LegacyGT.com

I think my turbo might be on it's way out.

I have a VF39 right now with probably 60,000 or so miles on it (I picked it up used so I don't know for sure). I thought I heard a very slight grinding noise coming from it while I was on the freeway yesterday and I tried to duplicate the noise today, but I had no luck.

So now I am thinking I might need to start looking for a replacement and finally pull the trigger on an aftermarket turbo. Let me first say that I am quite happy with the performance of the VF39. There is nice quick spool up and while the power is not "big" by any means, it's still pretty nice. Edit: I found my old dyno graph and I was making 278 HP and 301 TQ on cali 91 octane.

That all being said, I wouldn't mind a nice little bump in power. If a turbo could to get me to the 320 to 330 HP range and still retain good to decent spool I would be happy. I'm not really interested in going above that power level because my car has 85,xxx miles and it's my DD. I feel these power levels are within pretty safe limits of the stock block / pistons and I like that.

Here is a little background on my power mods: 850cc injectors, fuel pump, custom upgraded TMIC, up pipe and a full turbo back exhaust but that's it. My intake is stock with a drop in K+N filter and my boost control is stock. I am not interested in adding anything to my car except a new turbo.

So here is what I was thinking for my options. I can get a billet wheel for any of these and I think it's probably a good idea because it will help spool to the best of my knowledge.

18G -TD06sl2 (7 or 8cm)

18G -TD06 (7 or 8cm)

20G-TD05 (with a 7cm, it's the "smallest" of the 20g's, but I was thinking this might have nice quick spool and decent top end)

20G - TD06SL2 (7cm or 8cm)

20G - TD06H (I really think this would be overkill, especially with an 8cm and my limited supporting mods)

So what do you think? I would especially like input from members who have experience with these turbo's and mod's similar to time. Thanks in advance. :)

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

My spec.b with BNR 18g + 872cc injectors+ FMIC = 330whp on CA91, 392 on e85 (airboy dyno)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193268

My 5eat wagon w/ deadbolt 18g + Perrin TMIC + 740cc injectors = 305whp on CA91, 330whp on CA91 + meth (low reading mustang numbers)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4239892&postcount=4807

20G-TD06SL2-7cm

Thanks, I was sorta hoping you would chime in. ;)

I have been doing quite a bit of research since I started this thread. I was always drawn to the TD06SL2 compressor wheel because it seems like a good compromise between the TD05 and TD06H.

In regards to the 7cm vs. 8cm: From what I have read, the only bad thing with the 7cm is that you can get boost creep (then have to go with an external waste gate). That is NOT a road I want to go down.

The TD05 with a 8cm seems like an interesting option. There are guys out there running these and the dyno charts look pretty good IMO. I forgot his user name, but one guy is a member here on the forum.

Where do people go to but turbo's online? I surely don't want eBay.

Not sure what you mean. You can buy IHI, Mistubishi, Forced Performance, Blouch, Garrett and other turbo's online and they are all good.

While I agree that most turbo's on e-bay are a joke, there are a few brands that are OK. You just gotta do your homework and find out what company is ok and what is not. Kinugawa is a good example of a legit "ebay" turbo. They use the same parts as a lot of "big name" turbo companies.

Not sure what you mean. You can buy IHI, Mistubishi, Forced Performance, Blouch, Garrett and other turbo's online and they are all good.

While I agree that most turbo's on e-bay are a joke, there are a few brands that are OK. You just gotta do your homework and find out what company is ok and what is not. Kinugawa is a good example of a legit "ebay" turbo. They use the same parts as a lot of "big name" turbo companies.

Yeah man, these turbos for 1,200+ ...was thinking there must be a better option. But, buying a used one is a gamble especially if bought online on a forum like this.

So wait, you've been two times rally X champ with an OBXT? If yes, that's cool!

Well, not really. I was the California Rally Series champ in 2008 and 2009 driving my year 2000 2.5RS. I competed the 2007 season in the OBXT and I never finished higher than 6th :redface: (I was a rookie, what can I say?) My 2.5rs was out of service for one race though and I brought back the OBXT out of "retirement" and I ended up getting 1st in that race. That was 2009 I think. It just goes to show you its 90% the nut behind the wheel that really matters. ;)

Well, not really. I was the California Rally Series champ in 2008 and 2009 driving my year 2000 2.5RS. I competed the 2007 season in the OBXT and I never finished higher than 6th :redface: (I was a rookie, what can I say?) My 2.5rs was out of service for one race though and I brought back the OBXT out of "retirement" and I ended up getting 1st in that race. That was 2009 I think. It just goes to show you its 90% the nut behind the wheel that really matters. ;)

Nice. We have the same looking car :) (same color, my interior is beige though but probably different guts). Good luck with the turbo.

Edit: I'd like to see some pics and vids of your rally experiences :)

If I were iin your shoes I'd go with an BNR hta68. Decent do low and holds till redline. Would probably give you around 320 -330 on a mustang dyno with a conservative tune. Could go with an 18g but you will have to push iT pretty hard to make 330 on 91oct. Again, I'm basing this off a mustang dyno.

OK, the sound was really starting to bug me so I did some poking around my car and it turns out the sound was from my front passenger side brake heat shield rubbing ever so slightly against the rotor. I could only hear it on the freeway I think because of the speeds. I bent the heat shield away from the rotor and now I have no more noise.

So now I don't think I need a new turbo. :redface: The thing is, I am all revved up on buying one now!! :lol: I guess I know what I will go with when the VF39 finally dies.

OK, the sound was really starting to bug me so I did some poking around my car and it turns out the sound was from my front passenger side brake heat shield rubbing ever so slightly against the rotor. I could only hear it on the freeway I think because of the speeds. I bent the heat shield away from the rotor and now I have no more noise.

So now I don't think I need a new turbo. :redface: The thing is, I am all revved up on buying one now!! :lol: I guess I know what I will go with when the VF39 finally dies.

Buy one anyways! ;)

Archived