LegacyGT.com

Sorry if this is a repeat

Happy New Year!

Hi,

I have a 09 subaru legacy N/A and I am having a few issues. It seems that sometimes when I accelerate hard my car vibrates for a few seconds. It feels like it's coming from the rear or the middle not too sure. My ATF is fresh and it doesn't smell burned.

Another thing is how the hell do some of you guys remove the 10 mm bottom bolts on the valve covers that are closest to the firewall. What tool is the best one for this kind of job?

Thanks guys.

May be a Motor Mount, something in the drive train. :confused: It's hard to tell. I have an 08 N\A and it make all kind on noise, but I narrow most of it down to being old. Just kinda get under it and look around, find an open back road and test with windows down, If it's coming from the rear it could be a lose piece of something. Just throwing things out.

Also why are you messing with he valve cover?

I don't think its a motor mount... drive train maybe but it shifts just fine... I was thinking maybe the rear diff. How often do they go bad?

Well I was told I had a leak on the passenger side at the dealership when I went for an oil change. I checked it out and it did seem like there was one. I checked the bolt and it felt loose... Not sure if they loosened it... I tightened everything but it was a bitch I had to get under the car just to get a good angle. I used a 10mm offsett wrench.

the easiest way is to lift the engine slightly by removing he 2x 14mm lower engine mount bolts and the upper doggone mount behind the airbag.

As far as the vibrations you should swap your rear differential fluid every 30K miles or so. They don't fail all that often but maybe it's a shift solenoid that is aging/failing, that is manifesting itself in the form of a vibration. Also some owners have their TCU reflashed/replaced to resolve this issue.

I did valve cover gaskets with a socket set and a set of ratcheting wrenches without undoing engine mounts. Pretty sure I used a Snap On swivel head ratchet and a short 10 for that bitch of a bolt.

The real trick is getting the covers seated with the gasket in place.

@ GEE-OTTO thanks for the tips haven't thought about the shift solenoid or the tcu reflashed.

Ya I just checked my valve cover and it seems that there is a small leak on that side :/ it's going to suck... wish me luck

Archived