LegacyGT.com

first day checklist?

So I picked up a '93 "L" wagon last night for $1,800 - pretty excited.

Its a one owner with 76,000 miles and in really nice shape, little bit of rust forming around the wheel wells, but not bad at all. The interior however is mint... The battery is new and the tires are good, although I would like to find some newer Subbie wheels for it soon.

I was going to run by the parts shop tonight and grab some stuff to give her a little tune up right off the bat.

Here is a list of what I thought I would grab for now:

5qt of 10w30 + filter

air filter

NGK plugs + wires

BELT - the belt looks like it will snap at any minute

Anything else you guys would suggest doing/buying right away?

I am going to change the diff fluids and tranny fluid/filter once the weather is nicer. BTW

What belt? The timing belt?

Replace the fuel filter, and clean the MAF. Check your ignition coil and injectors. Run some injector cleaner or seafoam.

I thought it was a serpentine belt...? I will wait on this for a bit and probably look around for a timing belt kit w/water pump as well. I ordered a shop manual for the car but that will not be here for a week.

Fuel filter - check.

Ignition coil looks/tests good.

As for the seaform, do you just put some in the gas tank or is there another method like a breather on the throttle-body that you let the motor suck it into or another method?

THANKS-

Always a good idea to pull codes just to see if any stored. Checking and cleaning up grounds/battery connections is cost free. Also check rubber bits on Brake Lines, CVJ's, Tie rod ends, Ball Joints, and PS rack. Safety First!

Enjoy your "new" Leggy !

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

For seafoam you out 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and the last 1/3 you pour into your brake booster line while the car is running. Pour it slowly so you don't stop the engine.

If you want the official Subaru Factory service manual I can email it to you. Me your email if interested.

If you live near the rust belt check the brake lines and fuel lines. They run under the rear seat and through the interior, but where they transition to the interior from the exterior there is a rubber grommet that hold moisture and rots the lines. All my lines still had paint on them except for where they ran into those grommets (Which was where they all inevitably broke). Brake lines on the passenger side, fuel lines on the driver side.

Archived