Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ill be posting up some updated information based on the current board he has been making, also some suggestions and answer to questions that seem to be missing from the instructions as well as some very detailed photos.

I will say i struggled with this a bit, but we got it done, and made sure to take notes and pictures past a certain point that seems to be missing in this thread/instructions.

Very happy so far with the pro-kit even though its only been a few hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

It sounds like his issue is one I'm actually having with my test radio now. Eventually the CD drive starts to get fussy and won't read some recordable CD's. I would suggest trying alternate brands of CD-R's and/or maybe a drive cleaner disc would work - I'm not sure if the issue is the laser diode is dieing (possible) or if it's just dusty.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

jasejase - thanks for the reply. I had found Jazzy's link to Audacity and used that to burn the 'silent' CD, 180 minutes.

car_cursed/jazzymt - thanks for the replies.

The CD that came with the mod board seemed to be recognized, but the head kept jumping back and forth across the CD.

The CDs that I burned, AIFF, WAV, & MP3, all spun normally and the CD timer kept track of the time.

Even though they spun normally, it seems something was not being recognized and therefor nothing was being passed from the CD player to the radio/amplifier.

I'll be getting a CD cleaner disk today to try. I'll post results.

thanks,

westerly

The rep at the local computer store where I bought the lens cleaner recommended recording in CDA, an older standard audio format.

With info from

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Audio_CDs

(see Burning CDs)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Audio_track

I used Audacity to generate a silent AIFF at 1 hour and 8 minutes, on a Memorex CD-R, 700MB, 80 Minute, 52x Multi Speed disc;

brought it into iTunes so I could burn it as an Audio CD.

I selected 8x speed on the hunch that a faster burn might compromise the burn itself, don't know if this made a difference.

Reason for 1hr 8min is the comment from the Audacity man page Red Book spec #1 that the max recordable time on an 80 minute CD is 79.8 minutes; I backed off that maximum to be safe.

Used the CD lens cleaner; popped in the Memorex CD-R;

Taj Mahal never sounded sweeter.

Thanks for the suggestions;

westerly

^ Interesting.... CDA is kind of a fake music format.

It is a windows file format used basically when ripping cd's.... The thing about cda format is that it doesnt contain the actual audio file. It provides a start and stop time to the file, and redirects the application to the actual place the file is stored.... So... That would be interesting to see if you could burn to a cd in that format... If you were actually burning the 'song' to a disc, it would have to pull the files and make it into a playable audio format. Hmmmm... Maybe it would work to create 'dead air' during play. Not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
The iPod audio/charge adapter I got in my Jazzy kit died. I think the power and left audio are separating at the iPod adapter point. Anyone know if this is an easy fix to splice the wires back together ... or onto an extra iPod/USB adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the pro kit, it's pretty straight forward and relatively easy if you follow the supplied directions. The kit took about a week to arrive, but I live in Arizona so the ship time was only 1 day.

A couple things I didn't see mentioned while skimming through the thread:

1. If you are having low volume issues and you are using the 3.5mm audio jack on your mp3 player, make sure the volume is turned up high on the actual mp3 player.

2. I was able to run the rca to 3.5mm cable under the faux wood side trim on my legacy. I have it coming out about an inch back from the emergency brake release button. It's not the most convenient location but it works without having to do any drilling/cutting.