LegacyGT.com

05 LGT "studdering" during low speed acceleration.

Driver72

Does your LGT "studder"  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Does your LGT "studder"

• Yes it does and quite often
    • Yes it does but just occasionally
    • A couple times at first, but it's DEFINITELY gone away.
    • Never has, accelerates perfectly smooth everytime.

Just curious how many people have experienced their LGT's "studder", "hiccup" whatever you want to call it during low speed acceleration. I've personally felt it a couple times now and both times it took place when leaving a stop sign or light in 1st or 2nd gear at low rpms when I've applied medium amounts of throttle inputs. To be more precise, for those who may not have even paid attention to it, it goes like this: Release the clutch and begin to pull away from the light under light throttle, then you get into the throttle a bit heavier while under 2000 rpm's only to feel a couple quick "studders" or "hiccups" for a brief second as the the car is accelerating away. Once you start to get into the boost area 2800 rpms+ it won't happen. These are not major hesitations or misfires or anything, just small studdering. I know many have posted about this before and I've spoke to a couple people who've experienced this very same thing, but I want to get a better idea of how many people have had this on their car and if it's a pretty common 05 LGT characteristic. Maybe we can speed up Subaru's resolution by reflashing the ECU or taking whatever steps are necessary to fix it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only have 285 miles on my car even though I've had it for 3 weeks. I didn't notice it for the first 250 miles, but most of those were freeway miles going from the dealership to home and then to Star Shield and back getting my clearbra put on. And yes, I did vary my speed on the freeway between 60-80 mph and even occasionally shifting it down to 4th while at 60-65 mph for a little bit. But once while the car was still relatively cold I noticed it, and then later after driving it around for 10-15 miles it did it again a couple times. I wondered if it was the case of it being so new, but others with over their break in miles still get it and I remember reading other posts about this too. Here's one of them: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2030&highlight=studder[/url] I'm hoping it will go away with more break in miles and as the ECU "learns" and adjusts for everything, including the crappy 91 Octane California gas. Again, I just want to get a better idea of how wide spread it is and how many people it affected and if it "went away" for them as they got more miles on the car. Mine doesn't seem to be that bad or that often, but still even though it's minor and I've only noticed it a couple times, I wouldn't like it if it was there all the time.

Had my LGT 5M for just shy of one month now but beyond 3K miles already. Definitely do notice the "hesitation" as I've called it. And no, its not a misread of the turbo lag affect. It's a legitimate drop in power but very briefly. I've learned to accept it. I find that this car is not enjoyed most by trying to launch it fast from a stand still. This car is best suited for passing wanttabees on the road. I love the way this car blasts away from 50 mph like it was standing still.

I've noticed it a few times while entering expressway ramps. One time I floored the gas pedal to see if it would stop but the studder continued, I let off at 4500rpm in 3rd because I only had 500 miles on the car. Lately, approaching 1,000 miles on the car, I've begun to run it a little harder, and most of the time there is no studder. I wonder if it is an ignition/electrical problem, it makes the car feel like it needs a tune-up, but since this is a new car, obviously it does not. I also wonder if gutting the up-pipe will solve the issue.

I was talking to Boostjunkie about it too. He's talked to Subaru about it and I guess they said there is nothing they can do right now. But I guess they are aware of the "problem" and are going to work on a ECU reflash or something. But, once I get more than 1000 miles on my car I want to dyno the car and see if it "studders" during the dyno runs, if so, if it can be seen on the dyno plot. I'm sure it can, because it feels like a few rapid successions of hiccups or something and during that brief period, it definitely doesn't feel like it's accelerating smoothly, therefore it's got to be losing power for ever so brief period before full boost kicks in.

100% reproducible: 1. Put it in 2nd gear, at 2000 rpms. Having lots of passengers and/or going uphill helps 2. Apply between 20% and 50% throttle. 3. Stutter. WOT may have a hiccup, but it doesn't stutter. (edit) Perhaps you should put this in your main post, and ask if it stutters when you do this.

