LegacyGT.com

Shifting Question!

EvilCamaroSS

Alright, I am not very familiar with electronically controlled throttlebodys. I just picked up my 2005 LGT limited 5MT on sunday, on monday I tried to shift quickly from 1st to 2nd and it bogged down when shifting between the gears. If wait like .5 - 1 sec between the shift it does not bog, but if i try to shift quick to take off fast in 2nd gear it boggs down first. is this normal? and if it is how the hell do i change it. lol

i have never driven a car without a throttle cable, but when i drive my camaro (400+ rwhp) i just rev it out to 6,500 and very quickly shift it down to 2nd and pop the clutch and it takes off like a rocket, but when i shift near redline or at it on the LGT it boggs down for a sec then takes off almost like it has to re-spool the turbo. and if i shift it real real fast it grinds 2nd gear. I am still covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper (i think) and the 5/60 powertrain, should i take it to subaru?

Alright, I am not very familiar with electronically controlled throttlebodys. I just picked up my 2005 LGT limited 5MT on sunday, on monday I tried to shift quickly from 1st to 2nd and it bogged down when shifting between the gears. If wait like .5 - 1 sec between the shift it does not bog, but if i try to shift quick to take off fast in 2nd gear it boggs down first. is this normal? and if it is how the hell do i change it. lol

A 4-cyl AWD car is going to be quite different than your torque monster Camaro. The problem isn't the electronic throttle; try getting back on the gas sooner. I found that this keeps the car from bogging between gears. Even though my car's an NA, I think the same technique would apply to the turbo.

Does this sound accurate?

The clutch's position is a bit on the high side, but I doubt it's adjustable -- it might take some getting used to. What you said about staying on the gas a bit between shifts so the RPMs don't drop sounds right on.

It could be the BPV releasing all the boost when you close the throttle, then when you open it again, it needs a moment to build boost back up through the intake and intercooler. Keeping the throttle open won't "purge" all of the boost through the BPV, and you'll have some left over for when you engage 2nd gear.

If that makes any sense...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting find here, The dealership told me that i cant shift that fast or i'll void the warranty and that the gear box cant take that, when i mentioned that it was the same tranny as the wrx he told me they do the same thing, fall on their face when shifting hard. I half expectecd the dealer would flake out on me, so the real inbteresting thing happend on the way to the dealer.

It was a cold NY morning. temperature at about 58-60 degrees i get in my car let it warm up for a min or two and take off. i test my problem. floor it till 6K and shift, car just took off like a rocket in 2nd gear, didn't fall on it's face, just grabbed and went. how can we explain this? it's gotta have something to do with running rich or lean, maybe the car is leaning out?

I think you may be experiencing a form of the legendary 'stutter' issue. I have an '09 LGT 5EAT and right after shifting to 2nd I get a bit of a hesitation.

Well, one day I was driving along, the car was warmed up (45 miles of driving) and I accelerated at about 60-80% throttle, it began stuttering in first and then when it shifted to second, HUGE lurch. It felt as if I were driving a MT and someone was rapidly pressing the clutch in and out. The engine made this "rrr r rr rrrrrrrr...." sound and the resumed normal operation.

At first I thought I had a lemon or something, but I believe it is due to the fuel cut issue. To my understanding, Subaru, (for emissions and safety) has these cars essentially "de-tuned" to such a degree, that the emergency-do-not-go-above-performance-level actually intersects the normal operation curve.

Although the stutter in my car occurs 99.9% of the time, this HUGE stutter has only occured once.

As far as I know, upgrading to a Cobb Stage 1 or 2 map will reduce this dramatically. Just a thought.

Ps: I posted about this issue in another thread which can be found here.

...or demand that they pay you $600 to get an access port and go to stage 1.

On a more serious note though, you might want to check into going to stage 1. From what I hear, it is really simple and the power gain is worth it. Additionally, people seem to comment that it smooths out the acceleration dramatically. I would be very interested in your results... one way or another...

In the meantime, definitely ask them about a flash.

Ap stage 1 fixed a lot of the throttle issues in this car. And it's quite a bit faster.

However, i suspect part of the issue you're having is simply getting sued to teh clutch.

The clutch on this car provides little feedback and is difficult to master. Once you do, it's quite a bit easier. Took me mor ethan a few miles to figure out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived