Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (https://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VF52 worth it? (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202209)

LosAngelesLGT 02-24-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subymike (Post 4309113)
Yeah ive already got a stg 2 exedy im installing with everything else. So im good there. And im looking to be around 350ish whp.

Do not use that exedy. Just don't. If you do want to torture yourself, go for it. Particularly do not use with the F1/exedy 13.7lb lwfw. If you ARE going to use, you must use tsk3 kit as the exedy TOB is a POS and could cost you a tranny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subymike (Post 4309237)
Well its dd/ occasional 1/4 car. And unfortunately e85 isnt easily available in my area :( so maybe 18g or vf52 might be my better choice then?

You already bought fueling and you are still considering a vf52? You bought fueling and you are considering a 18g over a 20g? :iam:

Id love for you to explain to me your reasoning as there is no major difference between a 18g vs 20g lag-wise when compared to OEM (both are similarly more laggy than oem) but there is a meaningful difference power wise and one actually makes buying the fueling worth it.

Anyhow, the best turbo for you is 20g^7cm or 20g^7.5cm. A BnR 20g is probably the best solution financially.

subymike 02-24-2013 11:04 AM

well like i said, its my first turbo upgrade and im not real familiar with how different ones work. Thats why ive been doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions. Lol. 20g does seem to be the most popular from what ive heard though. And i havent heard that about the clutch/flywheel. Im going to have to look into that more..

subymike 02-24-2013 11:15 AM

And what would be my ideal flywheel with that then?

LosAngelesLGT 02-24-2013 11:15 AM

You aren't going to find the exedy information you are looking for. You can either trust me that I know better from personal experience and comparisons from Mike @ Infamous with other clutches or not. I regret the positive review I gave it. I need to get a mod to delete that shiz.

LGT stands for little girly turbo. Don't get stuck in the LGT.com syndrome of thinking a 20g is a big turbo. All you are doing by going 18g is cheating yourself out of the power you should be getting out of your investment.

The difference in lag from a 20g to an 18g is slight. The difference between either and a vf40 is more pronounced. Either way you are going to have a little less throttle response off boost.

My turbo is a lot bigger than a 20g. I don't see myself having any problems with managing lag. Look like my car is slow on a tight course to you?

Saul_Good 02-24-2013 11:27 AM

I really liked mine (plus i only paid $300 for mine). It gave a nice little increase over the VF40 and could have given a little bit more on the topend if I had upgraded my injectors. Overall I was pretty happy with it and it was adequate for me and my uses for the car.

subymike 02-24-2013 11:44 AM

yeah looks like its holding pretty well to me. but im pretty much stuck with the clutch for now.. and if i shouldnt use the f1 or exedy flywheel, then what should i use? i havent gotten the flywheel yet...

LosAngelesLGT 02-24-2013 11:54 AM

not the 05-06 dmfw but a wrx or 07+ single mass flywheel would be best for DD. Subaru changed the LegacyGT to smfw after the first couple years, whats that tell ya?

SAUL WITHOUT A DOUBT A USED vf52 IS THE HAWT, CHEAP WAY TO GO.

...but he already bought fueling.

you CAN use the exedy, just dont overheat it, dont use the lwfw f1 sub 14lb and DO use a tsk3 kit but it is a stupid amount of pressure feel for not enough grab. Feels like they make up for friction surface with pressure :lol:

subymike 02-24-2013 12:12 PM

would the clutch still bolt up to the 07+ fw no problem? and should i just go with a stock fw then?

lee07 02-24-2013 01:20 PM

Another turbo to consider is the Avo380, or an Hta68, both will get you in the low 300's on pump gas and close to 350 on e85. both are quicker to spool than the 20g and just a bit less power up top

Clutch just buy a kit, I bought the Competition stage 2 kit and it comes with an flywheel and all the other parts

Act or clutch master is a few other good ones

My choice for turbos would be avo380, vf52, hta68 and last the 20g if its a dd

LosAngelesLGT 02-24-2013 01:37 PM

Neither of those are turbo's are ideal for OP. AVO380 is priced out (more money than a BnR20g) and the HTA68 is well known to produce less stellar numbers on pump than on e85. 20g is a tremendous DD turbo and OP already said... NO E85 and lower priced.

You can use a SMFW. The exedy/f1 is a single mass flywheel.

subymike 02-24-2013 01:59 PM

Yeah i looked at the avo380 and its a good bit more than i want to spend. From what ive read the lgt can handle about 400hp before the internals and tranny start crapping out. And ive got everything (minus the flywheel) to support up to that except for the turbo. So i figure i might as well try and get as much as i can for where im at. Im pretty sure that i want to go with bnr and most of what ive heard says there good turbos. So an exedy smfw and a bnr td05 20g is where i think i might go. Plus the tsk3 kit.