LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see what you find out about these.

Bad news, managed to track down the owner of the car. Turns out he purchased the car with these already installed, so he has no background information on what/where their from.

Upon a brief inspection as well, they appeared to just be tips rather than pipes. Oh well. :redface:

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any reason why the raptor kit couldn't be modified to fit the Tribeca? I have an 08 with the 3.6 which is good fun to drive. I know these motors are tough, mine has 355k on the odometer. Original motor, nothing done but mobile 1 synth oil changes.

Is there any reason why the raptor kit couldn't be modified to fit the Tribeca? I have an 08 with the 3.6 which is good fun to drive. I know these motors are tough, mine has 355k on the odometer. Original motor, nothing done but mobile 1 synth oil changes.

355k?!?! Holy hell, that's awesome to hear! The limit on the tribeca would be the length of the engine mounts for the headers. The issue with the outback was to clear the frame it needed a bigger spacer then a legacy. That would be the only issue I could see arising. Its the same engine and it gets the vehicle into another level while reducing pressure on the block.

Btw with that many miles, has there been any issues with anything or just routine maintanence???

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

...I'm planning on trying the Raptor headers out on my Tribeca. Hopefully it'll happen this year, w/trying to move and still finish my LGT it's taking.g a little longer though.

So I recently ordered the Tactrix to get my 3.6R tuned. Will be tuned on stock headers, mid pipe, and exhaust. My question is when I do get the raptors and build custom mid pipe, how much power will I'll be leaving on the table if I run stock exhaust and mufflers?

What is preferred piping sizing? 2.5" or 3"?

Should I run single or dual mufflers?

For the mid pipe would you recommend 2.5" or 3" cats?

Want to plan this out, so I can buy parts piece by piece over the course of the remainder of year and then get it all welded.

Thanks.

So many questions... so little time.

Ghia, did you get and read my PMs re the tune?

I will chime in with answers to above soon.

Am likely the only 3.6R that has had extensive exhaust work, re-work done.

From stock to catback to headers to catless to mini resonators, metal core cats, single resonator, multi resonator, different ID piping, etc.

It depends who you ask. Honestly not much, maybe a few hp.

If you look under the car, Our pipes go from 2 at the engine to 1 y, back to 2 mufflers..it won't matter either way bc we aren't a true dual setup

Do 2.5" cats bc the raptors are 2.25 each, bigger won't help and could actually reduce power due to lack of exhaust velocity

If you're doing the exhaust past the y n resonator, do it last. Raptors make the biggest difference.

I think perscitus can confirm the most since he's been with all different combinations

Good info Golferdude. Yes, 2.25" or 2.5" should be great for an NA 3.6R, helps with exhaust gas velocity, cylinder scavenging, etc.

Unlike FI, these engines don't really need larger piping, 3" ID exhaust hurts low RPM torque, while hitting slightly higher (likely margin of error) peak TQ/HP numbers up top.

As posted by a few members earlier in this thread, once the headers go on, if the cats and y are left stock (further downstream doesn't really matter), its just a question of time WHEN the stock cats will fail (start to collapse). Not good for the headers or the engine, let alone power. Typical symptoms include a chemical smell at WOT, low/mid RPM bogging, misfires on random cylinders, especially at operating temperature, discoloring of the raptor runners leading away from one or a few exhaust ports.

Visual inspection of the cat insides will confirm but of course this requires the exhaust be cut up either way.

So for anyone contemplating installing headers, at the very least remove the stock cats and replace with some hi-flow (say 200-300-400 cell; 200 is optimal but louder and might cause CL MILs/DTCs to set for the rear O2s without additional tuning) ceramic or metal core cats.

For 3.6Rs which plan to remain NA (most) post header install, I'd recommend one of the three following setups (FI setup for reference):

Conservative reliable setup (closest to stock but still plenty good):

Raptor headers (2.25" ID runner outlet flange) -> stock Y-pipe (Vibrant or Magnaflow 200-400 cell hi-flow cats with small ID/OD say 2-2.25" to make welding into the stock y easier: metal core is better, ceramic slightly cheaper) -> stock catback

2.25" piping option, better flowing than above:

Raptor headers (2.25" ID runner outlet flange) -> 2.25" SS Y-pipe (with 2.25" Vibrant or Magnaflow 200-400 cell hi-flow cats) -> stock catback or 2.25" catback with at least 1 perforated core straight-through resonator in the mid-pipe (say 18" long Vibrant bottle style or 14" long Vibrant Ultra quiet)