I have a 5EAT and I have not noticed what everyone else is describing. It appears this is isolated to cars with MT? My car only has just over 700 miles. I'll keep an eye out for this as it gets more miles.

[quote name='Xenonk']Let the car warm up some.. it's the tranny fluids that needs to get warmed up a little bit.. dont forget, this darn thing has a lighten flywheel, so you gotta spin it up a little bit to get the studderring out of it. Keefe[/QUOTE] I've driven car with very lightweight flywheels and its never happened. My car does this anytime I try to give it some throttle at low RPMs it obviously has to do with the fuel delivery its not smoothed out so its choking up.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='LandShark']Had my LGT 5M for just shy of one month now but beyond 3K miles already. Definitely do notice the "hesitation" as I've called it. And no, its not a misread of the turbo lag affect. It's a legitimate drop in power but very briefly. I've learned to accept it. I find that this car is not enjoyed most by trying to launch it fast from a stand still. This car is best suited for passing wanttabees on the road. I love the way this car blasts away from 50 mph like it was standing still.[/QUOTE] I agree completely, Landshark! This car is a dream on the highway. Though it seemed to launch very well from a standstill when I first got it, now at 1200 miles it is not nearly as enjoyable accelerating from a standstill as my WRX was. Though some of this may be due to the shudder...which I have. But going from 65-80...wow. BTW, I find accelerating in 4th to be more satisfying and seemingly quicker than accelerating in 3rd (with the rpms higher) when at or around 65 or 70. Anyone else? This is quite different from the WRX where the power was in 2nd and 3rd. As for the poll, it would be helpful for folks to indicate their current mileage, the mileage when they first noticed the shudder, and whether the shudder has improved or gotten worse since it was first noticed. I first noticed it at around 650 miles, I now have about 1200 miles and it is either a bit more pronounced now or I am just noticing it more... Cheers

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I noticed it in the 250-260 mile mark for the first time. I drove about 10 miles today without noticing it. But it seems this is quite common, and could easily be classified as a "problem" I think we should all contact Subaru of America (or if you are in Canada, them too) and point out this problem. If we all get on them about this, they are SURELY more apt to find and solve the problem A LOT faster than if complaints just trickle in over the next 6 months to a year. If it's a simple reflash, than they need to do that for us. Just think, if this "studder" or "hiccups" can be fixed in a reflash, our cars may even find more power than they already have and produce even better results...not to mention smoother, more linear power delivery. I for one will be contacting SOA this week! And after this thread has been up for awhile and more people vote on the poll and give their thoughts and experiences, I will very likely post the website (or link) to them as well so they can read first hand. Even though so far it's only been a couple times for me, I personally don't think we should "settle" on accepting it. The car should just not do that!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH What is it with Americans coming up with new words? Use either shudder or stutter for crying out loud. Studder???????????????????? Sounds like the car just hesitates intermittently would be a better description. Did you guys even go to school - or did you forget most of what you learnt when you left? It's not hard to speak like an adult. For what it's worth, I'll try to help. A modern car takes miles to adapt to a higher octane fuel. From my experience, the consumption of around 3 tank fulls of a higher octane fuel allows the car to fully adapt to it and therefore make the most out of it. If you are exepriencing the hesitation symptoms described here, run you car on three full tanks of the highest octane fuel available and see if the problem persists. Don't try one tank of low octane in between the other tanks of high octane.

[quote name='Deer Killer']100% reproducible: 1. Put it in 2nd gear, at 2000 rpms. Having lots of passengers and/or going uphill helps 2. Apply between 20% and 50% throttle. 3. Stutter. WOT may have a hiccup, but it doesn't stutter. (edit) Perhaps you should put this in your main post, and ask if it stutters when you do this.[/QUOTE] No wonder I never had it. Having driven a WRX, I know better than to stick it in 2nd at 2k. That's like complaining that your car shudders if you try taking off on 3rd gear.

Archived