LegacyGT.com

VF52 Turbo, any experience?

travisbc

Have the opportunity to buy an '05 LGT (63k miles) with upgraded VF52 turbo. Has 4k miles on the upgrades (everything else looks properly matched, injectors, fuel pump etc). Wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge with this set up?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a vf52 on stock pump/injectors. It's a nice upgrade from the vf40 because it doesn't fall on it's face as hard up top.

ehh. still doesnt keep it to redline like bigger turbos.

But I just put in my vf52 (less than 800 miles) and I upgraded to a dw65c fuel pump. Im running around 320whp.

Id want to see paper work of where it was put in and what else has been done to the car. 65k miles is definitely good mileage but its hard to think that because of the upgraded turbo that the car hasnt been beat on. But an upgraded turbo is worth it because you dont have to worry about the vf40 blowing into your motor and you have obviously more power.

I would bring the car to a reputable subaru mechanic and test EVERYTHING. Go halfs on the cost of it (prob $100). I am paying dearly for my recent car purchase. In the 3 months ive owned it I had to replace the tires, rear brakes, turbo, and center diff...

Definitely make sure it checks out before you end up buying it.

Is it dealership or private sale. Got a link to it?

Sorry, I didn't mean it keeps same boost all the way to redline. I just meant it doesn't fall as hard up top. It definitely still falls off but not as bad as a vf40, makes more power, and spools pretty darn close to the vf40 which was the one reason why I went with the vf52. I would consider it a great upgrade to the vf40 for a DD car with still keeping the stock TMIC or LGT TMIC. If you wanted to go with a FMIC or a different top mount I would suggest the hta68. Spools quickly and holds great power up top.

But back to the reason the OP posted. Going with what spc said... I would try and get an idea on how the previous owner ran it. Definitely take it to a subaru garage to get it looked over. Like spc, I am paying for stupid things with my spec b I bought.

ehh. still doesnt keep it to redline like bigger turbos.

But I just put in my vf52 (less than 800 miles) and I upgraded to a dw65c fuel pump. Im running around 320whp.

Id want to see paper work of where it was put in and what else has been done to the car. 65k miles is definitely good mileage but its hard to think that because of the upgraded turbo that the car hasnt been beat on. But an upgraded turbo is worth it because you dont have to worry about the vf40 blowing into your motor and you have obviously more power.

I would bring the car to a reputable subaru mechanic and test EVERYTHING. Go halfs on the cost of it (prob $100). I am paying dearly for my recent car purchase. In the 3 months ive owned it I had to replace the tires, rear brakes, turbo, and center diff...

Definitely make sure it checks out before you end up buying it.

Is it dealership or private sale. Got a link to it?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=28117&endYear=2007&modelCode1=LEGACY&startYear=2005&makeCode1=SUB&firstRecord=76&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=16000&minPrice=12000&listingId=329424277&Log=0

From here it looks to be a good buy. Looks like it was maintained very well. Only problem is pricing. No way I would pay 15k for a 7-8 model year old car. For a little over 10 more grand I could get a brand new BRZ. Max I would pay for that is maybe 13k give or take a couple hundred.

KBB is less than 15k

http://www.kbb.com/subaru/legacy/2005-subaru-legacy/25-gt-limited-sedan-4d/?vehicleid=1590&intent=buy-used&mileage=63000&options=61384%7ctrue&condition=very-good&pricetype=private-party

And with the mods it should decrease the value as well. If it was stock than that would be still a crazy price to pay for a car that old, regardless of the miles. But somehow I dont think the guy will be budging on his price too much.

Also, from my point of view the LGT has many qualities over the WRX. But it all depends on the demographic your trying to fit in with. For example, if your young and you want your car to stand out then definitely go with a wrx. But if you like something different and the sleeper look go with the lgt. Also, stock for stock the lgt is better power wise. Also the potential is a lot greater as well.

A lot of different variables in which you could look at cars. I had looked for 6 months for wrx's and then I took one look at the legacy gt (06 spec b) and I fell in love. Total sleeper and doesnt draw the cops attention as much as the wrx and sti. More power than wrx and more unique. Figure out what you want. Research Research and Research some more. Dont settle on anything. This is a big investment and you dont want any second guesses a week after. Even if its the color, trim, watever.... Get what you want and dont stop looking until you find it.