2.5" piping option, might be a wash with 2.25" flavor:

Raptor headers (2.25" ID runner outlet flange) -> 2.5" SS Y-pipe (with 2.5" Vibrant or Magnaflow 200-400 cell hi-flow cats) -> 2.5" catback with at least 1 perforated core straight-through resonator in the mid-pipe (say 18" long Vibrant bottle style or 14" long Vibrant Ultra quiet)

SC or Turbo-ready option:

Raptor headers (2.25" ID runner outlet flange) -> 3-3.5" SS Y-pipe (with 3-4" Vibrant or Magnaflow 200-400 cell hi-flow cats) -> 3-3.5" catback (resonator likely not needed for Turbo setup, thanks to the muffling effect)

1. when I do get the raptors and build custom mid pipe, how much power will I'll be leaving on the table if I run stock exhaust and mufflers?

2. What is preferred piping sizing? 2.5" or 3"?

3. Should I run single or dual mufflers?

4. For the mid pipe would you recommend 2.5" or 3" cats?

1. Not much, raptors and paired hi-flow cats are key, y-pipe secondary, catback tertiary.

2. Depends, see above. I'd vote 2.25" or 2.5" max.

3. Your call, I'd keep her dual - if you go aftermarket they are already much smaller than stock and the combined weight is likely less or equal to just one stock muffler.

4. 2.25" or 2.5", ideally matching the fabricated y-pipe ID or as close as possible to the stock y-pipe (if keeping the stock y).

Edited by Perscitus

Since you're in Florida Ghia, you could actually go mild steel y pipe if you really need to save money. The stainless is essential where there is salt and can eat away at the car but down there mild might be fine

Since you're in Florida Ghia, you could actually go mild steel y pipe if you really need to save money. The stainless is essential where there is salt and can eat away at the car but down there mild might be fine

Most decent shops work with aluminized steel, so it won't rust, but still looks decent or at least better than stock. If you, there is a great shop near me that can do just about anything you would want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You think it's possible/quieter if you have a resonator welded in right after each cat?
Yup. If the y-pipe design and/or cat location allows it, this is ideal.

I tried to do it but it was impossible on my setup.

Shortest practical resonators I've found are ~7-9" long with trimmed flanges and that wouldn't fit for me. Others mileage might very.

The most important thing when fabricating a custom y or replacing the stock cats on the stock y is to keep the AFR and the rear O2 bung locations at the same distance as stock and the cats ~ at the same location as stock.

Otherwise, injector latency and other tables will need additional (unnecessary) tuning.

Yup. If the y-pipe design and/or cat location allows it, this is ideal.

I tried to do it but it was impossible on my setup.

Shortest practical resonators I've found are ~7-9" long with trimmed flanges and that wouldn't fit for me. Others mileage might very.

The most important thing when fabricating a custom y or replacing the stock cats on the stock y is to keep the AFR and the rear O2 bung locations at the same distance as stock and the cats ~ at the same location as stock.

Otherwise, injector latency and other tables will need additional (unnecessary) tuning.

This is tough to do but if it's possible it will be VERY quiet

• 2 weeks later...

So not sure how these would sound on a 3.6R with Raptors and the above recommended y-pipe, etc. I'm thinking of purchasing OBX Mugen Replica Twin Loop Mufflers. I know they had a nice tone on all-motor civic, so I figure two of them should sound unique. They are only about $120/each shipped and full S/S.

As for the y-pipe in mild steel, I intend to get it ceramic or jet hot coated.

Speaking of exhaust for the 3.6R, anybody feeling brave enough to give this item (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/custom-ark-exhaust-lgt-houston-tx-253820.html) from the classifieds a try to see how it sounds? A bit pricey, but it seems like it should fit for us since it fits the GT.

Speaking of exhaust for the 3.6R, anybody feeling brave enough to give this item (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/custom-ark-exhaust-lgt-houston-tx-253820.html) from the classifieds a try to see how it sounds? A bit pricey, but it seems like it should fit for us since it fits the GT.

That won't be a direct bolt up so you have a very small chance of anyone trying it.

Something else to consider, those resonators are going to be tuned for a 4-cylinder engine, and that's going to change the sound a lot. Kinda like how some other cans sound good on a GT but drone like crazy on a 3.6R.