LegacyGT.com

Our keys are chipped, yes?

I'm just checking to see if our keys are chipped. If I made a copy of my key then the copy wouldn't start the car, right? It looks like a chipped key, so I was just making sure.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I'd love to get an STi key like this and have that on a key ring somewhere.

http://www.hardcoretuning.com/ebay/57497FE000.jpg

That is a smooth looking key if you ask me.

edit: ohh..... man. Oh well. I guess I'll just live with a chipped key. That still is a cool key. I should buy it and put it on my key ring just as a blank. :lol:

OCDETAILS BLOG

I wish just wish I could buy a WRX remote :(

(with the less sensitive buttons)

I believe you can get the buttons fixed now. The dealership can replace the springs with tougher ones to make the remote not so sensetive.

I'm a lucky one and got the tougher springs already in my remote. It's almost too tough to get the thing to lock and unlock w/ my remote.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, yes the key is chipped, and from what I've heard, the signal is so weak, the ECU will only pick up the chip if the key is in the ignition (i.e. you can't permenantly embed your key/chip into the steering column somehow and have it all work).

From my understanding not all keys are chipped. Check your window sticker, if your car is equipped with the "Immobilizer" then it is. Also, if you check your owners manual there are drawings showing what the chipped keys for the Immobilizer system look like compared with the unchipped non-Immobilizer keys, if you don't have the sticker handy.

This is what it shows in the manual. There really isn't anyting identifying on the key itself. I guess the only way I would know is if I could remember if I got that extra tag that the imobilizer key has.

You say that it will be on the window sticker that was there when I bought the car? I have that in my glovebox. I'll have to check it and see what it says.

keys.gif.4f056994dce9706eac4157d2940edcc3.gif

OCDETAILS BLOG

Can you get a key blank and choose to have it either milled or laser cut? Would the blank work both ways? I figured that laser cut keys would be thicker than normal keys and that is why they wouldn't work. If you could get a blank that works then that would be cool.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just remove the blank part of the key from the integrated FOB and replace it with the portion from the US version.

My guess though is that the US and Japan have dif't frequencies for the keyless entry, and Subaru just went the cheap/easy route and built an external FOB.

This is what it shows in the manual. There really isn't anyting identifying on the key itself. I guess the only way I would know is if I could remember if I got that extra tag that the imobilizer key has.

You say that it will be on the window sticker that was there when I bought the car? I have that in my glovebox. I'll have to check it and see what it says.

Cool, that's the pic I was talking about. The master is the same for both systems, but the submaster and valet are different, I suppose to accomodate the chip, so check the whole key set. I do remember seeing the Immobilizer on my sticker, so it should be there. Now that I think about it, I don't think it was in the options section, so waht someone else said about it being standard on the GT but not on the 2.5i might be correct. Strangely, the Immobilizer is listed as "not available" for the 2.5GT sedan in my brochure. which is obviously not correct. They also say the digital dual-zone CC isn't available in the non-limited as well, also incorrect.

Well, my three keys all look the same except for the valet key doesn't have the metal trim or logo on it. My window sticker doesn't say anything about the immobolizer and I do have both tags shown in the graphic. I guess the only way to know for sure is to call the dealership. My guess is that I have one and I'm SOL if I want that STi key... darn.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 4 months later...

i had a copy made at my local home depot just to try it...

unlocks the car but the engine cuts off before starting up.

is there a way to make it work? i really like the sti blank.... im thinking there should be some way to rewire the car so it will start without a chip... or possible removing the chip from the stock key and somehow fitting it onto the sti blank.... or taking the chip out and taping it on the underside of the steering wheel--- kinda crude but....

any thoughts?

Archived