LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace Power Steering O-Ring

• Moderators

So this is an old issue, and mostly well documented here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-o-ring-fix-197481.html

I didn't see any pics though, so I went ahead and took some when I recently changed mine out. Part number needed is 34439FG000, they were $1.85 at my stealership after I told them that $4.xx sounded ridiculous.

First pic shows the area you will be working in. In between the alternator and inlet. If you have an alternator shroud like I do you will want to remove it. Second pic is a bit closer in.

Third pic. Remove this bolt.

Fourth pic. Over to the right of the alternator and on the bottom side of the bracket. Loosen this bolt just so you can move the bracket out of the way a bit for better access. I don't recommend removing entirely, as there is another bracket on the backside of this bolt and you don't want to drop that. Plus there's no need.

Fifth pic. Now go back over to the power steering side, swing the bracket away a bit, and remove the 10mm bolt securing the line. Don't worry, nothing will leak at this point since you are just removing the bolt. In the pic, you might see that I unclipped the sensor there but you don't need to do that.

Sixth pic. Your new gasket!

Seventh pic. When you remove the line/fitting, you want to quickly lift it above the level of the fluid reservoir that is all the way over on your left on the fender. This will prevent you from losing much fluid, but have some paper towels / rags ready anyway. Avoid leaking fluid on any of your belts. In this pic, you can see that I propped up the line with a screwdriver against the alternator, worked pretty well.

Eighth pic. Coat your new o-ring in power steering fluid (ATF Dexron III in our case) and seat it COMPLETELY down in the pump. You could also choose to seat it on the line itself, but this is how I did it. If you coat it well and seat it well, either should work.

Then reassemble. The only tricky part is getting the line back in there quickly as it will want to leak once you start to bring it down below the reservoir level. Just put it in place, and gently wiggle until it starts to seat itself and then press it all the way in. Good to go.

Top off the reservoir as needed and be aware next time you drive as the system will bleed itself a bit as you drive and use the steering.

E04AA7D9-4A9B-47FE-916C-864520CD13B9_zpsltfu7ooa.thumb.jpg.229a3c340fb2689707e5c44e6eda92c6.jpg

CF57D550-E980-4AB1-8EC6-978931CECAB4_zpsfpqkjfzs.thumb.jpg.065fbbf1f4598827454cee9b214cd143.jpg

D3CEEE1E-D982-46FE-B3A9-6E026437A7F0_zps8le9ovfb.thumb.jpg.223c322b9688e39f8dd439c5cb70afe8.jpg

039FE387-8574-4AEA-9384-0C71DFDE9E8D_zpsjrevmv4c.thumb.jpg.848361a5922940aae12d17f9dfe79421.jpg

77054438-C2BF-4640-B16E-5F7803E178A2_zpseykal4rh.thumb.jpg.290388178d23a8813329ee49df87610d.jpg

4FF31252-F5D4-4887-83F4-F7724AD11AE9_zpslblfsiqg.thumb.jpg.da94fbcf1374319869c84b267bdc5856.jpg

759EABE9-69EC-4578-AD84-84D2FFEA96A1_zpsfvxhxxv0.thumb.jpg.d12e751319d870214fed24d200d61d53.jpg

E624BAB5-749C-4ED4-B040-5C8DB7C6A165_zpshsy3j8ig.thumb.jpg.7280978cc160173bc221f4ad390f609a.jpg

0AABB759-77C9-4FD7-B205-0B10433C3805_zpsnao3e10y.thumb.jpg.494007eae5ce461e7f1900bcddbdcfaf.jpg

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks for this, Mike!

Got the O-ring on order, and new wormy clamps waiting. Below is a video of my GF's EJ255 equipped Saab, showing signs of air in the system from O-ring failure and/or leaky clamps. Whine starts at 0:55.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xyw4OOkUFU&]2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero Power Steering Pump Whine & Bubbles Subaru WRX EJ255 - YouTube[/ame]

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this, Mike!

Got the O-ring on order, and new wormy clamps waiting. Below is a video of my GF's EJ255 equipped Saab, showing signs of air in the system from O-ring failure and/or leaky clamps. Whine starts at 0:55.

O-ring took a while to arrive, but the install was only about 10 minutes. Here's the after video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFMJNmTLSK0&]2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero Power Steering Pump O-Ring Fix Whine & Bubbles Subaru WRX EJ255 Part 2 Fixed - YouTube[/ame]

Quick, easy, fixed.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Just started getting ps whine noises from the pump of my 09 legacy (non-gt)... Was ready to pull the trigger on picking up a new pump, but will DEFINITELY try replacing the o-ring first! No signs of leaking from the rack or lines, but definitely signs of fluid leaking on the top of the pump housing... seems like a really slow leak though. I cleaned it up so I can find the source, and fingers crossed, its because of a $2 part.

