LegacyGT.com

Manual Climate Control help needed ASAP (car apart- need help to reassemble!)

phenryiv1

I was installing my HU this afternoon and got everything out. THe CC cable was a PITA and I finally left it attached, but before I got the HVAC controls seperated from the radio and fascia witout disconnecting the cable, I tried to remove the cable from the post. For any of you who have done the install, this will make sense. For the rest of you, I still could use clarification.

When I went to remove the "O" fitting at the end of the cable from the white post, I could not get it off, but I DID get the blue cable out of the clip, and I did get the "stop" at the end of the blue sleeve out of the cradle where it rests.

I snapped the blue sleeve back into the clip, but now the temp control will not turn all of the way to the COLD position. I can push it to the end of the range of motion, but it rebounds. I cannot remember whether the very end of the dial on the COLD side has a detent or stop that is a bit more firm than the rest of the range of adjustment. When you turn the dial all of the way counterclockwise, does it have more resistance right before going all of the way to the coldest setting?

I can go under the dash and get it to snap all of the way to full cold, but then the dial is very hard to dial clockwise, and once it gets out of the full COLD position, it won't go all the way back to cold. It seems like if I don't snap the blue sleeve into the clip, I have full range of motion, but I dont know if leaving it unclipped will allow it to function properly. Did anyone else have this problem?

Did this happen to anyone else?

:lol: i can see people helping you with that kind of attitude.

Hence my disclaimer "not trying to be smart."

Maybe it is just me, but if I saw a question like that and I did not know the answer off of the top of my head, I'd walk to the garage, check, and help the guy out.

I understand that the viewers might be GT or DCC owners, but I was venting. 150-200 installs in my life and nothing like this has ever happened. I am mad at the car. I cannot put it back together without that little peice of guidance. Crutchfield has no clue whether the last detent on the Legacy has a stiffer "click" or not, and I cannot remember. The only person who can help me is another manual HVAC owner.

you might post something in the N/A section as well. it might get some attention too.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Guest heightsgtltd

People are usually really helpful, you might want to post in the NA forum specifically.

There are plenty of members there who might not see this thread

I've taken my CC cable on and off a few times and I've had no problems with its range of motion. I have not had any rebounding with the knob (I've had it on an Accord, so I know what you're talking about), so I'm not exactly sure why it would be doing that. To get the metal eye off the white plastic piece, you need to move the control all the way to one side, although I can't remember if it's the hot or cold side, but there is actually a little springy piece that holds the metal clip in, so it can't slide off. You need to push that in, then slide it off. I've attached a picture that can show you better hopefully (this is from a free manual of how to install satellite radio).

If you remove the blue housing from the clip, then you will simply move the housing around the cable, allowing the white lever to stay in place and not actually control the temperature. Think of it like a bicycle brake or shifter. The housing needs to stay in place while the cable moves through it. Same design.

I would try to completely remove the metal clip from the white lever, then move the knob back and forth to ensure the cable moves freely. If it doesn't, the cable may have been kinked in the housing, not allowing for the cable to move at all, and that's why it's rebounding. If it does move freely, I would reinstall it and see if it works. If it doesn't, maybe the lever is getting stuck. If that's true, I'm not sure I could help you. Hope this helps you out.

1018888901_removeCCclip.JPG.005f4a088a4b44eaf36be1ceaeda66cc.JPG

So I finally figured it out, after 2 hours of laying with my head under the dash. I even took pictures of the cause and resolution (however I have not loaded them from my camera).

The white post that holds the "O" fitting and cable is attached to a dogleg lever. At the far end is a similar post which comes off of the back side. That post fits in a groove in a plastic half-circle that actually controls the temperature. In trying to remove the "O" ring, I had inadvertantly pulled the back post out of the slot. The resistance I was feeling was the post pressing on the half-circular peice of plastic. It was very hard to see due to the steering mechanism and the underdash supports. Using a mirror and a flashlight, I was able to see where the post was out of the gorrove and I used a long-handled flathead to work it back in position. All went well from there. I will post pics of the problem and resolution, for reference's sake.

Just in case people search and need the same information, the last detent on the cold or hot side do NOT feel any different from the rest of the rasnge of motion.

This post is in the correct location. To to OP... sometimes you need to be patient.

Sorry... but we cannot control who view and who responds....

Totally understand. Like I said- I was very frustrated at the time, as I had no HVAC and it was supposed to rain heavily all day today, so I would need some form of temp control. As noted above, I finally figured it out.

Pictures of the problem area:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/Stereo051308001.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/Stereo051308002.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/Stereo051308003.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/Stereo051308004.jpg

"]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

im having a problem with mine.

the cold side of the knob wont go all the way down, it rebounds up a little bit.

i also dont have hot air that blows out, it just blows cold.

any help would be good, and hopefully i dont have to rip everything apart again (but i have a feeling i will have to)

If you are getting the rebound, then it is likely that the loop came off of the post. I was able to fix mine from under the dash without taking everything out again.

u talking about where the blue ccc goes into with the "o" ring ???

i know the "o" ring is connected, but im not sure uf the actuator is still connected. how do i check that, and or fix it ??? (do i have to remove everything again ???)

u talking about where the blue ccc goes into with the "o" ring ???

i know the "o" ring is connected, but im not sure uf the actuator is still connected. how do i check that, and or fix it ??? (do i have to remove everything again ???)

You can see the actuator from under the dash. You do not need to pull the stereo and dash again. If it is out, you can also reposition the post in the "D"-shaped ring without pulling the stereo.

Check my posts and pictures on page 1 for more info.

Actually the reason I got the rebound was because the post on the other side of the cable/post was out of groove. If you take a mirror and look up under the dash from the floor u can see using the mirror the post is out of groove on the other side. Pop it back in gently and you should be getting heat again.

Hope that helps.

hmmm ... now that i think about it ...

u know hows theres the metal clamp that hold the cable in place (it sit vertically), well above that where the little round thing clips in (horizontally)... that little clip that sits on top where the round thing sits broke off ...

im wondering if thats causing the rebound and heat problems ?!?!?!

i can move the controls freely, except when i try to put in on the coldest setting i get rebound. when i put it on heat, hot air doesnt blow out and im pretty sure i lost defrost from that.

Archived