LegacyGT.com

NEW Nav firmware update 11-21-16 for 15 and 16 Legacy

Does this update rectify the issue of my iPhone not displaying song/artist info off Spotify when plugged into USB? My ‘15 Legacy with the H/K nav headunit has never (since I’ve owned it) never displays the info on my screen when I’ve got my iPhone 7 plugged in. I’ve updated my phone software to the most recent and nothing changed. I’ve spoken to my dealer and they keep pleading ignorance, super annoying! Mind you, everything works fine over Bluetooth. Further (don’t know if related) when I go to use Waze or google map on my phone while plugged into usb, it seems my phone is unable to accurately find my location. If I unplug from usb, problem solved. Wanted to check in and see if anyone else has experienced this so I can perhaps learn how to rectify the issue.

I believe that was solved a few updates ago.

Does this update rectify the issue of my iPhone not displaying song/artist info off Spotify when plugged into USB? My ‘15 Legacy with the H/K nav headunit has never (since I’ve owned it) never displays the info on my screen when I’ve got my iPhone 7 plugged in. I’ve updated my phone software to the most recent and nothing changed. I’ve spoken to my dealer and they keep pleading ignorance, super annoying! Mind you, everything works fine over Bluetooth. Further (don’t know if related) when I go to use Waze or google map on my phone while plugged into usb, it seems my phone is unable to accurately find my location. If I unplug from usb, problem solved. Wanted to check in and see if anyone else has experienced this so I can perhaps learn how to rectify the issue.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Fiatz79, thanks! Do you by chance have any information about the update, such as a software number or TSB number? I want to be able to properly document this with my dealer. They seem to be utterly clueless about anything software related.

Update;

I downloaded a song from iTunes and saved it to my iPhone. Now, when I plug in via USB all affiliated data (song name, artist, album, artwork) are all displayed when I open and run Spotify. Once plugged in, the car automatically starts playing the downloaded track from iTunes so I need to manually open Spotify and play the song that way. In no way am I complaining about having to open Spotify, just thought it strange that the fix was downloading music off iTunes. Still planning on paying a visit to the dealership to get them to do a software update but I doubt I’ll get anywhere. Anyone have any input on this as to why it might happen?

• 2 weeks later...

So the forum limits PDF attachments to 1.22MB but I was able to find the latest revision of 15-205-16R dated January 30th 2019 and attach the first two pages outlining the fixes as well as the software versions here.

I tried having the dealer flash it but they seemed completely incompetent. First telling my they couldn't find a TSB for my car, then when I shared the specific number they said they found it but when I checked they had downloaded an old version from August 2018 that didn't fix my SiriusXM issue and sent me on my way. Thinking that returning to them would be another circus I started digging online and found the documents / updates!

You all can access this too from the Subaru Technical Information System website which looks like it's run by SOA:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/

For $35 they allow users 3-day access to all of their technical documents! This includes TSB's, Head Unit Updates, even the dealer Service Repair Manual! I registered and spent the weekend downloading as many PDF's & Updates as I could for my Subaru. In the TSB is a link to the download page for the software updates.

I'm pretty good with computers so feeling I could probably do a better job than the average mechanic I dug around myself (thinking about it, shouldn’t there be at least one computer tech at dealers to work jobs like these and not the guys doing the wrenching?).

The update was successful and my SiriusXM issue was fixed. Part 1 takes 15 minutes to download and 2 minutes after reboot, Part 2 takes 10 minutes to download and 5 minutes after reboot. You need a 2GB min - 4GB Max flash drive which I had to buy on eBay since I had nothing that small. They recommend a battery maintainer so that the voltage doesn't drop while updating. I used my generic one on the 12V 2A trickle charge setting which maintained 12.3V through the update. You can't just leave the car running as the TSB says the update will abort if the voltage rises above 14.5V which my alternator would spike at 14.7V. You don't want a bricked HU.

