LegacyGT.com

Eco tune.

boostedgrocerygetter

Yea yea I know.

Has anyone ran the Cobb Eco tune with a stg 2 setup. I drive 47 miles each way to work. And I'm not looking to race anyone to or from work. I just want to see a little bit better gas mileage.

And yea yea buy a beater I know I have one I'm in the process of getting it back on the road.

Not impossible.

No, it actually is. If you understand how the wastegate system works, you'd understand this to be true. The only way the WG door can open to slow the spooling of the door is when there IS boost. And because the WG actuator is spring loaded, it won't open until you get to about 7 lbs of boost.

You could disconnect the WG door from the actuator, thereby letting it just flap around, but even then, the turbo will still experience some spooling.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, you can stop the turbo from spooling... keep throttle angle low and there is not enough exhaust gas being generated to spool the turbo past against its inertial mass other than using the turbine for scavenging :)
Heh, I guess that's true enough. You could mess with the throttle map but then your car would drive even worse than if you just dialed in 0% WGDC all around. You'd essentially be limiting yourself to < 25% throttle opening angle because boost can easily build at 25% throttle in 5th even under 3K RPM. That's not exactly a driveable car. ;)

Archived