LegacyGT.com

Stalling issue

So my 98 legacy gt just got out of Suburu for repairs I spent more than 1300 dollars because I was having issues with the car stalling and not firing up right so I had the harmonic balancer replaced all new belts and a front end oil seal because they told me these were the issues. When I got it from the shop the alternator had gone so I could t even test it out. Anyway a day later I got a alternator from the salvage yard and put it in myself the car fired up and seemed to be running ok but then everything went to hell on it again. The car is running rough there is a loud ticking to the engine and it stalls when it is in neutral. The idle fluctuates up and down and then it stalls. Also the check engine light came back on and after it stalls it is really hard to get it started again I have to keep the ignition turned for about 10 to 20 seconds and give it gas just to get it to start. I love this car and I have invested so much into it I kinda feel like I got ripped off by Suburu as the car is still not fixed. I have a feeling this could be related to the idle air control or possibly plugs but I am not sure. If anybody may know of any possible diagnoses it would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't sound good, perhaps post a video of the trouble.

The ticking can be many things, including but not limited to a motor knock, valvetrain out of adjustment, out of time and piston valve collision on one bank of cylinders. It could be as simple as a spark plug not threaded in. The ticking is not a good sign and means there is a mechanical thing going on, especially if its loud.

Are YOU going to work on the car, or is someone else? I would get this looked at ASAP.

Where do you live? maybe someone can suggest a good shop?

Lots of people are going to tell you to get the codes pulled, go to the auto parts store and ask for the code reader. plug it in under the dash board. We can give you a better idea if you let us know what the codes are.

first, go back to the shop and ask for your money back. they failed to fix your car. if you can't get a full refund try for a refund of the labor. you may have needed the parts they sold you but they said it would fix the problem and it didn't.

it symptoms of the problem are pretty well hidden in with the other shop ''issues'', especially the issues that caused you to go to the shop in the first place. but....

look for a vacuum leak. the small vac lines / tubes running from the engine to the passenger strut tower. or the large one going from the IAC to the plastic air plenum . it attaches to the plenum on the very bottom, underneath and is very hard to see.

makes me wonder if the shop got the timing wrong when they put it back together. i totally would go back and demand cash back, i cant see changing oil seals and a harmonic balancer (do our cars even use that pulley as a balancer?) causing what you described as the reason to go there.

makes me wonder if the shop got the timing wrong when they put it back together. i totally would go back and demand cash back, i cant see changing oil seals and a harmonic balancer (do our cars even use that pulley as a balancer?) causing what you described as the reason to go there.

I don't think they replaced the timing belt.

I agree those issues wouldn't cause the problems you have/had. I would walk right back into the dealership and Bitch them out. Right in front of other customers, that will help you out in getting some sort of reimbursement. It sounds like a air leak or a IAC.

The balancer on these engine really only helps aid in damping the vibrations felt in the drivers compartment from the layout of the engine. You can tell this by people installing lightweight crank pullies without damaging the engine and I heard they free up a decent amount of HP. Where you install a pulley like that on a 2jz Toyota engine and you will destroy it for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys thank you for the replies sorry I actually forgot I made this! So here is the update I took my Suburu back down to them and explained the issues. They told me they would look at it again free of charge. It turns out the engine had been running on 2 or 3 cylinders and it was having a hard engine slap and misfiring and that I will have to replace it. Its kind of bs that they didnt tell me this in the first place but what they said was that they thought the issue was in the harmonic balancer and timing and pulley etc. and that they couldnt have know untill they fixed these things. Any way I am in a bind now and I don't know what to do. I guess I am looking at a rebuild or to buy a rebuilt online. Does anyone know what kind of prices I will be looking at I will be in a budget of around 2000 to spend on buying the engine and the installation. If anybody knows any good sites for this that 2 would be appreciated. Also I live in Whitehorse, Yukon.

Cheers everyone!!!

Its kind of bs that they didnt tell me this in the first place
its BS, regardless.

you need a different shop. how big is whitehorse? 2 shops?

it could be dead, but nothing you have said, or claim they said, makes me think this is the case. of course it is not unusual for non-mechanics to have a translation problem when speak ''repair''.

you need hard data, like cylinder compression, and is the timing belt installed correctly. and until you / we know some details there isn't much we can do to help.

find a different shop be fore you throw the car away or agree to spend a bunch of money on a replacement or rebuild.

good luck

its BS, regardless.

you need a different shop. how big is whitehorse? 2 shops?

it could be dead, but nothing you have said, or claim they said, makes me think this is the case. of course it is not unusual for non-mechanics to have a translation problem when talking ''repairs''.

you need hard data, like cylinder compression, and is the timing belt installed correctly. and until you / we know some details there isn't much we can do to help.

find a different shop be fore you throw the car away or agree to spend a bunch of money on a replacement or rebuild.

good luck

Couldn't agree more ... way too 'mechanics' knee jerk to 'replace this' and 'get a new this.' You need to find a true diagnostician ... someone that will take the time to really narrow down the problems, not a plug-and-play mechanic.

Having said that, your options for garages and mechanics may be limited in Whitehorse. Best of luck.

Archived