There will be a great deal one day but DONT let it get to you. Unless it has everything you want, dont get it. It may be tough, you may day dream like crazy about it. But there will always be cars for sale, and yes even the one you were fantasizing about.

Also, find a mechanic you trust that REALLY knows subarus and has experience with aftermarket parts because its going to be hard finding a wrx and even a lgt these days without mods done to it. It'll cost like $100 for the look over, but in the end its worth it. Try and get the seller to pay half that way he can use the receipt for future potential buyers. Anyways, good luck and I hope you find what your looking for!

I would definitely see if you can get it checked out by a good subaru mechanic. See who the tune was done by if you can. If it was done by "Thorne", first name Bill then it has a good tune on it (I just had him fix my tune that was completely effed up by Slowmotion Motorsports (in Columbus)). I will contact him (Thorne) to see if he has any info.

I found the dyno run on youtube...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWddiv8LZY]VF52 Legacy GT Tuning - YouTube[/ame]

As far as Mod list decreasing the value, this is very misunderstood. To a dealer a large mod list, aftermarket tuning, turbo ect this decreases value to a dealer who would have to imply reliability and some type of a warranty in most states. But on that note let me pose the question.

When you buy a race car with a $10,000 motor, stripped out with a roll cage do you use KBB?

No.

If the work was done well, by a verifiable and reputable shop the car is worth the value that a buyer would pay for it. If you wanted to buy a car from ESX tuning you would pay $45,000 as opposed to its blue book value of $31,000 new. But for example let me show you what I would ask for my car.

2005 Legacy GT 71,000 miles, VF 52 turbo, DW265lph fuel pump, Perrin top mount intercooler, Perrin BOV, Perrin dual cat back, Perrin uppipe, Perrin catch can, Perrin inlet pipe, Perrin ram air

If you can get a hold of receipts of where and when he bought the products, and also who put them in....

But I am saying that mods will decrease the value if a reputable shop didnt put them in. Who knows what he broke while trying to install the turbo or whatever. Things can appear to run well, but you dont really know whats been done to the car until you go and take things apart and find missing bolts, broken clips, zip ties everywhere...

I say by a stock lgt if you can just for peace of mind. That way you can go in whatever direction you want in terms of your power/handling/appearance mods.

As far as Mod list decreasing the value, this is very misunderstood. To a dealer a large mod list, aftermarket tuning, turbo ect this decreases value to a dealer who would have to imply reliability and some type of a warranty in most states. But on that note let me pose the question.

When you buy a race car with a $10,000 motor, stripped out with a roll cage do you use KBB?

No.

If the work was done well, by a verifiable and reputable shop the car is worth the value that a buyer would pay for it. If you wanted to buy a car from ESX tuning you would pay $45,000 as opposed to its blue book value of $31,000 new. But for example let me show you what I would ask for my car.

2005 Legacy GT 71,000 miles, VF 52 turbo, DW265lph fuel pump, Perrin top mount intercooler, Perrin BOV, Perrin dual cat back, Perrin uppipe, Perrin catch can, Perrin inlet pipe, Perrin ram air, act clutch, act flywheel, lightweight Rims, 225 45 17 tire upgrade and ion lowering springs. Car on mustang dyno pulled 320 HP and 308 lbft at 5200 rpm. 4000 miles on newly rebuilt engine and heads (all from a 2011 wrx).

I paid $11,000 For the car, as it sits now I would ask $20,000.

Now before every one freaks out, know that blue book is about $15k. Add in the cost of parts, figure the demand of the end result. Are there a lot of people looking for fast, reliable subaru's ? Is the car at 100 % visually? What other makes,

models would it compare to? And the buyer of a legacy GT limited looking to do this swap what would the total investment for them to have if they paid full blue book value and then modified from there?

All of that taken into consideration the potential buyer can get in and drive my car and see the results 1st hand, as well as test the motor and check out the quality ahead of time. So is a bolt on car worth $15k if blue book says $9k? Well if the soon to be owner would have spent time with out the car, install, tuning, repair and he/she believes it is, then yes. The only way it would not be is if you were marketing the car to dealers or people in search of well maintained, stock legacy GT's. So is $15k worth it? Check it out, drive it and then add up what others on the market would cost you to buy then modify. Good luck

FWIW, yea the vf52 is a great turbo. I'm still like'in mine 13 month's later.

