LegacyGT.com

A difficult to explain noise.. Know it's something not sure what..

iv_05gt

Ok to start.

I'll be totally honest, I generally drive my LGT like I stole it. I've launched it a few times but generally just drive like a dickhead.

It's an '05 stage 2+ (bnr 16g @ 19.5PSI, tmic, AEM intake, ebcs, comp clutch & lw flywheel) w/ 137k

That being said.. The noise in question sounds like a combination of:

whirling

whining (not like the normal gear whine)

fluttery ish

It happens in any gear, or at say 70mph on the highway no gear.. clutch disengaged or engaged.

I know it's not going to be a cheap fix, and i'll probably do an overhaul on it.

What are your thoughts/idea's?

Your best bet is to get it on a lift and listen for the noise when the wheels rotate in gear. I have the same issue in my car. It is the bearings in your Center Dif/Transfer Case back housing. There is 4 bearings total in the back housing. all you have to do is drop the exhaust, driveshaft and pop the rear housing off and you should be able to do it all yourself. There are a couple DIYs on the interwebs about it. Or you can wait for when I do my write-up after I am done swapping my bearings out :) in total the bearings are around 220ish from the dealership

• 2 weeks later...
Your best bet is to get it on a lift and listen for the noise when the wheels rotate in gear. I have the same issue in my car. It is the bearings in your Center Dif/Transfer Case back housing. There is 4 bearings total in the back housing. all you have to do is drop the exhaust, driveshaft and pop the rear housing off and you should be able to do it all yourself. There are a couple DIYs on the interwebs about it. Or you can wait for when I do my write-up after I am done swapping my bearings out :) in total the bearings are around 220ish from the dealership

Do you know the part numbers for this or is it something the dealer can pull up.

Do you know the part numbers for this or is it something the dealer can pull up.

Take your VIN to the dealer, they will get you the right stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

hey guys...i didn't want to open a new thread because i am unsure what is causing my noise but sounds like it's similar to this thread so I decided to ask here.

I noticed a noise in the last few months, maybe a year, but i can't figure out where it's coming from - front or back. Noise is noticeable after about 60-70km/h. It sounds like whining or more like buzzing, like an electric motor. I hear it all the time, so clutch in or out. Also it gets louder with speed not with rpm. So if i drop it to lower gear noise is same, but if i accelerate noise increases.

It really sounds like an electric motor.

I just replaced my clutch, but noise is still there. Both bearings in clutch were replaced - pivot and release bearings.

Does this sound like central diff bearing?

if it does, where is this bearing? is it in transmission?

Thanks guys!!

Next step, you need to ride in the back seat while someone drives the car. You can hear a lot from back there.

Does the noise change when you drive on flyover exits on the highway or long curves on the highway ?

Does the steering wheel shimmy at times going that fast on different pavement ?

I'm leaning towards a wheel bearing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Not to scare you but...when my rear diff was going bad I would have sworn it was that noise was in the tranny.

In fact I even pulled the tranny and had it opened up...

No not in general. Mine the pin in the diff that holds the spyder gears moved.

But bearing noise in the rear axle may be easier to hear back there.

Archived