LegacyGT.com

First Look: Spearco's new TMIC for the '08+ WRX/LGT...

atchipmunk

Ok, been in on this group buy for the newly developed TMIC from Spearco for a while now. They finally got made and shipped and I received mine the other day. Here's some preliminary pics right after I pulled it out of the box(sorry for the iPhone pics)...

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/atchipmunk/05%20LGT%20Wagon/23f694b9.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/atchipmunk/05%20LGT%20Wagon/008451c5.jpg

The kit is designed specifically for the '08+ WRX but should fit the 4th Gen LGT as well. Of course, the splitter/duct will be different, but i'm probably gonna fabricate one of my own. Originally, I was going to lend my car to Turbonetics/Spearco for them to design a splitter, but scheduling conflicts with work and my family life have prevented that.

Anyway, hopefully i'll have some time to install it this coming weekend. Will definitely post more pics once I do. Because of the size of this beast, and it's location in relation to the turbo, i'm definitely gonna have to take some measures to help reduce the problem of heat soak. Have a GS heatshield on order from IP&T that i'll probably line the underside of with reflect-a-gold, and will probably be picking up a turbo blanket as well. Might look into fabricating some heat shielding/ducting to go below the passenger side of the intercooler in between it and the turbo. Anyway, will post more pics (and maybe a DIY) once I get it installed...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the original group buy that started the ball rolling on this project was $825 shipped. In the end it was like 47ish people total that bought in to the first run. I imagine that the retail will probably be much higher...probably close to the price of the Process West TMIC. Anyway, hopefully my kids will take LONG naps tomorrow and I'll be able to get the install done tomorrow. Will post more pics if that happens...

Ok, got to do the install of the Spearco into my LGT Wagon last night and into this morning. Here's a pic:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/atchipmunk/05%20LGT%20Wagon/a915d4f3.jpg

Since the kit is made for the '08+ WRX the splitter/duct obviously won't work on the LGT so i'll be fabricating one specifically for my LGT. Also have a GS Heat Shield en route from IP&T which i'll be lining the underside of with some reflect-a-gold to help with heat soak. Gonna eventually get a turbo blanket as well and will be wrapping whatever downpipe I end up getting to help with the heat situation.

I also installed the K&N Typhoon intake I bought on here a while ago for the sake of the pics, but won't be driving it like that till after I get a custom Stage2 tune.

Now, I just need to get myself a DP and do some custom work to it so I can go custom Stage2+ EWG (rerouted)...

not liking the way half of it sits over the turbo. Anyone see any numbers from gains with one of these fitted? definitely dont go gunning it after sitting in traffic for a few minutes!

Yeah, heat soak will be an issue.

The thing's only been out for about a week, but one of the WRX guys had his custom Stage 2 tuned by EFI and hit 311hp/333tq on EFI's mustang dyno...

Did someone say IC sprayer?

Yeah, considering it...

I'm considering this with heatshield, turbo blanket, heat wrapping and IC sprayer over fmic. It's just more simple than fmic with less leaking/rubbing issues. I never drag, only do road race events and don't get on it in traffic as it would also be dd, so not that worried about heat soak.

My only remaining concern is if the lgt hood scoop could actually flow enough to make use of this larger core.

:rolleyes:

where did you move the engine harness bulk to?

It looks wayyyyy too big

Well, the Turbonetics instructions say to remove the engine harness connector from the mounting bracket and zip tie it to the A/C lines below it. Didn't care for that idea, so I removed flipped the bracket, bolted it back into place and reattached the harness connector. It sits low enough to clear the IC now and is much cleaner looking than a zip-tied harness....

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk56/atchipmunk/05%20LGT%20Wagon/72d1eeac.jpg

Nice looking piece...I'd undercoat it and put a turbo blanket on. It's HUGE...how many ci ?

Thinking about hitting the underside of at least the passenger side end tank with some reflect-a-gold as well to ward off radiant heat from the turbo. Can't remember the specs of the core off the top of my head...

