LegacyGT.com

Most mileage on Koni's?

Just curious as to their real world longevity. Anybody ever have some rebuilt (either for this platform or others)? I want to grab a set but would like some non-performance input such as rebuild costs, etc. I put 30k+ miles on a car a year easily and this is going to have to last me a while.

Any input appreciated.

The 4th Gen guys would be the ones to ask, they've been putting Koni Yellows in their cars for 12 years now. I doubt any of us 5th Genners with Konis have more than 50k miles on them. I was one of the first and I only have about 34k miles on mine and they still feel like brand new.

That being said, I have heard that they are fantastic in the longevity department, especially with spring rates between 200 and 300 pounds which is the range from stock to aftermarket lowering springs for our cars. If they start to wear, you just dial in some more firmness. Ground Control Suspension has told me that with 300 pound springs in a street application they should easily go more than 150k miles. Anything heavier, getting up to 400 and 500 pound springs used in racing applications, I imagine that they would not last that long mostly because you start with them set very firm and probably run out of ability to add firmness.

Put an email in to these guys to ask about rebuild cost. http://www.koniracing.com/services.cfm They are not the only ones that rebuild Konis, I believe Feal Suspension does as well. I highly doubt it would cost more than a new set, unless you're asking them to do something special with custom valving.

It's interesting that the adjustable feature for the Konis was originally intended (at least in part) to compensate for wear and tear. Until they start leaking oil, that is. 100K+ miles seems a reasonable expectation, knowing they have lasted that long on other cars. High spring rates would wear them out faster.

It's interesting that the adjustable feature for the Konis was originally intended (at least in part) to compensate for wear and tear.

I think you're making a leap in assuming this. They are an adjustable shock for the purpose of being able to tune them for different spring rates and driving dynamics. The unintended benefit of that, a side effect if you will, is that when running lighter springs at softer settings, firming them up can postpone the effects of wear and aging in the shock seals and valving, allowing for extra longevity.

I think you're making a leap in assuming this. They are an adjustable shock for the purpose of being able to tune them for different spring rates and driving dynamics. The unintended benefit of that, a side effect if you will, is that when running lighter springs at softer settings, firming them up can postpone the effects of wear and aging in the shock seals and valving, allowing for extra longevity.
Koni made this claim about adjusting for wear for years, it was actually a selling point, as in KONIs last longer because you can adjust them. Maybe it is not heard so much nowadays. Here is a section from their FAQ:

What is the best adjustment setting for my shocks?

There is no single best adjustment setting for your KONIs because every driver has different preferences for comfort, performance, performance modifications and roads to drive on. For most vehicles, we suggest that new KONIs be installed in the full soft position. (the standard setting right out of the box) to take advantage of the balance of ride comfort and handling designed by the KONI ride development engineers. If the car has performance upgrades (springs, wheel/tire packages, etc.) or the driver wants the car a bit more aggressive, most people find the optimum setting in the 1/2 to one full turn from the full soft range. Over the extended life of the damper or if the driver wants a specific firm handling characteristic, the dampers can be adjusted up higher. Very rarely will KONI ever need to be adjusted to the full firm setting.

I read that as KONI deliberately instructing customers that the shocks can be adjusted higher as the shocks wear.

I have my Koni Yellow's and Spic springs installed Jan 15 2013 at 166,580 miles. The wagon now has 246,700 miles and still handles and rides like it did Jan 16 2013.

I still like how the car corners fairly flat still with the stock swap bars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated

I daily drove mine for 4.5 years and about 95k miles on epic engineering springs. When I took them out, the rears were kinda rusty and all four were leaking. Sent them with a friend to SCCA Solo Nationals to get rebuilt by the koni truck on site. Koni told me that if I was the original purchaser (I was) and if I had my receipt for them (I do) that I could fill out their form online and they would send me four brand new shocks under warranty rather than rebuild the ones there. I did, and as a result Koni will be my go-to for shocks on all my vehicles moving forwards. How do you beat a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser?

OP - definitely get some konis, they will ride great and still be warranteeable for the lifetime that you own them. They leak, you fill out the form and get a new one.

• 1 year later...
I had them installed on my wagon Jan 15 2013, at 166.500 miles, the car currently has 269,800 miles and I still love them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Had a set of Konis with about 60k on them. They were taken off my old wagon when it was wrecked, sold, then bought back and put onto my current wagon and got another 10k. Rears are still kicking and feel fine, but nailed a pothole and obliterated one of the fronts a couple of weeks back so replaced the pair. Given how the rears still feel, I imagine the fronts would have kept on choochin were it not for that pothole.

Archived