Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (https://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Islandborn's Build to BNR's Billet 18G (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194202)

fahr_side 01-15-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyOldManMN (Post 4248148)
Well that's the rub. It seems it is NOT holding up to 20 psi (which is my current boost target). It certainly isn't going to help maintain target boost at higher rpm.

The VF-54 isn't going to hold 20psi to redline... it's pretty much begging for mercy at just 12psi at peak revs! ;)

TBH I haven't seen any sign of the stock BPV leaking on 20+ cars at 18.5psi stg2. Well, maybe one '12 that needed a lot more WGDC than usual, but he also had a funky custom exhaust I'm not sure flows so well.

islandborn 01-15-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 4248316)
Shane,

Did you get the Intake Duct today?

Yes!!! It arrived about 3pm to the tuner. Now the car just needs to sneak in on the line up for the dyno. He is having a bit of trouble around 5700 or 5800 rpms as the car dumps for about 40hp or so. He has called Cobb about it - they don't understand so they asked him to send the maps... But he's not too optimistic at turn around as its not a gtr. The 18g boost line (that I saw him working with) jacks up and stays very level - until that spot... It's fun for him as its a tuner puzzle...

Bigbopper, thank you again for helping!

fahr_side 01-15-2013 09:59 PM

Check and see if IAM is always solid at 1.00 and Requested Torque is what he expects at WOT. There are tables which call for RT limits if IAM drops to certain levels, and there is all sorts of pre-emptive logic which cuts timing via knock correction, for example in response to slight overboost, which in turn can cause IAM to drop.

Just an idea...

Sideways the Seven 01-15-2013 10:04 PM

Nice build! Used to drive an SER, huh? So did I. Were you on Nissanclub?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

SurlyOldManMN 01-15-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4248388)
The VF-54 isn't going to hold 20psi to redline... it's pretty much begging for mercy at just 12psi at peak revs! ;)

TBH I haven't seen any sign of the stock BPV leaking on 20+ cars at 18.5psi stg2. Well, maybe one '12 that needed a lot more WGDC than usual, but he also had a funky custom exhaust I'm not sure flows so well.

Oh, most definitely. I'm not expecting a miracle. I'm done playing with peak power for a good while. I'll be happy if I can flatten the curve just a little from 3.5k-5k for DD purposes. I fully recognize that "a little" is the most I can hope for. The E85 tune was tailored to that end as well. I left some low end on the table in favor of slightly less peaky delivery.

fahr_side 01-16-2013 12:45 AM

Totally understand, Even on gas, stg2 torque curve starts to look like turbodiesel. Looking forward to islandborn's results. :)

acumenhokie 01-16-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 4248299)
Does this guy you're talking to know anything about the 5th Gen LGT? What he told you is completely backwards. The one in the link on your post is the one you should get, for a direct drop in replacement ... no modifications at all. You will only need to set the proper spring back pressure, so the BOV will remain closed at idle, while the engine is pulling vacuum.

I have mine set-up as a BPV in the full recirc mode.

I think it's me that's backwards. I originally found the one on the link I posted but then decided it wasn't the right part b/c it's not EVO specific. Sounds like my original hunch was right. Thanks for setting me straight.

SurlyOldManMN 01-16-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4248612)
Totally understand, Even on gas, stg2 torque curve starts to look like turbodiesel. Looking forward to islandborn's results. :)

Indeed! That thing made it to the tuner yesterday...

MOAR RESULTS!!!1!

Blizzard 01-16-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blklgt05 (Post 4248005)
Currently at Synapse Engineering to see if EVO-X's BPV would work for us...

What happened?

blklgt05 01-17-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Post 4249912)
What happened?

I'll make a full update later. I need to bring the car back in to check on something. But it fits EVO-X's BPV works when installed in push mode, just need to use a shorter hose instead of the OEM one. First test run, car over boosted to 19.7psi on COBB's OTS LWG stg 2 map. So... clearly a tune is needed to bring that down. Boost is coming on very strong right now, shows you just how much the OE BPV was leaking out. They also recommended me to upgrade inj/fp before the tune. Synapse Engineering's BPV does not leak and it will hold 60 psi.

I'll post pictures and write a full thread later.

Oh btw, while they were checking out my car they also took off the TMIC to see how much room was in there. Next thing I knew they were trying to fit these huge ICs in there. I told them that some of our members had issue with the pre-IC charge pipe, cuz it's plastic and brittle. They agreed and said they are going to try and make a big TMIC+charge pipe from the ground up. They also showed me the core they were using, it was high quality stuff. They "said" they will be designing and CNC everything from the ground up. The engine cover probably won't fit the TMIC that they want to make for the Legacy, but I ain't complaining. He "told" me it will take about 2 months or so, so... keep your fingers crossed I guess. ;)

ebo03 01-17-2013 12:59 PM

So the consensus is the stock BPV can't even hold stage 2 boost levels? What psi are you tuned at blklgt05?

GTEASER 01-17-2013 01:15 PM

Question, and this may be a dumb one, as this is the first turbo I have owned and I am trying to wrap my brain around all this turbo and tuning stuff. Unrelated to whether the OEM valve will hold boost for Stage 2 or not, if I wanted to get one and install it now, before I got an AP, CBE etc, could I run it with the OEM ECU map and not worry about getting a tune yet?

CasopoliS 01-17-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4250779)
Question, and this may be a dumb one, as this is the first turbo I have owned and I am trying to wrap my brain around all this turbo and tuning stuff. Unrelated to whether the OEM valve will hold boost for Stage 2 or not, if I wanted to get one and install it now, before I got an AP, CBE etc, could I run it with the OEM ECU map and not worry about getting a tune yet?

In my opinion you would be fine.

islandborn 01-17-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Called my tuner for ya! He said stock - wouldn't matter. Where you might run into problems would be if your car was tuned and it leaked (but you didn't know) then switched it out, you might get overboost cause the new one is holding the pressure.....

blklgt05 01-17-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebo03 (Post 4250744)
So the consensus is the stock BPV can't even hold stage 2 boost levels? What psi are you tuned at blklgt05?

If you check out BigBopper's video few pages back, you'll see that it leaks even at stock boost levels. Not only that, even EVO-X's OEM BPV leaks according to Synapse Engineering.

Quote:

I'm running off-the-shelf map from COBB, (ACN91 STAGE II LWG map) and the car is over boosting whenever I give it too much gas. It's probably not wise to be boosting over 19.7psi without a tune. I probably won't get it tuned until I get all the parts, and since Synapse wants to design a large TMIC+charge pipe for us (which could take around 2 months), I'll just wait and get the car tuned afterwards. I might just put the stock BPV back on for now.

Again, my car is currently over boosting around 19.7psi on COBB's LWG stg2 map, therefore I highly do not recommend driving without re-tune unless you are willing to baby the car for a while until you can get it tuned.