LegacyGT.com

Engine Overheated Once

After my 30,000 mile service disaster and all of the steps I have taken to resolve this with the dealership, the Better Business Bureau is offering a legally binding arbitration.

Before I accept, I was hoping to get some input on whether I can actually make a valid claim against the dealership.

The facts (see above link for details):

-Tech. put coolant in the wrong reservoir.

-Engine overheated on my way home after service.

-Brought car back immediately, tech repeated the mistake.

-Drove car home. Realized there was no coolant, no power steering fluid, directional tires were backwards, no washer fluid, one valve stem cap was missing.

-Mistakes were corrected

-Refund was offered only if I considered the matter resolved

-Tech. was fired, service manager was eventually fired

-There is no obvious damage to the car (I have driven 3,000 miles since the service)

-I notice a slight burning smell occasionally, but the coolant level is only 1 inch lower than the fill line.

-The vehicle has not been inspected since the service

What would be a reasonable request?

Agree....Subaru has the capability to extend your motor's warranty to 100k/7 years (a standard offering) for, in my eyes, a minimal charge on their part.

If they are confident the car is not damaged, that is a reasonable offer in my eyes.

Just my .02

Joe

P.s. Get the warranty, then dump the car. :)

Agree....Subaru has the capability to extend your motor's warranty to 100k/7 years (a standard offering) for, in my eyes, a minimal charge on their part.

P.s. Get the warranty, then dump the car. :)

I already have a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty. I wasn't planning to sell the car until 2012 (I bought it in 2005) and I don't want to start paying for another car again now.

I already have a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty. I wasn't planning to sell the car until 2012 (I bought it in 2005) and I don't want to start paying for another car again now.

I would make sure it is an all inclusive 7/100 warranty (i.e.- get rid of the disclaimers) or have them bump the coverage to bumper-to-bumper. Good luck.

After I submitted my complaint to the Better Business Bureau, the general manager responded by saying the vehicle is fine and he considers this resolved. I reminded him of the incident in my response and this is his reply:

This is in regards to our conversation concerning *MangoGT*. Mr. *MangoGT* had his 2005 Subaru Legacy in our Service Department and our technician failed to fill his second coolant reservoir. As Mr. *MangoGT* proceeded to leave the dealership he stated that he could smell some kind of order, like something was burning. He returned and we filled the coolant properly, retested and drove the vehicle. Mr. *MangoGT* took the vehicle home and there was a vacuum line that used some of the coolant. So it did show low when he checked it. He returned to the dealership for us to fill the coolant reservoir to the proper level. We again checked the motor for any problems and there were none found. Mr. *MangoGT* took his vehicle and went on an extensive trip to Pennsylvania and at his resolution he stated there were no problems on his trip and that the vehicle was fine at the time. I offered Mr. *MangoGT* a full refund for his service in which he would not accept. *Dealership* is still willing to refund the $428.21 that he originally paid for service. *Dealership* considers this matter resolved at this time.

There are more than a few inaccuracies with that, but oh well. The guy is one of the sleaziest people I've ever met. He offered a full refund, I declined and said that I would take it when the matter was resolved completely. He called my cell phone in January and said he wants to give me the refund but I have to agree that I will not pursue other action. Citibank has refunded the cost of the original service.

Refund for the service has been offered? So what are you hoping for?

How bad did it overheat? Did it quit from overheating, or did you shut off the engine while the needle was still within the range of the temp gauge?

Refund for the service has been offered? So what are you hoping for?

How bad did it overheat? Did it quit from overheating, or did you shut off the engine while the needle was still within the range of the temp gauge?

An unconditional refund would be great. I am hoping for some protection if anything happens in the future as a result of this.

It overheated as in the temperature gauge was on the red for a couple of miles. Smoke was pouring out all over the place (and into the cabin), I lost power, and the idle was really rough. I made it back to the dealership, though.

You're supposed to quit driving when the temp is in the red, no matter how badly you need to make it to your destination.

I love how they "consider the matter resolved" so therefore it is so -- like they're the Wizard of Oz.

You're supposed to quit driving when the temp is in the red, no matter how badly you need to make it to your destination.

Yeah, I know. I was operating under the pretense that this was "normal" and the service rep. at the dealership was hesitant to have me bring it back (it was 6 p.m. on a Friday evening). He said it is "normal" and probably just grease burning off of the engine. :rolleyes:

If the engine suffered power loss from driving too hot then it needs to be examined. That's the preignition/detonation caused by excess heat causing the fuel/air to burn before the spark, slowing down the rising piston and thereby reducing power. Did they do any actual testing to determine if the engine is ok, or are they just saying "It sounds ok"?