Thanks for the insight!

If you have greasy accumulation on the top of the pump, this ring gasket is the likely culprit.

Since I ordered 2 for the Saabaru, and didn't need the backup, I did the job on my Legacy too... you can see it needed to be replaced (175k miles), but the pump was not making noise, even on cold start. The original "o-rings" were black, in both the Saabaru and LGT. I say o-ring because of shape, not construction, as these don't seem to be hollow at all (not a real O-ring).

FWIW the job was much cleaner on the Saabaru because it's got the lower PS fluid reservoir. Shook my fist at gravity and moved on, will have to hit it later with a scrub :mad::lol:

LGT before and after:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221818&stc=1&d=1450969932

759373585_PSb-a.thumb.jpg.fe2d8bdb1363249e5a58d641a398be2a.jpg

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the same noise that just started this winter. Zero leaks, zero build up, and I will be checking for bubbles today. Probably visiting the stealership in the A.M. Really hoping that O-ring is something they stock.

I have the same noise that just started this winter. Zero leaks, zero build up, and I will be checking for bubbles today. Probably visiting the stealership in the A.M. Really hoping that O-ring is something they stock.

Fairfield Subaru had it in stock when I decided to just go do it.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

This should be the 1st mod you do when you buy a '05 - '08. :lol:

What changed between '08 an '09? Larger o ring? My '09 isn't leaking but sure does squeal until the engine warms up. Makes me think a full flush and refil is in order too.

• 3 months later...

Guys I am having trouble finding the correct Oring from Subaru or online.

Im working on a 2008 Subaru Outback H6 LLBean Sedan.

Everywhere I look I see two different part numbers.

The Oring I pulled out looked like the 34439AE020 but I purchased the car used so not sure if it has been replaced or not.

Many places say my car takes the 34439FG000

This website shows it could be either.

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2008_OutbackLLBean/PUMP-POWER-STEERING/49502419/34430AG0119L.html

I replaced it with the AE020 number and I still have the whine. Beginning to wonder if I need to use the FG000.

• 5 months later...

Did this tonight. If you have a fluid pump to drain the PS res, it's much easier. Also I ended up putting the o-ring on the hose side, then putting that back. Just make sure you have it seated well or you get PS milkshake.

After the fix, I realised the wine wasn't coming from the PS pump in the first place. It's coming ether the alt, idler, AC pulley, or maybe even under the timing cover... FML

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Replaced this O-ring a while back- but I'm still leaking fluid. I'm going to put in a new pump unless one of the guru's here has a better plan (please have a better plan!)

If it's leaking on top of the pump, coming from the o-ring, I'd suspect the line before the pump - was the sealing surface for the o-ring on the line or top of the PS pump scored, or was their any debris present? I'd try replacing the o-ring again - when you do, check the sealing surfaces and make sure they are clean and smooth, and make sure you put some PS fluid on the o-ring before installing. I'd put the o-ring on the line, rather than into the space on the pump before installing (should work either way, but it's a lot easier to pinch the o-ring if you do it the other way)

I say o-ring because of shape, not construction, as these don't seem to be hollow at all (not a real O-ring)
What? I am not sure what you have been buying, but generally speaking, o-rings are solid (they would be really, really bad at their job if they were not!) Edited by DrD123

• 5 months later...
Ok, my 86 GT has the usuall Ford power steering issue, it whines like crazy It seems easy enough to replace, but where do you recomend getting the pump? Advance Auto, Autozone, NAPA, some Mustang parts house? What are the quality of the remans? Should I look for a new Ford pump?

Thanks

Is your model the Leone?

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 6 months later...

Thanks, I did this and it helped my problem (whining clattering noise from pump, hiccup'y steering at parking lot speeds) a LOT. But I've still got a little un-smoothness at low speeds, and some leakage around the pump (but I don't think it's from the o-ring).

I guess I need to replace the pump if I want these problems gone. The folks at subaruoutback-dot-org seem to think you're better off getting an OEM one from a junkyard than a re-manufactured one.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
Does anyone know the difference between 34439AE021 and 34439FG000?

I have a 2005 Outback 2.5i. Thanks.

See post #21 here, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-05-obxt-journal-287596.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here