LegacyGT.com

isc coilovers

blackinches

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah mine should be here today. Waiting for the UPS man so show up. I plan on getting them installed on Weds. Then I will be writing up a review. I'll put them on the softest settings first and do some around town driving and whatnot. Then will put them on the stiffest and go to an autox.

I've ridding in Franz's car and liked his setup and could tell the car handled better than my stock spring struts on the track, so it will be nice to compare the 2.

I'm running Perrin 22mm bars front and back on the stiffest settings with stock links and the AVO zero offset LCA bushings.

FYI the ISC's will be the street sport versions, 6/8.

Hurry UPS man hurry...

LCA bushings because they're known to tear, end links so the added stress doesn't blow the stockers, and maybe rear camber/caster links (can't think of the car guy term offhand) so you can dial in your alignment as desired.

I got the coilovers the other day and they are pretty nice looking. They seem to be pretty well built. Nice packaging and everything is already to go. The instruction manual was kinda lacking, but does give you the information that you need.

I just didn't get time to put them on yet, since I was waiting for a new up and gaskets to fix my exhaust leak. But, I should have them installed next Weds. So I will update then.

tobey457 please post up your pics and review.

Just got done installing mine (street comfort), having some binding / twisting springy metallic BOING noises coming mostly from the front. :lol: I know that sounds odd, but it's the only way I can describe it right now. From talking to Andrew at AJW he said the top hat nuts are on super tight from the factory, so I have to loosen those. Also wondering if my preload is maybe a bit on the loose side, which maybe adding to the noise factor. Hoping once those areas are addressed the noise will go away... if not these coilovers will need to find a new home.

Just by throwing numbers down and guessing while setting up my coilovers, somehow I got my coils set so that my ride height F/R is even at about 1 3/4" fender gap on the first shot. I was shocked that I got them even, and that close. Car looks 100% better, but I want about a 1" - 1 1/4" gap so I will have to adjust my ride height more tomorrow.

Didn't get to drive it too much, and the noises made me think it might be better to wait and push them once I get the noise fixed... but my initial thoughts are that the ride quality feels good, body roll is reduced, and the steering wheel just feels more alive and connected.

Once I get the noises fixed, the ride height adjusted, and some seat time I will post up my review and pics.

Yeah I know what your talking about with the noise. I notice it when I back out of my garage. But I don't have things set like I want and I figure the springs have to settle first. I think your right on the preload I didn't have my springs very compressed so I know they are a little loose.

Just got done installing mine (street comfort), having some binding / twisting springy metallic BOING noises coming mostly from the front. :lol: I know that sounds odd, but it's the only way I can describe it right now. From talking to Andrew at AJW he said the top hat nuts are on super tight from the factory, so I have to loosen those. Also wondering if my preload is maybe a bit on the loose side, which maybe adding to the noise factor. Hoping once those areas are addressed the noise will go away... if not these coilovers will need to find a new home.

Just by throwing numbers down and guessing while setting up my coilovers, somehow I got my coils set so that my ride height F/R is even at about 1 3/4" fender gap on the first shot. I was shocked that I got them even, and that close. Car looks 100% better, but I want about a 1" - 1 1/4" gap so I will have to adjust my ride height more tomorrow.

Didn't get to drive it too much, and the noises made me think it might be better to wait and push them once I get the noise fixed... but my initial thoughts are that the ride quality feels good, body roll is reduced, and the steering wheel just feels more alive and connected.

Once I get the noises fixed, the ride height adjusted, and some seat time I will post up my review and pics.

Got these coilover on order myself, very interested to know what's causing this and if you resolve it.

Yeah I know what your talking about with the noise. I notice it when I back out of my garage. But I don't have things set like I want and I figure the springs have to settle first. I think your right on the preload I didn't have my springs very compressed so I know they are a little loose.

additional noise is pretty normal for coilovers with metal pillow ball mounts. Sometimes, greasing the top of the springs can help reduce binding and reduce the noise. It's one reason why helper springs are used.

My front coilovers are making noise at every change of motion, from braking to turning, slow down, speed up... noises everywhere. It's definitely not now and again, the only time the front suspension is silent is when the car is going over 30mph and going straight. The rears are not making any noise at all.

