LegacyGT.com

Need Help: 2008 Bumper Removal

choppedair

Yes, I searched first! ;)

Every thread I found says to remove the four pop-its on top of the grille, all of the pop-its underneath the bumper and the two in the wheel well. Those are all off.

From what the other threads said I need to "wiggle" the bumper off. Well I've been "wiggling off" in the garage for a while now and haven't got it off. :lol:

The bottom of the bumper cover is free, the top of the grille is free, but I cannot visualize how the bumper slides off and I feel like I'm going to break it. I've never taken apart a car held together by plastic clips everywhere. :eek:

Am I trying to slide the bumper forward where it meets the fender, or should it pull out to the sides? Are there any pictures showing how it is connected?

I know I am going to feel like an idiot once it comes off, ugh.

Okay, I got it. The part of the plastic bumper cover that meets the fender is held in with plastic clips. It essentially just pulls apart, although more easily with a flathead pushed into the slots to release.

I will try to post pictures later for the next idiot who can't figure it out.

You don't need a flat head to get the front bumper off. Like you stated there are clips along the top edge of the bumper under the lights. Just pull from the fender edge out and they should come loose. Its easier if you have a friend hold the other side so bumper doesn't fall to the ground.

I've had my bumper off more times I can remember and its a snap now. Easy enough for me to do it by myself now.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I pulled it off by myself without any real problems, just used a gas can under the center of the bumper cover. I am sure I could pull it off in a few minutes now, seeing how it comes off. I could not find any clarification on the website and it felt like it was going to break.

Thanks for the help anyway. I'm waiting for the last coat of clear to dry on the grille and fog surrounds, head lights are done. I'm so anxious to put it all back on and see how much better it looks.

I just took my bumper off yesterday to clear my headlights now im paranoid that it is aligned differentley when i put it back on. Is it possible for it to be aligned slightly different after taking it off and putting it back on or am I just crazy. it is sticking out about 3mm on the right and tucked in about the same on the left but I cant tell if it was like that before.

I just took my bumper off yesterday to clear my headlights now im paranoid that it is aligned differentley when i put it back on. Is it possible for it to be aligned slightly different after taking it off and putting it back on or am I just crazy. it is sticking out about 3mm on the right and tucked in about the same on the left but I cant tell if it was like that before.

Push the top edge of the bumper cover under the headlights to seat the bumper cover back into the clips. Sounds like that is your problem :)

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Have you cleared your lights yet? I can't remember if you did or did not when I saw your car at Nockamixon.:confused:

Naw no cleared lights. I'd like to but my head lights already fog up a little on some nights. I'll have to talk to the dealer next time I go back there.

I had my bumper off today again. Trying to get it up on some old school metal ramps and that shit wasn't working. Had to go out and get some new low profile ramps.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

• 3 weeks later...
revive. got those pictures? Am about to do this to install my HID fogs and don't want to break anything

There are two pop its that hold the bumper to the front end and two pop its that hold the grill to the bumper skin that need to be removed also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/bumper-1.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took off all the pop rivets from the underbody, 1 on each side of the grille and 1 in each fender well behind the liner. The bumper was still on pretty good and I couldn't get it to pull away. It seemed to be hung up under each headlight.

Am I missing some more pop rivets that need to come off or do I need to pull with more force? I don't want to end up snapping any clips, especially if they're attached to the headlight.

I'll try to help everyone out. Reference this article first to note where all the clips are. CLICK.

I've taken off the bumper skin about 5 times now and it's fairly straight forward now that I've got the process down.

Two essential tools I have on hand:

Needle pick

Clip removal tool (angled)

I use the clip removal tool so I don't break anything. Who wants a bumper that's flapping around. The angled one is great for getting the one behind the fender liner.

I start by removing all the clips. I don't undo the top 4 that are on the frame. I make sure to release both sides of the bumper first so the bumper won't drop on the ground. Pull the fender liner out of the way partially (1/2 way)

The reason a lot of people are scared to rip their bumpers off is because the sides are still attached and don't know the force it requires to undo them. They're held in to these plastic brackets (car)with a tab/lip (bumper). The bumper has the tabs that slide right over the lip and held in place. This is where I use the pick tool. I grab one end of the bumper, tugging slight down and out to expose the tab. I use the pick to lift the edge up over the lip and it comes right off. There are 4 of these before reaching the headlight. Once you've reached the headlights you can tug on the bumper and it comes out easily. Do this for both ends before removing the top 4 clips.

Here's a reference of the tabs on the bumper. They're on each end of the bumper.

Bumper (tabs seen at both ends, 4 each side)

Bracket (black piece connected to the car)

I took off all the pop rivets from the underbody, 1 on each side of the grille and 1 in each fender well behind the liner. The bumper was still on pretty good and I couldn't get it to pull away. It seemed to be hung up under each headlight.

Am I missing some more pop rivets that need to come off or do I need to pull with more force? I don't want to end up snapping any clips, especially if they're attached to the headlight.

HA! Finally... someone who has the same issue as me. Now i'm not the only crazy one :eek::spin::spin::eek:

Archived