LegacyGT.com

5eat Track Times

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year!

Many years ago, when I first started playing with my Legacy, I was at the same point that you are at today. I had a VF52, Cobb downpipe, AVO tmic, aftermarket BOV, Grimmspeed up and crossover pipes, Grimmspeed converted my TGVs and a stage 2 Cobb map. The car on the dyno, with what we found out later had a leaking tmic and would only allow for 15lbs of boost. But the engine made 289 whp and 280ft.lbs of torque. After learning that the tmic intercooler had a leak and fixing the leak we made another run and pulled 320 whp and 305ft. lbs of torque @18 lbs of boost on gas. At this time the car was using stock injectors. But when we made the next run we had converted to 750cc injectors.

Later we tried to push the turbo past 20lbs of boost and it lasted about two more hours of running time. You need to know that if you go over 20lbs of boost your IHI Turbo will live a very short life. The VF52 Turbo was never designed to exceed 19 lbs of boost. Plus, the rods used in the Legacy EJ series motor are not as strong as the STI motors rods and as you already know the pistons will go away at the slightest amount of detonation.

Frankly, you can modify your TGVs if you choose to do so. Its not that hard to do! Or you can have them modified by people like Grimmspeed, or you can purchase a composite set. They are just one more step that makes the intake process that much more efficient. Any of the above configurations will add the same amount of improvement in flow! Good luck.

Edited by Ezra1234
Left some info out!

What you are doing is setting your car up to Drag Race, not Road Race! The 5eat and especially the modified torque converter does not lend itself to road racing. You can put three large trans coolers on the vehicle and still boil the trans fluid if you do more than a lap on a road course. Plus, the torque converter wants to launch every time you drop the revs under the stall speed, which in essence on a road course is most corners. Hope this helps?

Definitely not looking to road race the legacy, it's just a daily with occasional track days, again thanks for the info.

When you say "occasional track days", do you mean "occasional trips down the drag strip" or "occasional lapping days" ?

If drag strip, this random thing you have going is probably be ok. Depending on how many passes you intend to make per day.

If lapping, engine mods are not going to help you drive home at the end of the day. A stock LGT has more than enough oomph to handle a lapping day easily. However, you'll go thru brake pads/rotors and tires and oil at a frightening rate.

If occasional lapping days is more than 1 or 2 a year, you've moved into the expensive end of lapping. As tires/brakes will become fast wear items.

Gotcha, looks like I'm keeping it at 19 psi then, and yes I hit the drag strip, no lapping or autocross here

Thanks for all the info and amd guidance, I know what my plans are for car now, I still have the urge to build another sc300, so that might happen in the future but I love the legacy as a daily it's extremely comfortable and practical. Even more comfortable when I hit the suspension! Thanks!

After everything's done il post up new.numbers and data

Edited by 08_GT

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
The 5eat can handle a lot of power if you have the right people build the Transmission. I won't waste your time going over my specific situation other than to say my new Subaru engine puts out close to 900 whp and I will be using the 5eat transmission that will be built shortly by Level 10. Along with highly modifying and re-programming the 5eat transmission the transmission, based on my discussion with Level 10, is capable of handling up to 1100 horsepower. Obviously this vehicle is used for carshows and drag racing only. We expect to turn about 150 to 160 in a little over 8 seconds starting this next summer.

Curious what did your car end up running or how fast have you gone in the legacy with 5EAT?

It is very hard to find documented "fast" 5EAT cars.

Level 10 is essentially local to me, same with IPT, so that is nice.

Edited by pjcampbell

I know its an old thread but I ran 11.824 on my full weight 5eat Legacy Spec B just over a month ago. Car is making 501whp and 402wtq on C16.

I can post the dyno graph and time slip if you like.

That is a lot of power but I would have thought quite a bit faster for the power (?). Trap speed?

That is a lot of power but I would have thought quite a bit faster for the power (?). Trap speed?

Haven't been able to make another event since with all that's going on in the world. We ran 11.8 on street tires. Had tons of wheel spin in 1st to 3rd. Hopefully the next run will be with proper tires on a prepped track. Will update once that happens.