I also agree 15k is high. Tell them the car is mod'ed, what were the oem parts that bad, everyone knows, nobody wants a car with all those mod's on it. It must have been driven hard. I'm sure that what they did to the guy that traded it in...

And now they want top dollar for it...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://www.kbb.com/subaru/legacy/2005-subaru-legacy/25-gt-limited-sedan-4d/?vehicleid=1590&intent=buy-used&mileage=72000&condition=excellent&pricetype=retail

Shows that my 2005 legacy GT would be asked for $16,900 at a dealer if bone stock. Then in add cost to upgrade turbo, bolt ons, pay for tune.

If they are asking $15,000 you can probably talk them down to $13,000 or so. Assume they expect to negotiate, but still needed to make profit.

Then I wonder what my wagon is worth.

Come on would you really pay that much for a car that is 8 years old and was $28,000 new ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Jshute is nuts. simple as that :lol:

Mods decrease value simple and plain.

But OP check this out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ny-2006-legacy-gt-spec-b-19k-miles-40bb-194295.html

(It would definitely be worth the cost of shipping if needed)

18k for a mint condition, 1/500, tastefully modded, EXTREMELY LOW miles vehicle. If I didnt have one already I would love to jump on that!

Just curious what Jshute would charge for that spec b :p maybe 35k ?

No. You misunderstood my previous statement. Does a Roush Mustang cost less then a mustang at a ford dealer? Shelby? Prudhomme ?

ESX Motorsports in California customized Subaru's and they charge more for theirs, as does prodrive. I guess all of them are crazy too.

The point is yes modifying a car can destroy the value. A Cobb stage 2, with the AP tune with no background at a tuning shop could be worth less than stock. But if Perrin built the car and tuned it, they can obviously charge more. So like I said, i bought my car for $11,000 it was riddled with electric issues, had bad brakes and a broken windshield. But Innovative Tuning in buffalo installed and tuned it, a VF52, and DW fuel pump. It is verifiable. So I now have about $!3,000 into it. If everything were done to it already with the upgrade I wouldn't have offered the guy $9000. If he asked for $15k or $16k I could have bought it with Innovative already having done the work, I would have probably paid around that.

If you can not verify who has done the tune or work don't buy the car.

Even then 15k is too much for me. Get the 06 spec b i posted. Only 3k more than the 05. It has 50k less miles and is tastefully modded as well :)

Man i just wish i could have bought that spec b. Thing is just rediculous low miles!

I agree with jshute only because of past experience. I've had quite a bit of experience with Toyota Supra's in the past and its the same thing. KBB is WAY out of the picture because those cars are going for 50k+ when they are modified. If you have an LGT that KBB says is worth 10k and you have 10k of work done to it wouldn't you think it would be worth 13-15k? You wouldn't sell all that $$ and hard work for free??

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm using this thought process now selling my Honda S2K. I have some modifications done to it so I will aim to get at least a little more then what people are asking for the same car because they can just turn the key go to pleasure town. I'm not asking for all parts a labor back, but I am asking for a small percentage back.

jshute and travis, you can ask whatever you want for your cars. At the end of the day you will have a very, very limited amount of buyers willing to purchase and pay for the modifications you have done to the cars. A modified legacy is world's away from a Roush Mustang. Good luck with your sales/purchases.

I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world, but there are a lot of people who like fast cars. Those who would want to buy a Legacy GT to modify it by themselves anyway are more likely to look at a finished product. It would be the same as if some one wanted to buy a kitchen for their home. Let's look at one put together buy amateurs, them compare what the experts charge. Would one add value and would one decrease. Yes.

You are comparing a kitchen to a car's engine/electronics?

There are a lot of people that modify cars. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. However, would you trust that some 18 year old kid modified the car correctly? Do you want to buy someone else's headache? That's what you get when you purchase a used car. People pay a premium to buy a car that hasn't been abused and has all maintenance records, etc.

Is the seller of a modified car willing to provide a warranty to guarantee any failure? If yes, then go for it, pay the premium asking price. If no, then I would suggest looking for a stock car.

Archived