LegacyGT.com

Limp Mode? Problems on drive home from buying her :(

Hey guys,

Picked up my 05 LGT today. I had it looked over by a Subaru dealership before purchasing from a used lot, and they said no issues except the timing chain has not been replaced yet (110k miles on it).

On the 4 hour drive home everything was fine until about 60 miles away I gunned it at a light to see what she had. After that I got a CEL and flashing cruise light, followed by what I assume was the sound of the turbo free spooling but not making any power. I have a video where you can hear what I mean. Sorry if this is a common limp mode or something, I'm new to these cars and sort of pissed this happened on the way back home :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK171Nx-AjY&feature=youtu.be

I'll be limping it to a Subie dealer first thing tomorrow but wanted to see if I could get an idea of what is going on here first. Thanks!

I'm hoping it's just a line. When I test drove it, it pulled just fine. And up until I hit it at that light it was fine on the drive home. Even when the issue started, it hooked up a little bit and I could feel boost when the noise stopped, so maybe it was a line that just worked it's way loose?

I guess that should be my first thing to check in the morning, maybe it's a quick fix. This is my first FI car, is there a diagram on there for the lines I should look for?

Has this car had a turbo replacement recently? How does the turbo look? Still shiny? I see a lot of cars on this forum that get traded in with a blown turbo, the dealers just slap a new turbo on without inspecting the oil and hope for the best. Hopefully that isn't the case.

The good ish news is that you're covered for a month even at a used car dealer in most states, time to get on the phone.

FYI when my t connection hose came off all I got was lower boost, no noise to speak of just a drop in power - I could still feel the turbo spool.

Good luck figuring it out.

Oh, the t connector is under the intercooler. If I remember right you can see it without removing the IC.

If the car was still making HP in boost, more then likely it's a hose blew off.

We tell everyone to zip tie all the vacuum lines.

Before you start the car, you need to figure out if it's a hose that blew off, or the turbo that let go.

If it's the turbo, DO NOT start the engine.

The first hose to check is by the inlet side of the tmic (top mount intercooler) look down between the front of the tmic and the turbo. make sure the hoses are on. There are other hoses that may have come loose but that's the 1st place to check.

Yes there is a picture somewhere here that shows the hoses.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Unfortunately, the contract specifically stated the car was sold as-is, and the dealer was not liable for any repairs after the sale. That's why I paid $120 to have a Subie dealer look it over first :/ I can call but I doubt they'll want to help if they aren't legally obligated.

After talking with the local Subrau dealership this morning, they didn't really know what to say either without checking it out next Tuesday. I'll update this then in case anyone else ever has the same issue.

EDIT: Didn't see your post Max, I will definitely check the hoses today and will not drive it over if I can determine it's the turbo.

TB hose blew off is my 1st guess

remove the engine cover and check it out

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

So where are you located ?

Oh the GT's start around page 1600 in the link I sent you for the 2005 service manual.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

As Matt asked above, do you know any history on the car ?

It's common for used cars places to replace the turbo and not make sure the engine is free of metal chips. The oil cooler will hold metal chips and release them over time.

There is also a proceedure for reading the codes in a 05. It's on here...

I keep a copy in the glove box of the car.

When I used to blow the hose off the car would pull real hard in boost and then cut out when the knock sensor felt knock because lack of fuel.

If you need to replace the turbo, make sure you install a catless up pipe too.

If the hoses are all on, you may want to do a boost leak test, I used a pint size paint can to plug the hose off the air filter box, pull the small hose off the blow off valve and give it a short blast of air, I have a compressor, put your figure over the hose and listen for air leaks.

If on leaks, pull the down pipe and check the turbo for shaft play.

You don't want to start the engine until you know the turbo is in good shape, any shaft play is bad. The comperssor wheel with hit the housing and send metal chips into the intake.

If the play is bad enough, metal will get past the oil seals and into the oil pan and cooler.

What did the turbo sound like on the drive home ? It should have been fairly quiet. any whinning or whistle is a bad sign.

I don't know the history other than it has a clean carfax. The Subie dealer that checked it out did not say anything about the turbo looking like it was new, or any other modifications they could see. The previous owner did a few aesthetic mods but seems that was it.

The turbo was quiet on the test drive and on the way home until the problem started. I was actually freaked out when I started to hear it make noise, after not hearing it the whole day until then.

I have an OBD-II scan tool as well, but was too tired to read the codes last night. I don't know how involved I want to get in tearing things down, I may just hold off until Tuesday since I live at an Apt and don't have a garage to do work in.

I did also read about the shaft play in the turbo last night. I don't hear any grinding (as you can tell in the video), but if I do on the way over to the dealer, I will immediately pull over and get a tow. Thanks again for the help, I have a few buddies with turbo Volvos in the area who may be able to use that to help me out as well!

I have a thread on here ,"142,000miles on oem turbo" it shows the shaft play mine had.

I can't see your video here at work.

Well I had time to pull the codes today, and I am throwing P0011 'A' Camshaft Pos. Timing Over-Adv (B1)

Found this thread that may be it? Something about turbo not getting oil... I don't know why the code says timing but whatever lol. Hopefully Since I only had to drive it with this code for about 40 miles, I can catch it before the turbo is done for... will be taking it to an import shop in the morning and giving them this info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p0011-p0021-missfire-ocv-oil-flow-control-valve-141880.html?t=141880&highlight=P0011

You may get lucky and just remove the banjo filter.

That code by itself may be the oil control valve. I think thats the one above #1 cylinder the passenger side front.

If you need the cars code reader here.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/CELcodereaderina05_zpseda523cf.png

Well, just an update... the turbo is blown. Less than 2 hours after purchasing the vehicle. :(

Between that an the other maintenance the orignal owner neglected, I'm looking at 2 grand for an import shop to get her a new turbo and back to new condition. All in all, not too bad since I got such a good deal on the car, but still a kick in the balls.

Off to search for a VF46 to replace the VF40, right?

Archived