Glad to hear your legacy has really improved since I last communicated with you. You asked about my legacy. Well it has been quite a journey. As you are aware, Subarus are relatively fragile when you really start developing the power. So, aside from blowing a couple of engines the car has come along. We lowered the weight to 2468lbs., which was no easy chore. To say it has been gutted is an understatement. We even removed the splash panel between the hood and the front window because we felt it weighed too much. Removed the front and back seats. We replaced all of the windows with quick change lexan and can replace a window in about five (5) minutes. We removed all the internal parts of the door panels and cut out the panels, replacing them with vinyl. We removed the sunroof, most of the wiring and converted to a new six speed using PPG gears. We removed the parking brake assembly and EBC made a set of front and back lightweight discs, which with our parachute stop the car with no problem. We replaced the driveshaft with a 3.25 diameter carbon fiber unit that weighs 15 lbs. However, we had to modify our tunnel and part of the differential mount to make it fit. Had a custom heavy duty r200 torsen 3.90 locked rear end installed with a large rear end oil cooler installed as well.

We have been testing it at a local paved airfield my friend owns and we measured off the quarter mile and according to our Fueltech digital dash we have run 151 mph averaged 8.6, 8.8 & 8.5 seconds. However, I am going to have to find a way to install a four link rearend if I want to go faster because even with slicks I'm still getting considerable evil wheelspin when I shift to 3rd gear even with the awd. So, if we can tame the car, which was given the name "Grandpa's Toy", I will be a very happy camper. I am fortunate that my buddy has the airstrip that is normally used for cropdusting as all the tracks in my area are closed because of the virus. Hope everything continues to go well for you?

Haven't been able to make another event since with all that's going on in the world. We ran 11.8 on street tires. Had tons of wheel spin in 1st to 3rd. Hopefully the next run will be with proper tires on a prepped track. Will update once that happens.

Thanks I am curious what was your trap speed?

Is that with a built 5EAT?

Glad to hear your legacy has really improved since I last communicated with you. You asked about my legacy. Well it has been quite a journey. As you are aware, Subarus are relatively fragile when you really start developing the power. So, aside from blowing a couple of engines the car has come along. We lowered the weight to 2468lbs., which was no easy chore. To say it has been gutted is an understatement. We even removed the splash panel between the hood and the front window because we felt it weighed too much. Removed the front and back seats. We replaced all of the windows with quick change lexan and can replace a window in about five (5) minutes. We removed all the internal parts of the door panels and cut out the panels, replacing them with vinyl. We removed the sunroof, most of the wiring and converted to a new six speed using PPG gears. We removed the parking brake assembly and EBC made a set of front and back lightweight discs, which with our parachute stop the car with no problem. We replaced the driveshaft with a 3.25 diameter carbon fiber unit that weighs 15 lbs. However, we had to modify our tunnel and part of the differential mount to make it fit. Had a custom heavy duty r200 torsen 3.90 locked rear end installed with a large rear end oil cooler installed as well.

We have been testing it at a local paved airfield my friend owns and we measured off the quarter mile and according to our Fueltech digital dash we have run 151 mph averaged 8.6, 8.8 & 8.5 seconds. However, I am going to have to find a way to install a four link rearend if I want to go faster because even with slicks I'm still getting considerable evil wheelspin when I shift to 3rd gear even with the awd. So, if we can tame the car, which was given the name "Grandpa's Toy", I will be a very happy camper. I am fortunate that my buddy has the airstrip that is normally used for cropdusting as all the tracks in my area are closed because of the virus. Hope everything continues to go well for you?

That is wild - seems like this should be one of the quickest H pattern (assuming it is not sequential?) Subarus out there?

are there more pictures somewhere?

Ahhh nice, I would suspect the potential is much quicker with an 128mph trap speed.

I have been thinking about doing a forged motor supercharged EZ30 with 5EAT (that is what they come with here). I think it could make 600whp fairly easily on my Vortech V3 Si that I currently have on my EJ25. Just a thought right now!!!

Edited by pjcampbell

Running in the 8's?!? That's amazing. I think that puts you in fastest lgt of all category.

so, you going to sell the lexan window panels? :)

I can't remember what company, but somebody makes a front and rear subframe that bolts in. I saw it awhile ago, each piece was about 3k.

I can't find the site, but I think it allowed for a better suspension setup.

I can't remember what company, but somebody makes a front and rear subframe that bolts in. I saw it awhile ago, each piece was about 3k.

I can't find the site, but I think it allowed for a better suspension setup.

a number of companies make cro-moly subframes. Unfortunately none of them make it for the lgt. I contacted mooresport & tssfab several years ago to have a rear subframe made. Development cost was 5 figures plus minimum order..

For this application, a one-off would be worth the effort . Especially with the shop doing the work (great fab shop)

Wow would love to see a write up with pics on how you put the car on a diet! That’s a huge drop in weight! Would love to see your switch to lexan for the windows as that makes sense for my track car.