Are they offering you a refund in exchange for a release of liability? No release of liability should be considered unless the engine passes a thorough independent inspection.

I'd ask for them to refund half of the cost of the service (the other parts of the service were done ok, right?) in exchange for a comprehensive inspection to ensure that no damage occured. This work should be done by a different subaru dealership.

Items to examine:

- Pressure test the cooling system to ensure there are no leaks caused by potential warping of the engine components due to varied expansion rates of different metals. You should have gotten new hoses, not trusted the overheated hoses.

- Examine the tops of the pistons and the bores to ensure that no damage was done by preignition/detonation. They can use a borescope or pull the heads, either way.

- Recheck the torque of the head bolts to ensure that the overheating heads didn't back them out. If out of spec then replace them with new head bolts.

- A written promise that the cooling system, head gaskets and warped heads will be covered to the end of the existing 100k mile warranty, even if not already covered. Consumables excepted, of course.

That would seem to me to be fair. You're not looking to make a profit by getting warranty concessions unrelated to the engine (ie bumper-to-bumper for 100k). You are simply asking to be made whole, and enough of an analysis to ensure that no damage is done. You can't accept 'sounds good' from the dealer because they have a conflict of interest.

Ok...I see some more info has been presented.

You've got a powertrain warranty for up to 7 years, 100k. I'd make sure that includes your cooling system and other auxiliaries related to overheating.

If you don't already have a copy of such a test, make sure you have a copy of a coolant system pressure test, compression test, and/or leak-down test.

You've gotten a full refund, that's good.

This is just a sucky situation and I can tell you aren't looking to profit off of it. Just make sure your car is covered, you don't have any out of pocket expenses, and that you have copies of the tests they performed at this time.

If you don't have copies and they perform such tests and they are not within spec, have them replace whatever needs to be replaced and make sure the new parts are within your full 7/100 warranty.

Joe

That smell will never be gone. We had a 2000 AT wagon and it was pretty loaded, hauling all the beer and food for a motorcycle event; from Reno to Yosemite, over the Sierras. Pulled over as soon as the overtemp light kicked on, while waiting for a pilot car in road construction. Never had any real trouble but that smell was there every summer day, especially. The dealer drained and refilled the fluids. We decided it was probably coming from the seals, too.

If the engine suffered power loss from driving too hot then it needs to be examined. That's the preignition/detonation caused by excess heat causing the fuel/air to burn before the spark, slowing down the rising piston and thereby reducing power. Did they do any actual testing to determine if the engine is ok, or are they just saying "It sounds ok"?

Are they offering you a refund in exchange for a release of liability? No release of liability should be considered unless the engine passes a thorough independent inspection.

I'd ask for them to refund half of the cost of the service (the other parts of the service were done ok, right?) in exchange for a comprehensive inspection to ensure that no damage occured. This work should be done by a different subaru dealership.

Yes, they want to give me a refund in exchange for a release of liability.

Thanks for the list of specific requests. Through all of my complaints (Better Business Bureau, Attorney General), all I've asked for is an independent inspection of the power train, and a detailed physical inspection of the engine. They don't want to cough up the money for it, especially since there is always the possibility that something is damaged.

Ok...I see some more info has been presented. You've got a powertrain warranty for up to 7 years, 100k. I'd make sure that includes your cooling system and other auxiliaries related to overheating.

I paid for the 7-year/100,000 mile warranty when I bought the car. The dealership shouldn't benefit from that, even if it does completely cover the engine.

If you don't already have a copy of such a test, make sure you have a copy of a coolant system pressure test, compression test, and/or leak-down test.

They did a combustion leak test using a dye kit, but that is it. As I understand it, that is too superficial to give me any useful information. I definitely want a coolant pressure test along with all of the tests that Scruit recommended.

You've gotten a full refund, that's good.

I've had to send two sets of detailed documentation to Citibank to get it. The dealership wouldn't offer an unconditional refund.

Thanks for all of the advice. Keep it coming.

If they won't pay for an independent inspection, consider paying for that yourself. If nothing is found, tell the dealership you'll accept the terms of their refund, if they pay for the inspection.

If further damage is found, tell your dealership that you'll accept the terms of their refund if they address whatever issues are found. Insist on being present to observe the repairs.

They declined the offer for arbitration. The best I can do is accepting the check and considering the matter "resolved". I am yet to receive any documentation of the incident.

Lawyer time, again.

Archived