LegacyGT.com

Engine Seized

Went to the drag strip last weekend..made 5 passes (best pass was a 13.9) and while sitting,idling in the parking lot after a run my engine shut off..no warning lights, nothing...shut off.

Checked oil level, clean and full

Coolant was good

Removed timing belt cover...not snapped! lol

Couldnt turn engine over manually with socket and ratchet..so made an appointment with a local machine shop to rebuild the engine..

Took the engine out...dropped the oil pan...looks to me like a spun bearing.

But its strange because 1)it happened at idle and 2) the oil was clean and full..

HMM..

Will update when i get word from machince shop..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What oil were you using ?

It's kind of odd that would happen without any prior noise. I'm also sure you were not expecting it so you were not intent on listening to the engine sounds.

Yes, do let us know...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Mobile 1 5w-30 is notoriously bad oil for these cars. No real 'science' to back this up, but why use it when there are so many other "better" options. Go with Rotella T6 5w-40, full synthetic. It's cheap and readily available at walmart / advance auto.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Mobile 1 5w-30 is notoriously bad oil for these cars. No real 'science' to back this up, but why use it when there are so many other "better" options. Go with Rotella T6 5w-40, full synthetic. It's cheap and readily available at walmart / advance auto.

Ill have to use that when i get my engine back! i never knew about the mobile 1 being "bad" for our cars

Could this be the first real evidence of why you should not use Mobil1 5w-30 in these engines.

If you still had the oil, you may be able to send it to Blackstone Labs.

Were you on the stock tune ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

With AAA the 93 mile home to my old house (Somers CT) was free. Had the civic brought home twice from there when it was a street car.

Good Luck

BTW AAA with 100 mile towing is like $150.00 Great piece of mind when you use there other benefits, they pay for the membership.

Im not sure that its necessarily the mobil1 syn thats the problem, because I've had multiple turbo subarus where some would eat mobil 1 synthetic and some could go 7000 miles and maybe burn half a quart at most. For example, my legacy that I have now doesn't burn any of it. Im sure a lot of this has to do with the loose tolerances the factory has on these engines. Considering your oil level was fine though, and your crank bearings were shot, I'd lean towards some sort of knocking/detonation issues.

You'll know once you see the rest of the bearings. If they're hammered then you may have been dealing with some knock that eventually just got the best of the bearing. Or possibly the car was starved of oil at some point.

Either way, if all your internals are good, getting it back on the road with a crank polish and some new bearings isn't so bad.

Archived