Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (https://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   First Generation Legacy (1989 - 1993) (https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   New 91 keeps stalling...but only when cold (https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198291)

94legacy22 12-21-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4212341)
There are two coolant temp sensors. They are side by side on the coolant crossover pipe. One goes to the cluster gauge, and the other goes to the ecu.

94legacy22, there are a lot of junkyards out here. I could probably find you one if you don't have any luck.

ok cool i'l pm u if i need it... my car surges while accelerating. i clean the maf with cleaner and its good for about a week then starts acting up again.

SomethingWittyAsAUsername 12-29-2012 10:01 PM

Ok, so I replaced the plugs, air and fuel filters, and the coolant sensor with the spade connector. It helped a bit, but it still stalls, and sometimes when warm. Also cleaned the IACV. Any more ideas?

05LGTLtd 12-30-2012 08:57 AM

A shot of techron concentrate and a tank of shell 93?

Any codes?

You cleaned the throttle body when you did the iacv?

TPS? Vacuum leak from a bad hose?

SomethingWittyAsAUsername 12-30-2012 12:06 PM

Well, I pulled the codes, and here is where this gets weird. It doesn't have a CEL, but it has codes for:
Crank Pos Sensor
Fuel injector 2
Fuel Injector 3
MAF low voltage
IACV
Can Purge Valve Solenoid
Idle Switch (What?)
and Improper MAF used (That was me when I accidentally used the different style.

No vacuum leaks we can see, and i ran lucas through first tank, and seafoam on the second.

05LGTLtd 12-30-2012 12:37 PM

I think the idle switch is used in conjuction with the TPS. Time to get the meter out and check the MAF and Crank angle sensor for sure.

05LGTLtd 12-30-2012 12:56 PM

Since you just acquired the car you might want to check the various sensors with a meter and reset the codes. Who knows how long those codes have been stored. Then recheck codes in short while to see which ones pop back up. Also would be worth it to pull grounds and clean contacts up.

Vacuum leaks in old hoses can be hard to find. Best is to just work through and pull each hose one by one. Inspect and replace as nessecary.

I've never used Lucas fuel system cleaner. I've used seafoam, but techron concentrate and regane are usually held in higher regard.

SomethingWittyAsAUsername 12-30-2012 01:29 PM

Sounds like a plan. Anybody have the specs and/or procedure of testing the sensors with a multimeter?

05LGTLtd 12-30-2012 01:57 PM

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=90611

No exact value given in this thread I just found, but some where to start. Look for threads on here, legacy central and ultimate to start with via google.

Good luck, let us know what you find...

monkeyposeur 12-30-2012 08:44 PM

somethingwittyasausername, pm me your email address and I'll send you the complete factory service manual and parts catalog for 90-94 legacies. It should have all the specs for the sensors.

Reset your ecu like 05lgt recommends.

SomethingWittyAsAUsername 01-04-2013 08:28 PM

I got it to run and idle perfectly when stone cold.

This morning, it fired up, went to back out, and then it died and wouldn't restart. I pulled the battery to test it and reset the ECU. While it was out, I found the ground cable going from the battery to behind the driver side headlight had a very dirty contact, so I cleaned it.

I also took the intake off and cleaned the throttle body (during which the little straw came off the aerosol cleaner and blew into the intake manifold. Plenty of fun to retrieve!)

I'm not sure what it was, but for future reference for anyone looking, the problem was solved by either

A) Throttle body cleaning
B) ECU reset
C) Cleaning grounds

or maybe any combination.

05LGTLtd 01-04-2013 10:07 PM

Wahoo!

For good measure I'd pull connectors on injectors and sensors previously listed and spritz with contact cleaner. Wait a few weeks and pull codes again. Hopefully your in the clear now...