It's interesting that you're one of the few with no leaks or strange noises, and the IC wasn't designed for your car. ;)

Please post photos of your DIY splitter when you're done. I suppose you're getting re-tuned with the intake as well?

<-- watching the street, asking where the damn courier van got to.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My only remaining concern is if the lgt hood scoop could actually flow enough to make use of this larger core.

Yeah, the size of the stock LGT hood scoop does look miniscule in comparison to this TMIC. I do have some future plans for ways to get more air in there without some crazy looking add-on scoop like the Stanza BigBulge or whatever it's called. Have a few ideas rolling around in my head, but not quite sure what i'm gonna go with yet...

It's interesting that you're one of the few with no leaks or strange noises, and the IC wasn't designed for your car. ;)

Please post photos of your DIY splitter when you're done. I suppose you're getting re-tuned with the intake as well?

No leaks and haven't heard any abnormal noises, but I also haven't gotten to really put the thing through it's paces since I installed it. Have only driven on my work commute which is only like a 3mile drive or so. Been too busy with family obligations. The whistling many have experienced seems to come on at a specific load level (3rd gear above 4K RPM) and I don't think i've really bee able to hit that. Will definitely post pics of whatever I come up with for the splitter...

http://i.imgur.com/DzvCx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B9KrC.jpg

It's a really big core, which makes install a bit fiddly. Nice tip on flipping the bracket for the engine harness connector, makes everything very secure and tidy. Testing / retuning commences once I finish this tank of stale cat piss I was sold as gas. :(

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

It's a really big core, which makes install a bit fiddly. Nice tip on flipping the bracket for the engine harness connector, makes everything very secure and tidy. Testing / retuning commences once I finish this tank of stale cat piss I was sold as gas. :(

Looks great fahr_side. You have any install issues with the bracketry? The front bracket takes a little loosening of the engine bracket bolts to get it to fit perfectly. You have the whistle, etc?

Suckers huge. Any rubbing with the bpv sitting so high?

Not sure how clearance is on the WRX, but on my LGT Wagon there's almost an inch of clearance between the top of the stock BPV and the hood.

The splitter squished the BPV initially but a little massage and 10 minutes with a file sorted that. Lots of room for the valve itself.

Note that I'm in a WRX eh...

Looks great fahr_side. You have any install issues with the bracketry? The front bracket takes a little loosening of the engine bracket bolts to get it to fit perfectly. You have the whistle, etc?

It's a bitch getting that M10 bolt for the clutch cylinder through the bracket while juggling the spacer in there, even with everything loose. It doesn't help when your hands are like 5lb hammers. ;) Compared to that, everything else is easy.

I have no whistles or obvious leaks so far, but I've only been to 10psi and 4k0rpm as I'm not pushing harder on bad gas. Fuel trims haven't changed at all. 1/4 tank of piss left and then it's game on.

rant

I really hate these dimwits that twitter on about VIP cards, points, car wash coupons and 10 other bullshit things and ignore me asking 5 times for HIGH TEST. Result: half tank of cat piss pumped before I stick my foot up this person's ass and they actually shut up long enough to hear what I wanted.

/rant

i had a stupid technician tell me at the dealership today that there is no point switching intercoolers (after i told him about my fmic install) he then claims that theres no point cause the stock can handle "like 500 horse"...this is coming from a person who runs no mufflers and a Vent to atmosphere HKS on a 2009 wrx. pay no attention to someone who says other wise, aftermarket TMICS will hold up and hold moore boost. if you prep right u can minimize the heatsoak too. enjoy the spearco the thing looks awesome! id get it :)

i don't see how that thing isn't gonna get raped by the slave cylinder right underneath....if my perrin has got a lil rub that thing should have a hole in it by next month...and no way u can run a strut tower bar with that...and i really don't see how ur gonna avoid heat soak even with everything wrapped and sprayed.

maybe i'm still noobish..but i am now convinced that (unless u live in cold climates all year round) front mount is the best replacement for stock intercooler upgrade...

my perrin is always wayyy hotter than my buddys turbo xs front mount....wish i knew this before ..

Archived