Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (https://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flashing CEL, comes and goes (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196729)

ehsnils 11-29-2012 11:20 AM

If you foul your plugs it's either caused by oil or by incorrect mixture.

A compression test should reveal if you have serious problems. But if the compression test is good I would check the injectors - old injectors can cause bad behavior.

So before throwing a tune at the car you should check that it's in a decent condition. Otherwise you just waste money.

Sweet Mercy 11-29-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehsnils (Post 4178966)
If you foul your plugs it's either caused by oil or by incorrect mixture.

A compression test should reveal if you have serious problems. But if the compression test is good I would check the injectors - old injectors can cause bad behavior.

So before throwing a tune at the car you should check that it's in a decent condition. Otherwise you just waste money.

Had a compression/leak down test a few weeks ago. Everything checked out great. Then all the missing started which was cylinder 3. The guy just called and said he changed all the plugs and drove it about 15 miles and the car was running great. I have no idea if that is enough miles to know whether it's something else or not. I'll see how it behaves on my ride home this afternoon. Thanks for your input.
Can you describe what to look for on the injectors??

Max Capacity 11-29-2012 11:57 AM

The injector could be still be the issue. You will know in a few 1000 miles if the miss comes back in the same cylinder.

May be pour a few can's of injector cleaner in over the next few tank fulls.

If you good with a lap top you can buy the $30.00 cable, buy a emap from a Tuner and save some money.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisp...iance-121.html

Oh, I guess you don't know about supercharger for the Tundra's...? 550hp or something like that.

Sweet Mercy 11-30-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4179066)
The injector could be still be the issue. You will know in a few 1000 miles if the miss comes back in the same cylinder.

May be pour a few can's of injector cleaner in over the next few tank fulls.

If you good with a lap top you can buy the $30.00 cable, buy a emap from a Tuner and save some money.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisp...iance-121.html

Oh, I guess you don't know about supercharger for the Tundra's...? 550hp or something like that.

Preaching to the choir my friend. Just don't have the funds for the SC--yet ;). Toyota claims 381 to 505hp and 401 to 550 lb/ft.

As far as the car, I only have about 75 miles on the new plugs. So far so good but that may be a different story with more miles.

I will attest to this, I had complained for as long as I can remember to my local Subara dealer that the car idled rough. I think I even mentioned it on here in a separate thread.

Anyway, at normal operating temp and in neutral or park the car idled rough. What I was told was that it was normal for the boxer engine.

With a change of plugs, the car idles so smoothly, you can't even tell it's running except for the noise of the engine. Yesterday after picking up the car, running it a few miles and stopping at a red light, my wife says "ok, what else did they do to the car"? I said, plugs only. She said c'mon honey what else did they do? I said why do you ask, she said "what do you feel"? I'm like OMG the car is smooth as butter!!!!

If you have the radio on or the heater, you do NOT realize the car is idling. It is that smooth. I can only hope it continues to operate like this. If it changes, I will update, but for now, the car has never been more smooth.

xt2005bonbon 11-30-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Mercy (Post 4180118)
I will update, but for now, the car has never been more smooth.

Good to hear. Hopefully it stays this way.

Max Capacity 11-30-2012 12:25 PM

Sounds like it idling like "normal" now. See the dealer was right, idle is normal.

Most Americans have come to hate the phrase "Oh, that's normal for these cars".

Sweet Mercy 12-20-2012 07:32 AM

Pushing close to 1K miles since change to Bosch copper plugs. Car is still buttery smooth and no CEL's or issues to report.

On a separate note, I've been in contact with Boxer4Racing in NC. They are offering the following and just curious what you guys think:

Cobb AccessPORT for 2004-2007 Subaru 2.5L Turbo models 1 557.38 557.38T
Cobb Down Pipe for Legacy GT Turbo AT 1 595.00 595.00T
Invidia 02+ WRX/STi/LGT Uppipe. 1 149.99 149.99T
GrimmSpeed Header Gasket for Subaru 'Pair' 1 16.99 16.99T
GrimmSpeed Header to Up-pipe Gasket 1 10.99 10.99T
GrimmSpeed Turbo Inlet Gasket for Subaru 1 11.99 11.99T
GrimmSpeed Turbo Outlet Gasket1 16.99 16.99T
Labor Rate Install parts listed above 4.5 80.00 360.00
Total: $1,811.08 with Tax.

Since I have NO idea of what a good up-pipe or down-pipe would be, do you folks think these would be good parts to use??
They are telling me I could gain 30-40% in hp and tq with the stage 2.

ttnio 12-21-2012 12:00 AM

Get that favorite cc and swipe away. Its Christmas to one's self .No need to wait any longer. Soon it will be a new year...

JmP6889928 12-21-2012 09:20 AM

My experience with the same thing was failing coil packs on not one, but two cylinders. The problem is that they would work fine under minimal load conditions, but once on the gas hard, the CEL would flash without crippling the cruise control, and not set a hard code. I would experiment with coil packs.

Purchase one, and start by putting int on cylinder one and drive the car into the conditions that normally set off the flashing CEL and if it still does it, change it back to the original and install the new one on cylinder two, and keep going until you find the one that seems to be the problem. You can go to the Subaru service manual and find the values of the coil packs and sit down with DVOM and begin to check, but unfortunately, this rarely shows a load based breakdown.