Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (https://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   First Generation Legacy (1989 - 1993) (https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   trying to keep my "new" first gen going (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191574)

subaruguy509 11-27-2012 08:04 PM

Maybe a 2 or 3 if you have done them before, and maybe 5-6 if you never have. You can easily watch Youtube for step by step really....I have done this for various things with my Subie Wagon.

TheSwede 11-28-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93 legacy (Post 4038500)
has anyone ever had the bottom seam give out on a radiator? any idea what would cause this?

how hard is that radiator to swap out, ill be doing it in a parking lot.

Not quite, but I had an entire element column from the radiator in my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer fall out while at the subaru dealership looking for a new car lol.

I managed to drive it about a mile down the road and park it in the Lowe's parking lot, got a ride to Advanced Auto Parts and bought a new radiator, and back to the parking lot to replace it. Time under the hood was probably about an hour, tops. Not sure how hard it is in the Legacy's though, Grand Wagoneer's are quite spacious under the hood.

njdriver04 11-28-2012 01:50 PM

do you have a legacy turbo or na? what size wheels? I ask because you could always buy used wrx front calipers and new set of rotors and pads for the front, but you would need 16 in rims.

Did the shop mention if you need new ebrake hardware? I ask because replacing ebrake shoes and springs and such can get a little difficult. But, as far as replacing calipers and rotors all around it shouldn't be that bad just we aware that some bolts might be a bitch to remove due to the age of the car. You will need to bleed your brakes after you replace the calipers which will require a second person but not difficult if you understand the process.

njdriver04 11-28-2012 01:53 PM

also, consider getting a price on the turbo calipers and rotors new from napa. might not be much more and they will clear 15 inch wheels.

monkeyposeur 11-28-2012 09:02 PM

^+1. The L brakes have much to be desired. The turbo calipers are a huge improvement. My '95 L is my DD and I gave my wife my turbo SS to be her DD. Her brakes are much, much better. Now that I swapped 16" wheels on my '95 I can't wait to do the wrx brake swap. But if you are keeping your stock brake setup nice pads will make a big difference.

Replacing rotors and pads is really easy. Why do you need to replace all the calipers? You can get rebuild kits for your calipers for about $8 each if you want to save some money.

93 legacy 11-29-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaruguy509 (Post 4175775)
Maybe a 2 or 3 if you have done them before, and maybe 5-6 if you never have. You can easily watch Youtube for step by step really....I have done this for various things with my Subie Wagon.

that's normally what i do but not many results for Subaru calipers. there is a video about how to look for faulty remanufacturered calipers though

93 legacy 11-29-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSwede (Post 4176383)
Not quite, but I had an entire element column from the radiator in my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer fall out while at the subaru dealership looking for a new car lol.

I managed to drive it about a mile down the road and park it in the Lowe's parking lot, got a ride to Advanced Auto Parts and bought a new radiator, and back to the parking lot to replace it. Time under the hood was probably about an hour, tops. Not sure how hard it is in the Legacy's though, Grand Wagoneer's are quite spacious under the hood.

it was an easy swap. i do recommend replacing the hoses that run to the transmission as well. i didn't and regretted it later...:mad:

93 legacy 11-29-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdriver04 (Post 4177038)
do you have a legacy turbo or na? what size wheels? I ask because you could always buy used wrx front calipers and new set of rotors and pads for the front, but you would need 16 in rims.

Did the shop mention if you need new ebrake hardware? I ask because replacing ebrake shoes and springs and such can get a little difficult. But, as far as replacing calipers and rotors all around it shouldn't be that bad just we aware that some bolts might be a bitch to remove due to the age of the car. You will need to bleed your brakes after you replace the calipers which will require a second person but not difficult if you understand the process.

i have the non turbo and stock wheels. i need to get new tires so i was considering upping in size on the rims but i think im just going to stay stock for now. my boots on my rack and pinion are torn up too :( so my repairs are adding up.

my calipers are all compressing unevenly and rotors well below the discard measurement

GTEASER 11-29-2012 06:21 PM

:needpics:

Come on. :mad: Let's see her!!

