LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

Bought a new bike. Was torn between road bike and dirt but as I have become obsessed with dirt lately and I bought a 2018 Husqvarna FX450. Brand new. Has 2 hours of run time on it now.

fx4503.thumb.jpg.b961d8fbc78750b0bf3488452997b162.jpg

fx4504.thumb.jpg.d1b58a3670e3d9448ef0615c04358274.jpg

After the first ride.

fx4501.thumb.jpg.014a6ac894da8e94352cf52ad163df16.jpg

Edited by 05GT Guru

It's def a big step up from my 2007 yz250f. It's lighter despite being an e-start 450 with electronics, has more power, hydraulic clutch, air forks, traction control, e-start, fuel injection, 2 different maps you change by pushing the mode button. All things my old YZ didn't have. Really though I could live without most of that stuff as long as I got e-start.... I'm tired of kicking hot 4-strokes 50 times when they don't want to start.

It def didn't beat me up as much as my crf450r did. The lighter weight and TC probably play a big part in that. As you can see in the last pic there was mud and the TC did a amazing job of letting the rear end kick out and spin but only to a certain point. I could barely tell it was doing anything until I did a few laps with it turned off and rear end would swing out even faster and further.

The only difference I could tell between mode 1 and mode 2 was the mid range power. Bottom and top end felt similar(throttle is a little more touchie in mode 2) but in mode 1 mid range feels linear.... in mod 2 it's more violent.

Edited by 05GT Guru

• 6 months later...
Noticed I haven't posted anything in here since a couple weeks after I got my bike. Still have my 2018 MT07, currently sitting at about 5400 miles. Since my last update when I did the fender eliminator, full exhaust, and tune I have done a few more things... lol. In the last year and a half or so I've installed (in no specific order) a TST integrated tail light, Proton 500 flushmount front signals, Evotech rear peg delete, Evotech radiator guard, Ermax windscreen, Healtech quickshifter, Rhinomoto bar end mirror adaptors, a CRG Arrow on the left side for now, T-Rex Racing rear spool adapters/case covers/frame sliders, CRG RC2 levers, and Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tires. Unfortunately we're pretty much done with good riding weather here but I sneak in rides as much as I can when the weather is tolerable. Also have a few things I'm hoping to do over winter if I have any spare money.

20191213_132251.thumb.jpg.b0f97030d6df7ba04399b345238b7f1e.jpg

I grew up on bikes - started with a 70cc Honda dirtbike at age 12 and grew from there. Got married to a woman who didn't like bikes, so I rode less and less, and eventually sold my last two. I spent about 20 years bikeless. Got freed from the bike-hating ex and got back into biking. I find I don't ride nearly as much as I did when younger (usually for commuting in nice weather), but it's still nice to have one again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Got the KZR750R1 back on the road to realize it's not suited for what I want to do with it. Picking up a 2002 ZRX1200R tonight. Once I have both together will shoot some pics.

Edit:

Need to take some better pictures. Been shopping for accessories and upgrades for the ZRX... Not too long of a list. Definitely interested in the factory pro shift kit.

807561313_IMG_5779(002).jpg.05e772db3eef0149aa7bbed24a961363.jpg

Edited by kzr750r1

I really wanted to love the ZRX when they came out... much nostalgia for the GPzs I learned to ride on, and the ELRs of that era.

They're great bikes, I just wish they weren't so damn heavy. The only other problem is the lack of wind protection for highway speeds. At the time, I was on a ZX-9R that had more horsepower, a better fairing and weighed over 100 lbs less...

I'm loving it so far. Yeah it's a a big bike. Focusing on my weight reduction more than for the bike. Hard to see on this pic but the PO was a tinkerer. He cut and attached two other fairings over the stock one full hikster mode but it works at speed. Luckily he is a retired BART mechanic and did the right things putting this bike back on the road. Ticked all my boxes for a used ride. Thing pulls like train without breaking a sweat. This on only the second bike I've owned. Have had the KZ since 89 and my only reference point long term. It was just not cutting it for 300 mile days. THis majic carpet will keep me rolling for a long time.

The ZRX is heavy and tall. If you’re short in stature it can be challenging. I dropped about 20lbs on mine removing the stock exhaust for a Muzzy Megaphone. The low end torque will make you forget about the weight.:p
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Commifornia is making it harder to have any aftermarket emissions hw purchased. Looking into it most are not willing to go there with the fines being levied. I'm going to put a new muffler on it at minimum and just keep this pig running. There is no way I'll ever need more power than this is already providing me. Factory pro shift kit is being eyeballed to firm up the shifting.

• 1 year later...

I always liked the retro GPzs, except for the weight... saw a guy riding an 80's 750GPz in traffic yesterday.

Weird that we had this conversation on the previous page... almost 2 years ago... LOL

Yeah been a screwed up couple years.

I have to get back into the guts of the ZR motor on the KZ ('82 Gpz).

Just finished refreshing the BS34 carbs and the starter clutch finally pooched 100%.

ZRX turned into way more work than I had intended. Complete motor tear down was not initially in the plan. Ended up happy to go down the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did some work on the Fudge this off-season.

Givi top box with integrated brake lights

Fender eliminator

Integrated tail light with integrated turn signals and strobe

Low profile front led turn signals

Fun little projects for a fun bike.

caa0c526efb2ae07aa1e699a7e4c738e.jpg

• Haha 1

Brought to you by Pfizer

Wow that's a big trunk!

What bike is it? Hard for me to tell these days.

MC are like shoes for men. Each has a different purpose.

Still want a adventure bike but a long hauler Concourse 14 still calls me.

Wow that's a big trunk!

What bike is it? Hard for me to tell these days.

MC are like shoes for men. Each has a different purpose.

Still want a adventure bike but a long hauler Concourse 14 still calls me.

yeah it's a 56 liter, I like it because I can put my helmet and my wife's helmet in there at the same time.

It's a 2015 Yamaha FJ09. Nowadays they call it a Tracer 900. I'd say it's kind of a mix of a commuter bike with a hooligan bike. The crossplane inline 3 is hilariously torquey. Upright riding position makes it comfortable for longer journeys, and comfortably seats my wife and I. The bike is still pretty light at <500 lbs wet.

If I were to trade up the Harley Pan America seems pretty appealing, but that is many $$$$. If wanted a bike with an inline 4 I'd take a hard look at the Yamaha MT10. That crossplane 4 sounds like magic. Reminiscent of the Honda V4s of the 90s. :wub:

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer