LegacyGT.com

Engine won't crank, dash has "Er HC" on odometer

Hi all.

After pulling then engine and replacing a valve on my 2005 Outback XT, the engine is finally back in and ready to start. The problem? It won't.

I'll elaborate, when I turn on ("On" key position) the dash does its thing, and then the engine temp gauge pegs at "HOT" and my fuel gauge goes to full or empty. An error code Er HC is on my odometer.

I do have an acessport, but I HAVE NOT used it on my car, AT ALL.

I've tried disconnecting the battery, wiggling and reconnecting the wire plug near the turbo and nothing has helped.

Any ideas?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never touched any green plugs in the car, so they aren't connected.

Hmm. Never seen that code pop otherwise. Not saying you are wrong, but I would look just to eliminate them. GL

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

Well. At least they are eliminated from the troubleshooting. BTW There are 2 of them under there. They connect together to enter "test" mode.

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

Starter fuse is fine, SBF fuses are all a-okay and I don't know where to find the ecm fuse.

All wire connections under the intercooler are firmly connected, the main engine connector is firmly connected...

I'm out of ideas.

The test mode plugs are underneath the glove box and are both untouched as long as I've had the vehicle and are not connected.

I've had the entire wiring lume off and there is no place it can be short circuited or pinched.

I'm going to go to my local dealer and see if they know anything or want a used car. I'm sick of this thing.

So I ran the car through a self diagnosis test (the white connectors in the fuse panel inside the car being hooked up and pressing the trip button twice) and my check engine light does NOT come on. Can anyone explain this?

First plug in the access port if it doesn't connect your ECM is not on. Check all grounds; one on each cyl head, one on the back of driver side head by throttle body and defenetly one by starter. I ended up checking through the obd2 port and found the pin that grounds ecu and jumped it to ground temporarily.

The one ground strap on the bottom of the passenger side head has been corroded off around the connector since I've had the car. However, I'm not sure what ground you're referring to on the driver side head. Does it attach to the back or the head? Does it have a rubber or plastic shroud/cover on it?

I'll be checking my AP tomorrow when its light out.

Here are the two bottom grounds

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5215_zps4651c6e9.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5218_zps47b42c1c.jpg

Make sure all the connectors are fully seated, I'm guessing you missed one.

Did you plug in the small wire on the starter ?

Also the ground wire for the tranny which is on the bracket of the firewall behind the tmic.

Also the matting surface of the block/tranny is a ground path. THat should be wire brushed when ever the two are apart.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived