Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (https://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) Tech Archive (https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Kartboy short shifter installed. Now with shifter Bushings (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3750)

MtnSub 10-11-2004 03:07 PM

I wonder if the vibration issue would be there with the kartboy bushings and sti shifter? If anyone tries the karboy bushing w/stiSS, let us know. Sounds like a good combo. I will definitely see what I think about my stiSS with stock bushings before making switch. It is such a low cost, easy mod if it enhances feel.

Thanks for previous answers about warrantee, combining kartboy bushing with stiSS and putting into 1st gear on a roll with stiSS.

racerdave 10-11-2004 03:18 PM

I plan on going with the bushings first (on a stock shifter), and seeing what it does to feel, vibration, etc.

Tide 10-11-2004 04:54 PM

Moved to the Technical Forums. Cheers. :)

RobY 10-11-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drift Monkey
Nice work! Pics?

Ill get a camera one of these days...

Driver72 10-12-2004 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtnSub
I wonder if the vibration issue would be there with the kartboy bushings and sti shifter?

I'd be curious about that myself, as I have the STI sts kit in my car, and I tried the Kartboy and liked it too. It felt very similiar to the STI in my car, but a bit more positive in engagement.

Drift Monkey 10-12-2004 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobY
Ill get a camera one of these days...

It's cool, just wanted to see if I could ge lucky and score some pics. As for me, I'm still deciding if I should just replace the bushings or the shifter as well...

Boarder311 10-12-2004 11:22 AM

The only short shifter I have ever tried was on a 1989 nissan 240sx. Stock bushings, and a solid metal shift knob. Me personally I would get a leather knob, better grip, and it doesnt get smoking hot and freezing cold.

pmcneill 10-12-2004 01:07 PM

Anyone have any advise for how to torque down the nut on the bushings? I've tried both a regular and a swivel socket, but everything seems to be about 1/4" too wide to fit in there. I'm about ready to try to dremel one of my 12mm sockets, or just rely on loctite, unless someone has a better idea...

RobY 10-12-2004 10:05 PM

You need loctite...

Dont turn that nut too hard it snaps real easy tighten it 15 lb ft at most.

Use an open end wrench and turn it till it is snug and no more.

hodgeee 10-13-2004 02:45 AM

He is right, it is actually a metal rod that is threaded on the end. A 1/4" ratchet and 12mm socket is all that is needed, just tighten till snug, and it wont go anywhere. It does not hold the bushing assembly on real tight, it just firms up the assembly from moving.