93 legacy 12-02-2012 08:11 PM

sorry Gteaser ill post some pics soon. my parts are in at napa and i think i found a good air compressor and some used impact tools on crieglist.

i have finals this week but im excited to start the project. i think im going to do the first 3 and for the last one make a youtube video.

i have read alot about the bolts that hold in the calipers snapping in the imprezas so im assuming i might see a similar problem?. is there anything i can do to avoid this? ive read to try acetone+atf or PB blaster.

im also going to try the torch

id really like to just impact these bolts off that is why im buying an air compressor for this project

monkeyposeur 12-02-2012 08:41 PM

Don't forget to consider getting an electric impact gun. I bought a Kawasaki electric gun for $70 from PepBoys and it has been great. They really save your back. I bought it because I was having a hell of a time getting off an axle nut. It wouldn't budge even with liberal amounts of PB blaster, torching, and cranking with a very long breaker bar for hours. I bought it thinking I would use it and take it back, but I soon realized that I had to keep it. You could also get a really cheap one from Harbor Freight, but they may be low quality and not be long lasting like many of their tools.

There was only one bolt that my electric gun couldn't get off and that was a cam sprocket bolt. Fortunately the head was off the block so I just took it down to a buddy's shop and they spun it off real quick with their air powered impact gun.

I'd love to have a cordless impact gun for junkyard forays, but they are $300 or so.

PB blaster works wonders. I've read that Kano Kroil is even better, but have never used it. But PB blast the bolts a day or too in advance and see if you can get them off with a long wrench.

subikid90 12-02-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4183669)
Don't forget to consider getting an electric impact gun. I bought a Kawasaki electric gun for $70 from PepBoys and it has been great. They really save your back. I bought it because I was having a hell of a time getting off an axle nut. It wouldn't budge even with liberal amounts of PB blaster, torching, and cranking with a very long breaker bar for hours. I bought it thinking I would use it and take it back, but I soon realized that I had to keep it. You could also get a really cheap one from Harbor Freight, but they may be low quality and not be long lasting like many of their tools.

There was only one bolt that my electric gun couldn't get off and that was a cam sprocket bolt. Fortunately the head was off the block so I just took it down to a buddy's shop and they spun it off real quick with their air powered impact gun.

I'd love to have a cordless impact gun for junkyard forays, but they are $300 or so.

PB blaster works wonders. I've read that Kano Kroil is even better, but have never used it. But PB blast the bolts a day or too in advance and see if you can get them off with a long wrench.

Milwaukee sells a very nice cordless impact I want to pick up when I have some free cash. I have their 1/4" impact driver and that works great for most things and well worth the $120 I paid for it.

monkeyposeur 12-02-2012 10:07 PM

^+1 on anything Milwaukee. Great tools. I love my Milwaukee sawzall and my drill. :)

njdriver04 12-03-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4183788)
^+1 on anything Milwaukee. Great tools. I love my Milwaukee sawzall and my drill. :)

New Milwaukee tools are suspect, the old stuff that was made in the USA, good stuff. I have Dewalt Electric Gun. But, I love my Hilti power tools, well worth the investment, if you use them often enough.

93 legacy 12-03-2012 09:18 PM

thanks for the advice. my ex room mate had the electric dewalt impact, it was a little over 200 on sale.

on a full battery ill admit they kick ass, but who is responsible enough to keep a charged batter? (probably most people:spin:)

this is what it cost me....

27 gal 6 hp colman air compressor $140

$20 (2) impact guns, impact wrench, sawzaw and air tool

$19.99 sears hose and connectors

back to the original question...

anyone snapped off the caliper bolts or bracket bolts when attempting a caliper change? should i just close my eyes and try to blast it off? i mean what other options are there? from the limited information i can find on the issue, its pure luck if your f"ed or not and if it breaks then its $$$ to have a pro fix it.

i'm scared :eek: