LegacyGT.com

Finding Legacy GT calipers?

FAST4DR

Where the heck can you find rebuilt or new Legacy GT calipers. I've searched a bunch of places and no one has them. Also, my local auto parts stores do not even have the rotors? Is there some secret to all this? Our Outback XT needs new rotors and I want to upgrade to the GT calipers and rotors.

I checked at the dealer and yes I can buy new calipers there for $300 a piece and online for about $240 each. Too much.

Can I just buy the GT caliper bracket and keep the XT caliper? Or is the GT caliper different?

for not much more you can get brembos... just a thought.

wilwoods, perhaps?

I can't justify paying $1200 or whatever for a pair of calipers.

I guess I'm spoiled. I put Mustang Cobra rotors and calipers on my Taurus SHO. 13" rotors with twin piston aluminum calipers. Guess how much they cost? You can buy the caliper and bracket for around $120 each and the rotors are a whopping $43 each. So that's $350 for a setup that I can hammer on all day long. I guess there are more Fords than Subarus.

If I can't find calipers, I'll have to put new stock sized rotors and Hawk HPS pads on and call it a day.

Rock auto has the front 11.5" rotors for $36 each and the solid rears for $33 each for the Outback XT That's pretty reasonable.

One thing I don't understand, though, is that the Outback has a twin piston caliper with a halfway decent sized 11.5" rotor. Why such the crappy braking?

I just replaced my rotors. went with reybestos rotors from Rockauto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

they didn't have the calipers I needed right away so I ordered mine from http://carquest.com/. caliper was $170 with $70 back when you returned the core. And these were OEM calipers.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I am replacing my rear rotors and pads with Raybestos Advanced Techs this weekend, got them from Rockauto too :)

I bought rebuilt calipers from them a few years ago for my old Benz. Best thing I did to that old car. The calipers were so clean and nice that I was able to paint them before putting them on. I bought the A1-Cardone ones that Rockauto sells.

Jeremy at fredbeansparts.com can source those OEM parts as cheaply as they can be had. Send him an email asking for a package quote.

The LGT brakes are much better than the OBXT brakes - it's a worthwhile upgrade. Brakeswap.com can source 4-piston Willwood calipers for the LGT rotors.

If money is a big factor, I'd just get EBC red stuff pads for all 4 corners, and a brake flush. For the money, it's a pretty good performance jump.

IIRC wilwoods are pretty affordable.

and if you are willing to have used parts, brembos are affordable as well.

find someone selling their not-being-used LGT calipers

car for sale. PM me!

I will check at carquest. I could buy a BBK and not even think twice about it, but that's not the point. Several factors involved: car is not tracked, do not care about the looks and I get tingles when I can upgrade something for the same price, or not much more, as would be to replace what is there.

It seems odd for a car four years old, that it's so difficult to find rebuilt calipers.

I called rockauto and they only offer to rebuilt the LGT calipers. You have to send them your caliper to get rebuilt.

Thanks for all the info.

That's calipers, rotors, hardware, SS lines, fluid, AND pads. ;)

If I had a LGT and was doing fun days at the track and autocrossing, then by all means Magnetic, I would buy yours or a BBK setup. But I'm not. Just a daily driver looking for an economically valued, the way the car should have come, alternative.

Just checked NAPA and they have the LGT calipers w/mounting bracket listed for $108 each plus the core. I will stop there on monday and see if they have them.

• 5 months later...
I'm interested in doing this upgrade on mine too. Fast4DR could you take some pics and post them? maybe a list of what we need to make this happen?

LGT

- rotors

- pads

- calipers

- brackets (are these for caliper mounting?)

I gave up and ordered new stock rotors and standard pads from rockauto.com. The braking is like new again, much better pedal feel, but still not as aggressive as I would like. The stock rotors were rusty and grooved. I had hawk HPS pads on the front, but now with new rotors and standard cheepy pads, the braking is fine. All four rotors and pads with shipping was $217.08 I couldn't pass that up. I painted all the rotors and calipers with high temp cast coat aluminum and they look like new. I would like bigger brakes, but we are probably going to sell the car in the next few months, although we shouldn't because it only has 40,000 miles.

Will

PS. Here is what I ordered if anybody is interested. I think that discount was for buying two sets of pads or something like that.

2005 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5L 2458cc H4 FI Turbo [EJ255]

CENTRIC _Brake%20Pad_1430735_1684"]10411140 (104.11140) Brake Pad $ 36.89 (1) $36.89

CENTRIC _Brake%20Pad_1430735_1684"]30009290 (300.09290) Brake Pad $ 19.26 (1) $19.26

RAYBESTOS _Rotor_1430735_1896"]980354 Rotor $34.99 (2) $69.98

RAYBESTOS _Rotor_1430735_1896"]980360 Rotor $35.99 (2) $71.98

Discount $ -9.91

Shipping Location 1Ground (FedEx or UPS)$ 6.68

Shipping Location 2Ground (FedEx or UPS)$ 22.20

Order Total $ 217.08

• 3 years later...
good price. I'm ready to do the same, except the original owner got 181k out the original calipers. I'm going to replace the flexible lines too as well as flush. LGT site says upgrading the calipers is a waste of cash unless you're going to the track, which i would love to do, but for that, I would take my Vette.

good price. I'm ready to do the same, except the original owner got 181k out the original calipers. I'm going to replace the flexible lines too as well as flush. LGT site says upgrading the calipers is a waste of cash unless you're going to the track, which i would love to do, but for that, I would take my Vette.

Thread necromancy, I wouldn't bet that the price posted over three years ago is still valid.

Also, OP had an OBXT, so buying new calipers would have been necessary to upgrade to LGT brakes. It looks like he didn't end up doing the lgt kit, so his price above is for smaller, Outback rotors and pads.

Archived