LegacyGT.com

Service Program WQD-40: Front Catalytic Converter Replacement & Engine Control Module

aigochamaloh

Just got this email today.

Cliff notes: Anyone with a 2008-2009 Legacy, Outback, or Forester 2.5i with PZEV will be getting their front catalytic converter replaced and ECU reprogrammed.

Hmm, this will be my 3rd catalytic converter. Subaru took my 1st one after they picked my car to be tested in Michigan.

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for your selection of a 2008-2009 model year Subaru Legacy, Outback or Forester vehicle equipped with a 2.5 Liter engine and a California Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) system. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction.

Subaru has determined that the efficiency of your vehicle’s front catalytic converter may degrade over time. If the catalytic converter efficiency degrades beyond an acceptable level, your vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed California standards. To correct this condition, Subaru will replace the front catalytic converter and reprogram the Engine Control Module software logic to improve management of the catalytic converter. This software change will not adversely affect fuel economy or the performance of your vehicle.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY

We ask that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru Dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle’s front catalytic converter replaced and Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. Doing so will help ensure your vehicle’s full protection under the emission warranty as failure to do so may be considered a lack of proper maintenance. This will take approximately 1 hour to complete. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car longer on the day of your appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Your Subaru dealer will perform this modification at no cost to you.

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California’s vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a “Proof of Correction Certificate.” If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the “DMV”) when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the service we are providing at no charge, your vehicle may not pass this test.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE

To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at www.subaru.com and select “Find a Dealer”.

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, please go to: http://www.wqd40.service-campaign.com

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:

• Telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET
    Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET
    Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET
  • E-mail: Go to www.subaru.com and select “Contact Us”.
  • U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: CDS Department, P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000.

Please contact us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

Your continued satisfaction with Subaru is important to us. This update is intended to ensure your vehicle’s optimal performance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

hmm interesting.

i had mine replaced and ecu reprogrammed when it was 1yr old because of failure.

now at 5yr old, does this mean i have to do this again?

i had the P0420 come on a month ago and i cleared it and hasn't come back. i hope it was just a fluke.

• 2 weeks later...
i just got a call today from the dealership i bought the car from about the reflash.

figures they call me after i cleared my P0420. gotta wait for the code to come on again then call them back.

Don't need the code to come back, they will replace your cat and flash the ECU if you're covered in the recall.

So if I have an 2009 Subaru Forester in Illinois, this does not apply ?

Q: Does this affect ALL Subaru models?

A: This Service Program applies to 2008-09MY PZEV Legacy, Outback and Forester with motor vehicle registration in the following states:

2008MY: California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

2009MY: California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Jersey, Oregon and Washington.

Don't need the code to come back, they will replace your cat and flash the ECU if you're covered in the recall.

I think if theres no code, they will just reflash it. if theres the check engine light they will replace the cat.

This is the second time i cleared it, so i kind of want it to come back on before they reflash it, just it case they don't replace the cat.

So if I have an 2009 Subaru Forester in Illinois, this does not apply ?

No I guess not.

I think if theres no code, they will just reflash it. if theres the check engine light they will replace the cat.

This is the second time i cleared it, so i kind of want it to come back on before they reflash it, just it case they don't replace the cat.

No they should replace the cat regardless.

• 3 weeks later...
Yea, I'm not gonna get it done until right before my smog check is due, which is this year? 5 years after purchase year right? Might as well get a new cat right before I am required to change it.

I thought I read somewhere that first smog test interval for PZEV vehicles is longer than non-PZEVs....I could be wrong though.

Archived