In talking with Andrew at AJW it sounds like they had a batch where the top hats were on super tight, and I think I got the worst set of the bunch. In his experience, loosening that top bolt can take care of most of the noises, then tighten it back down to a somewhat normal tightness. I can not BUDGE that top bolt on either front coliover, I've damaged two allen wrenches trying to do so... any suggestions?

I understand that coilovers might be prone to more noises, but these are far beyond any acceptable level IMHO. I've owned several sets in the past and can't remember hearing a peep from any of them. I'm hoping mine are defective... that sounds weird!

I got the same damn problem and have been try to trouble shoot it for 2 days now:nono:. As a last resort I signed in and checked the forum and I'm so freakin relieved to see that I'm not the only one.

I got the same damn problem and have been try to trouble shoot it for 2 days now:nono:. As a last resort I signed in and checked the forum and I'm so freakin relieved to see that I'm not the only one.

Misery loves company! :lol:

Did you have any luck loosening and re-tightening the top nuts? Sounds like this might be the solution.

I need to go buy a 5mm alllen socket, hopefully Sears has them in 1/2" drive! :lol:

In talking with Andrew at AJW it sounds like they had a batch where the top hats were on super tight, and I think I got the worst set of the bunch. In his experience, loosening that top bolt can take care of most of the noises, then tighten it back down to a somewhat normal tightness. I can not BUDGE that top bolt on either front coliover, I've damaged two allen wrenches trying to do so... any suggestions?

I would be careful if the top nut is on uber tight and you don't have the correct tools to remove it. What if you damage the coilover in the process? Could the supplier then refuse your warranty claim?

Misery loves company! :lol:

Did you have any luck loosening and re-tightening the top nuts? Sounds like this might be the solution.

I need to go buy a 5mm alllen socket, hopefully Sears has them in 1/2" drive! :lol:

yeah no kidding but problem solved you just have to leave that bolt pretty loose for that noise to stop. Its def a 2 person job, one to break the bolt and the other to hold the allen socket

tobey did you try hitting them with PB or Liquid wrench. I really only notice mine making noise when I back out of the garage. Once I'm driving I rarely hear anything.

I didn't, only because I assumed they were a locknut with a nylon insert, and wasn't sure what the PB solvents would do to the plastic. Didn't look too close, maybe they're just a regular nut.

yeah no kidding but problem solved you just have to leave that bolt pretty loose for that noise to stop. Its def a 2 person job, one to break the bolt and the other to hold the allen socket

Yeah this sounds like the common fix, glad you got yours figured out. I need to go get a socket tonight, I've been trying to do it myself with only an allen wrench, and it's not happening. Just to make sure, it's a 5mm wrench?

I'm pretty confident that once I get mine loose, they'll be ok. I just can't believe they're on that tight!

So no more weird noises now?

MY NUTS ARE LOOSE!! MY NUTS ARE LOOSE!! :spin:

ok sorry...

Definitely a two person job, I held a 5mm allen socket (3/8" drive) good, steady and level while my father twisted the 19mm bolt and off they came. Whew, glad that's over.

Still getting noise from the fronts, but I didn't drive too far. Seems to have calmed down a little though, maybe everything just needs to settle in.

So from those of you who have little to no noise, how tight are your top bolts? Also, what are you running for preload in the fronts (please include what you're measuring to and from)?

My top bolts are fairly loose, I twisted them until they made contact with the top flange and I couldn't see daylight. I wouldn't say they're snugged up, but there's no flop in there. My preload in the front is 6 7/8" measured from top hat to perch (basically the spring).

So no more weird noises now?

Well im back online now because my ride was way to stiff for me so i turned the adj knob 4 clicks to the soft side and now i have the sound all over again and now it sounds like my entire coilover is loose. It sounds like its just banging around in there. To answer your question no until today. :spin:

My preload in the front is 6 7/8" measured from top hat to perch (basically the spring).

I started mine around there but i kept getting that noise so in one of my many attempts to fix it i lowered it to just under 7 1/2"

Archived