If you chizzlers are too cheap to pay $35 for the software directly from SOA and this forum allows I did download all of the Jan 30 '19 files for each year / model. I will only respond to a request in a PM with you specifying the EXACT software version you need from the linked PDF (ex OU9312) as well as a link to a shared folder on YOUR google drive so that I can upload. PLEASE ALSO MAKE SURE PERMISSIONS ALLOW GUESTS TO UPLOAD. If you are unaware how to do this you probably shouldn't be flashing the updates in the first place :p. Once you get the file take a backup to your local machine so that if I clear older files to free up space you don't lose the updates. I make no promises that these updates will work and take no responsibility if you brick your HU. Mon-Thurs I am at my computer 9-6pm. If you msg me outside of that expect a delayed response.

15-205-16R_013019Pg1-2.pdf

Edited by protivakid

... I did download all of the Jan 30 '19 files for each year / model.

Are you saying that the firmware files are now available for paid download from STIS, or did you obtain them from other sources? ... or is there once again a working download link included in the TSB?

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Are you saying that the firmware files are now available for paid download from STIS, or did you obtain them from other sources? ... or is there once again a working link later in the TSB?

I obtained them right from the official link in the STIS TSB document. It required me to login with my 3-day pass.

I obtained them right from the official link in the STIS TSB document. It required me to login with my 3-day pass.

Aha! That's an improvement. Previously, head unit firmware was not officially available for download from STIS, even with paid access. This policy is more reasonable.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So the forum limits PDF attachments to 1.22MB but I was able to find the latest revision of 15-205-16R dated January 30th 2019 and attach the first two pages outlining the fixes as well as the software versions here.

I tried having the dealer flash it but they seemed completely incompetent. First telling my they couldn't find a TSB for my car, then when I shared the specific number they said they found it but when I checked they had downloaded an old version from August 2018 that didn't fix my SiriusXM issue and sent me on my way. Thinking that returning to them would be another circus I started digging online and found the documents / updates!

You all can access this too from the Subaru Technical Information System website which looks like it's run by SOA:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/

For $35 they allow users 3-day access to all of their technical documents! This includes TSB's, Head Unit Updates, even the dealer Service Repair Manual! I registered and spent the weekend downloading as many PDF's & Updates as I could for my Subaru. In the TSB is a link to the download page for the software updates.

I'm pretty good with computers so feeling I could probably do a better job than the average mechanic I dug around myself (thinking about it, shouldn’t there be at least one computer tech at dealers to work jobs like these and not the guys doing the wrenching?).

The update was successful and my SiriusXM issue was fixed. Part 1 takes 15 minutes to download and 2 minutes after reboot, Part 2 takes 10 minutes to download and 5 minutes after reboot. You need a 2GB min - 4GB Max flash drive which I had to buy on eBay since I had nothing that small. They recommend a battery maintainer so that the voltage doesn't drop while updating. I used my generic one on the 12V 2A trickle charge setting which maintained 12.3V through the update. You can't just leave the car running as the TSB says the update will abort if the voltage rises above 14.5V which my alternator would spike at 14.7V. You don't want a bricked HU.

If you chizzlers are too cheap to pay $35 for the software directly from SOA and this forum allows I did download all of the Jan 30 '19 files for each year / model. I will only respond to a request in a PM with you specifying the EXACT software version you need from the linked PDF (ex OU9312) as well as a link to a shared folder on YOUR google drive so that I can upload. If you are unaware how to do this you probably shouldn't be flashing the updates in the first place :p. I make no promises that these updates will work and take no responsibility if you brick your HU.

Thanks for this, glad the files are available now. I went ahead and paid the $35, well worth it, to get the update plus access to the technical documents.

Were you able to download the full service manual? I don't see an option for that, just one with clickable sections. I guess they don't let you download a full PDF of that.

Thanks for this, glad the files are available now. I went ahead and paid the $35, well worth it, to get the update plus access to the technical documents.

Were you able to download the full service manual? I don't see an option for that, just one with clickable sections. I guess they don't let you download a full PDF of that.

