LegacyGT.com

whining noise after clutch change

BigRich

Hey all i just bought an 08 2.5i with a 5 speed transmission for my girl and noticed a fairly bad whining noise coming from either the transmission or the rear end. It starts at around 30 mph never goes away and gets considerably louder at highway speeds. The car is a bit difficult to get into 1st gear but i believe that the clutch just needs adjustment to cure that. The guy i bought it from said that it started doing that noise after he got the clutch replaced.

The noise continues regardless if the car is in neutral or in gear or if the clutch is depressed or not. The car drives just fine besides the issue shifting into first. The guy i got it from told me he drove it 30 miles a day to work and back without issues. Also the engine revs slightly to about 1300 rpm and back to 700 rpm, this repeats constantly if the clutch is pushed in but if its in neutral that doesnt happen. This is our first nonturbo subie and am just looking for some pointers as to where to start.

I own a shop where all we do is work on and build turbo subies and never had a car that does this. For what i paid for this car i can afford to put some work into it to get this fixed but i hope its something cheap and easy as it hot as balls here in az!

Much thanks for the help!!

Read around the forum, there was someone the other day with idle issues like those.

Ride in the back seat, you can hear a lot from back there.

I think you have two issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

So the whining noise was coming from a set a bad rear wheel bearings. $118.77 at O'reillys plus an hr of labor to change them out. That was pretty simple.

So the idle problem was partially being caused by a bad battery. Changed the battery out and it actually got worse. Checked all the normal sensors that would be causing idle/fuel issues (02 sensor,IAC sensor, knock sensor, TPS, Mass airflow, etc,etc...). All were fine. Then i remember what a friend of mine told me the last time we were at STI factory in Japan,

"We occasionally have issues with faulty battery if the car sits too long before getting ready to be shipped off with the service battery pack. We replace the the service battery and cycle the fuel MAP back to factory presets."

Not sure why it popped up in my head but im glad it did. After a call to my friend in Japan he told the sequence.

Remove negative battery lead

Step on the break for roughly 30 seconds

Reattatch negative battery lead

Turn key to the "on" postion and wait for the dash lights to cycle, also listen for 3 "pops" coming from the glove box area.

Repeat this sequence 3 times

Start the car after the 4th time

My theory is that the TPS gets confused to were it is actually sitting after a battery change. I also shot some carb cleaner into the throttle body per my friend's suggestion. It was sorta dirty when i scoped it when i was try to diagnose the issue.

I have driven it about 150 miles since i did this and the idle surging issue has not popped back up, also i have noticed a increase in MPG to around 23 in the city and 26 on the freeway. Also i have noticed an increase in torque but havent had time to plug my computer in the see if it actually increased or its just running properly and im noticing it not running poorly.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.:)

Archived