LegacyGT.com

cooling fan stuck on again... 4th ecu going in

very depressing to say the least, happens every 20K kms

or so

I'm on the verge of losing total confidence in Subaru

and in my beloved LGT

why can't Subaru figure out a viable fix for this problem?

:( they win engine of the year award but can't

figure out how to tame a friggin cooling fan... geeez

anyone know if Subaru ever commented officially on this problem?

I've searched the other thread but most people there

are unto their first replacement ecu so they think the problem

is fixed for good ( just wait and see ) ...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*** update for those interested ***

phoned SOC yesterday and said replacing the ecu is not a

viable fix and should only be done if the driver

can't take the noise anymore, they are working on a more

permanent fix and will let the dealers know when they have it.

So to all those that think they've fixed their stuck fan problem

with a new ecu well they haven't, we must all wait a little while

longer for Subaru to come out with the real mccoy.

very depressing to say the least, happens every 20K kms

or so

I'm on the verge of losing total confidence in Subaru

and in my beloved LGT

why can't Subaru figure out a viable fix for this problem?

:( they win engine of the year award but can't

figure out how to tame a friggin cooling fan... geeez

anyone know if Subaru ever commented officially on this problem?

I've searched the other thread but most people there

are unto their first replacement ecu so they think the problem

is fixed for good ( just wait and see ) ...

I have had one ECU replaced so far and the fan problem is back with a vengence. It comes on full as soon as I turn the car on. I had my ECU replaced back in October 2005.

I'm worried about this problem continuing after my warranty expires.

Call SOC at 1-800-894-4212 and let them know your concerns, if

enough of us call we can get them to move faster, make sure

you have your vehicle ID no. handy ( located under the driver

side windshield )

^ of which there is none in Canada...

I wonder what percentage of LGT owners are affected, maybe

I should start a poll to see what ratio of LGT owners are

plagued by this problem and then slap that on SOA/SOC face

lemon law

Don Docksteader had a new ECU on order for me, but they got a call from Subaru Canada telling them to cancel the order.

They told the Service Manager that a new ECU will not permanently fix the problem and they don't want to spend $1600 on a temporary fix.

I have emailed Subaru Canada to let them know my frustrations. They then contacted the service manager, Godfrey, who called me at work to let me know that Subaru Canada is looking into a fix for the problem. He will hopefully have an answer for me soon.

The frustrating part is that I have to put up with the fan buzzing away until they come up with a fix for the problem. I find that the fan is causing the idle to be rough and my gas mileage has decreased for some reason. Went from 12.0/100 KM to 13.8/100 KM. Strange?

looks like SOC is finally getting serious about fixing the problem

or it could be the ecus are piling up so high they're tripping

over them

Don Docksteader had a new ECU on order for me, but they got a call from Subaru Canada telling them to cancel the order.

They told the Service Manager that a new ECU will not permanently fix the problem and they don't want to spend $1600 on a temporary fix.

I have emailed Subaru Canada to let them know my frustrations. They then contacted the service manager, Godfrey, who called me at work to let me know that Subaru Canada is looking into a fix for the problem. He will hopefully have an answer for me soon.

The frustrating part is that I have to put up with the fan buzzing away until they come up with a fix for the problem. I find that the fan is causing the idle to be rough and my gas mileage has decreased for some reason. Went from 12.0/100 KM to 13.8/100 KM. Strange?

The issue with Lemon Law here is that the instances are too far appart for it to qualify. I wish it wasn't so... This fan issue is so increadibly annoying.

I haven't taken mine and have lived with the noise for 10000 miles already.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I got a call directly from Subaru Canada yesterday afternoon telling me that they have been told a new relay is on the way that will resolve the problem permanently. Should be at my dealership in 1 to 2 weeks.

I'm not holding my breath that this will resolve the fan problem, but I hope so.

You realize your fuel mileage drops with the fan stuck on, right?

Fuel mileage should get better. The fans act like the prop on an airplane and pull the car through the air, so the engine doesn't have to work as hard. :icon_bigg

It is still ugly.

hahahaha, that's pretty funny.

Trust me, Im sure there are some negatives to this other than the worst noise..

but the issue is... I don't want to take my car to the dealer so they can: a. be asses about my mods. b. trash around my test on a test drive of some sort. c. waste my time since its gonna come back anyways.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I would think that eventually the fans would burn out sooner from running all the time. So then either the engine overheats because you don't realize the fans have stopped working or they get hot, start a fire and the whole car burns to the ground.
It is still ugly.

out of the blue, a few days ago my damn fan runs like crazy... and loud. it first turns on when the car reaches temp and then just stays on... wth! it's going in during the week of the 4th for breaks, squeeking noise when making a right turn and now this fan crap. What a gem this car is...

I seem to have the opposite problem. In this 102+ heat in Sacramento, the car's temp gauge slowly climbs towards (but not reaching) the red zone. It gets a hair above the higher "tick" mark. The smart ECU realizes the car is getting hot and stops engaging the AC compressor and then blows hot air on me and my customer. $30K car that cant take the heat???? It only was doing this in stop and go, once I got some speed up the air going thru the radiator would get the temp back down. Got home tonight and revved the engine in the driveway until it was again hot and cutting out the AC and lo-and-behold the secondary fan (on the drivers side) wasn't spinning at all. What temp is that fan supposed to come on? I am sure the ECU triggers the relay for this to happen at a certain temp, so either the ECU or the relay or the fan (not likely) is broken.

ANybody have the same issue. Again, $30K for a car that overheats in 102 temps. What do folks in AZ do????

when I talked with the tech when scheduling the appt he mentioned having to replace some relay things to correct the fan issue. You may have the same issue only different symptoms... Take it to the dealer.

Great, I have an appointment at 2:30 pm today to replace the relay with the one that's supposed to fix the problem. The relay was sent out to all the dealers by Subaru Canada as a fix for the cooling fan problem.

It better work because I have been putting up with this for over a month now.

I seem to have the opposite problem. In this 102+ heat in Sacramento, the car's temp gauge slowly climbs towards (but not reaching) the red zone. It gets a hair above the higher "tick" mark. The smart ECU realizes the car is getting hot and stops engaging the AC compressor and then blows hot air on me and my customer. $30K car that cant take the heat???? It only was doing this in stop and go, once I got some speed up the air going thru the radiator would get the temp back down. Got home tonight and revved the engine in the driveway until it was again hot and cutting out the AC and lo-and-behold the secondary fan (on the drivers side) wasn't spinning at all. What temp is that fan supposed to come on? I am sure the ECU triggers the relay for this to happen at a certain temp, so either the ECU or the relay or the fan (not likely) is broken.

ANybody have the same issue. Again, $30K for a car that overheats in 102 temps. What do folks in AZ do????

I think you need to take your car in, I have been driving in 110+ heat with my AC on .. even in stop and go traffic and my needle doesn't move.

Archived