Yes I was able to get the full service manual. There is a checkbox on the left for service manuals the same way you search for TSB's. Check that, fill out the Model & Year, and a PDF should come up. They are a good size.

S I did download all of the Jan 30 '19 files for each year / model.

I updated my 2015 to OU9020, thanks protivakid.

Does anybody have a list of what the updated version numbers should be for the different variables?

'Nor' and 'eSD' show OU9020, most the other variables have a different numbering system, and 'DB' shows OU9016 which was my previous version. Does that imply that the second update didn't take?

TSB 15-182-15R had this list, but no list in 16-205-16 or 16R:

LEGACY / OUTBACK

NOR NU9011

eSD NU9011

POWER 02.4026

CAN 14.0012

POWER BOOT 02.4017

POWER VCL 02.0103

DB NU9011

Edited by snoobie
wrong version number shown

Does that imply that the second update didn't take?

Yes. After a successful update (in a 2015 Legacy/Outback w/o NAV), NOR, eSD, and DB should all be OU9020. In addition, CAN should have updated to 14.0015.

spacer.png

Yes. After a successful update (in a 2015 Legacy/Outback w/o NAV), NOR, eSD, and DB should all be OU9020. In addition, CAN should have updated to 14.0015.

Thanks! I actually reflashed both updates and everything is up to date now. I didn't feel like waiting around for them to finish, so I took a cue from Ford instructions when updating SYNC... the car needs to be in park when starting the update, but not while it's updating. Started the first update on the way to lunch, started the second on the way back... just made sure it was finished with each update before shutting off engine.

Thanks! I actually reflashed both updates and everything is up to date now. I didn't feel like waiting around for them to finish, so I took a cue from Ford instructions when updating SYNC... the car needs to be in park when starting the update, but not while it's updating. Started the first update on the way to lunch, started the second on the way back... just made sure it was finished with each update before shutting off engine.

The instructions say if the voltage rises above 14.5V the update will abort. My original idea was to keep the car on but after reading that I decided against it. You got very lucky that either that is untrue or you had enough load on your alternator that it didn't rise. Had it aborted you may be riding around with a bricked HU. Either way glad it worked.

Got this successfully done last night, thank you to protivakid! Sirius now works again.

Took me 20 mins to figure out why the stereo wasn't reading the .exe files :lol:

That's what I get for skipping over the directions!

Glad it worked out, I read everything 2-3 times and really crossed my T's and dotted my I's. I didn't want to be buying a new HU if the update failed.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Is there an Australian version of the updated firmware? How do we access it? What about Aussie maps?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at the PDF page I shared. If a radio model# on that page matches the model# on the face of your radio you could try the update. No promises it will work and won't render the unit unusable so weight the risks.

Take a look at the PDF page I shared. If a radio model# on that page matches the model# on the face of your radio you could try the update. No promises it will work and won't render the unit unusable so weight the risks.

I’ve checked my versions...it’s NA not NU

Do you reckon it’ll still work?

IMG_2974.thumb.jpg.5ef15b76d98a03b49062c3ad88bae19c.jpg

IMG_2973.thumb.jpg.1534a9a8d44d6859e18759de0fd606d0.jpg

[ATTACH]274740[/ATTACH][ATTACH]274741[/ATTACH]

What's the number on the face of your radio? And does it match any in the PDF?

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe ... if you don't mind replacing the Australia map database with the North America maps.

spacer.png

Hello, can you send me these files for my Subaru Legacy 2,5i Limited 2015 y. my email is < tor55@i.ua > Thanks!! NU9021_USB_1st.exe

NU9021_USB_2nd.exe

According to new TSB can any one please share the file NU9021 for my 2015 SU Legecy with NAV. i m at 9020 and Mirror link does not work and its Canadian Vehicle. Highly appreciate your help.

Hello, can someone send me these files to my email is < jassius@gmail.com > Thanks!! NU9021_USB_1st.exe

NU9021_USB_2nd.exe or NU9020_USB_1st.exe

NU9020_USB_2nd.exe

Like I said in my post, PM me with a google drive link