LegacyGT.com

AWD Noob

Hi. New to the AWD thing. Not sure how the whole multiple differential thing works. Can someone point me to a good thread? Not much luck on the search.

I suppose what I'd really like to know is if changing the ratio of the rear diff is possible without doing the front as well. After years of driving old bimmers, I am severely missing limited slip!

Sure, there's plenty of bad weather around here.

An LSD on RWD was surprisingly amazing in crummy weather. I'd be passing newer, more sophisticated cars and trucks stuck in 2' of snow on the highway in my 25 year old BMW. I digress.

But I was curious about upping the ratio. While I'm at it, why not look for a unit with limited slip. I had two cars that were nearly identical. One had a 2.91 LSD, one had a 3.5 LSD. The difference in acceleration and positive feeling while shifting hugely apparent. Since the spacing between gears in the 2.5i is kind of awkward and boosting or tuning is out of the question, figured I can improve the feel thru the gears. A car doesn't have to be insanely powerful to be a good time.

again, a ratio change requires finding ring and pinions for both front and rear diffs and then you will need to open the trans for a rebuild just to get at the front diff. not worth the effort.

you can however, find a rear VLSD from a GT that has your same ratio and bolt that in. Assuming you have a 5MT, your ratio is 4.11. Same as a 05-06 LGT 5MT. Used rears can be had for a couple hundred bucks so that is a very affordable option to get a rear LSD.

Out of bored curiosity, is there a lack of traction you're experiencing in bad weather? What kind of tires are on your car? Is your legacy AT or MT?

I understand my '09 might be a little different from an '05, but I've never ever had any complaints about my car in rain or snow. I don't know if it's VDC that makes the difference or maybe 50/50 power split with my 5mt.

M/T. Truthfully, I have no traction complaints. I have crappy H rated tires that have some major cupping on one side. The only way I can get a single tire to break free is if I drop the clutch when it's pouring on new asphalt making a 90* turn. I haven't owned the car in winter yet. I just want to know the power is going to the proper places and hopefully nullify a bit of understeer. A viscous LSD doesn't sound all that reliable; especially a used one. Seems like the transmission in these cars are a dead end. Probably better to focus my energy elsewhere.

M/T. Truthfully, I have no traction complaints. I have crappy H rated tires that have some major cupping on one side. The only way I can get a single tire to break free is if I drop the clutch when it's pouring on new asphalt making a 90* turn. I haven't owned the car in winter yet. I just want to know the power is going to the proper places and hopefully nullify a bit of understeer. A viscous LSD doesn't sound all that reliable; especially a used one. Seems like the transmission in these cars are a dead end. Probably better to focus my energy elsewhere.

From my experience with my former 2005 2.5i, they do great in all weather with a proper set of tires. I have never had a problem with traction. Now having gone to my 2005 2.5GT, I don't notice much of a difference unless I am really pushing it. You should be good with the way it is now. GL

M/T. Truthfully, I have no traction complaints. I have crappy H rated tires that have some major cupping on one side.

Having good tires is going to be a lot more effective than having 50 LSD's on your car. If your tire can't grip the road, there's no point in having an LSD, they do not magically generate grip, they just move power from a slipping tire to one that is gripping, so if 4 tires don't grip, you're not going anywhere.

As with lsd of posi you may lose traction on inside wheel going around corners due to the circumference difference which will hurt performance. is better for straight line because all power is applied evenly.

there is a reason the manufacturers made and make them how they do. same goes for understeer. personally i hate it growing up with rwd cars but it is safer for the majority of people.

As with lsd of posi you may lose traction on inside wheel going around corners due to the circumference difference which will hurt performance. is better for straight line because all power is applied evenly.

there is a reason the manufacturers made and make them how they do. same goes for understeer. personally i hate it growing up with rwd cars but it is safer for the majority of people.

I agree. I'm sure if I were a teenager in one of those cars, I'd be dead right now. But being able to handle it is another thing. I had grown fond of the ability to break 'em loose around a corner. The best part was: if you feel the slip, just ease off the gas for a second, grip returns and mash it to power thru! I'm not trying to say I don't love my Legacy, but if you have a chance to pick up and E30 or E28 BMW on the cheap, even if it's a total heap, you wont regret it. Those cars will forever be my baseline for comparison.

Edit: I do love my Legacy. It's a fantastic car!

if you have a chance to pick up and E30 or E28 BMW on the cheap, even if it's a total heap, you wont regret it. Those cars will forever be my baseline for comparison.

While I agree with you in theory the thought of maintaining a 20 year old BMW scares the piss out of me.

It does get a little expensive after a while.

It all depends on where you live. When I was in Columbus, there was a bounty of useful bits in salvage yards. Up here in Cleveland, not so much. If you have to hit up e-bay, those jerks will charge the s#it out of you for minor bits n' pieces. Hell, even so, pick one up for around $1k, put another $1k and some elbow grease into it, you got yourself a reliable relic that's fun to drive, work on and somewhat easy on the fuel consumption...

But that is neither here, nor there. Got the Subi now. I'll wait for the mid-life crisis to get another old bimmer.

Archived