LegacyGT.com

Help me decide: Tail lights

scoobydoobie

Well the chrome strips in the tails on my 05' sedan are starting to annoy me. I like the look of the "smoked" taillights a lot of you have. Problem is I can't decide between the jinsu-power.com's "solid clear lamp overlay" or their "stack oval overlay". Also the Lamin-X film is an option too.

So please post a pic of what you have to help me make my decision:D.

Also what is easiest to install or remove the overlays like jinsu-power sells or the Lamin-X film? And those of you with "smoke" over your reverse light, any problem seeing/backing up at night?

solid clear

http://www.jinsu-power.com/images/subaru/legacy/exterior/05LegacySolidClear.jpg

stacked oval

http://www.jinsu-power.com/images/subaru/legacy/exterior/05legacytailStackOvalClear.jpg

Thanks in advance for any pictures/advice!!

I would go with the solid clear personally, infact I've considered it but I dont want to pay that kind money for a film. I think japanparts sells a "stock" tinted tail that was interesting.. but you're paying even more.. the benefit is you gain an amber turn signal that people wont mistake for a brake light.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I would go with the solid clear personally, infact I've considered it but I dont want to pay that kind money for a film. .

This is me. not only that but then you have to pay 10 bucks for shipping for a piece of film. I would like to have them but i am not going to get ripped off.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

bump for some pics.

The point of this thread is not for us to debate or discuss whether we think these overlays or films are cost effective. The idea was to get a centralized thread with everyones pictures of their "smoked" tail lights to help me and others decide on what we think looks best.

hate to break the news to you but the cost of a part can help make a decision. You mentioned nothing in your original post about others. your were wanting someone to help you make a decision. If you dont want peoples opinions then state that in your thread.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

So please post a pic of what you have to help me make my decision:D.

Obviously cost will affect people's decisions with practically anything you can buy. All I am saying is that the point of this thread is not to debate cost, but to see what others have installed. That way I, and others, can see which look we like best without searching through countless threads to find different pictures. In the first post, I don't recall saying anything about not wanting to spend $62 on overlays. If you or others don't want to spend it or like the idea of spending that much, that's great, don't do it, your entitled to your own opinion. That's just not what the purpose of this thread is.

Now, where's da pics? :spin::D

well EXCUSE ME! :lol:

sorry, wish I could help.

perhaps a mod could change the topic to post tinted tails here or something that would help attract more customers. I agree a stickied taillights thread is a good idea, much like stickied rims threads and headlight clearing threads. This is something I think a lot of people are thinking about.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

well EXCUSE ME! :lol:

sorry, wish I could help.

perhaps a mod could change the topic to post tinted tails here or something that would help attract more customers. I agree a stickied taillights thread is a good idea, much like stickied rims threads and headlight clearing threads. This is something I think a lot of people are thinking about.

I agree. I guess this thread isn't really working out the way I'd hoped it would. Maybe a mod can delete this and someone could start "the official let me see what you did with your tailights thread"!?! :)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/My%20Legacy/119.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/My%20Legacy/113.jpg

I went for the stacked oval and reverse cut outs because as much as i love the tailights tinted, it's always a good idea to insure i don't loose much light output.

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

• 3 weeks later...
Last month I went on the web page to order the stacked oval overlay. I paid by paypal but I never received the item, now I am filing a claim with my credit card company... not happy... I don't even want the item now.

damn, that's no good. thanks for the heads up, I was just going to order a set of these. I wonder what the deal is?

And those of you with "smoke" over your reverse light, any problem seeing/backing up at night?

I think a bigger and more important question is how much does the tint reduce the visibility of your brake lights to the cars behind you. Me personally I hate anything anyone does that reduces this type of communication between their car and my eyeballs.

It is still ugly.

I've seen a lot of variations of this in person, normally on trucks cos you know.. west georgia... trucks are more of a status symbol than how big the trailer you live in is. :lol: But even the ones that are VERY dark still light up pretty good from dead on. I wouldn't worry about that much on these unless you drive in bumper to bumper traffic with a lot of absent minded people who look around while driving.

on that note however, I am basing this on photos of this compared with in person of vehicles with darker tint... so what I say can be taken with a grain of salt...

I can't say anything about the solid smoked, but from personal experience with the "ovals," I can say that from "dead-on," brightness isn't too much affected. The holes really do help, particularly in the all-important scenario of the brake lamp engagement as well as turn-signal/hazards.

Off-axis, yes, there's some decrease in light output, but again, once you hit the brakes (engaging the high-burn element in the 7443 setup) or the turn signal (7004 single element on/off), the light comes right through.

You can see this in the night-time comparison shots that I made with my wifey's '04 WRX sedan, with no tail-light modifications, in this post:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255198&postcount=87

For those of you who are interested, OCDetails also posted some shots of his LGT, with the "cleared stacked ovals" film on the left tail-light housing, and the unmodified on the right. It is in post #80 of that thread.

Hope this helps!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

thanks for this post/link. Especially helpful b/c you are ABP too. Doesn't look like the light output it too bad with these covers on.

Gasaraki, you ever find out what the deal is with your purchase?

I can't say anything about the solid smoked, but from personal experience with the "ovals," I can say that from "dead-on," brightness isn't too much affected. The holes really do help, particularly in the all-important scenario of the brake lamp engagement as well as turn-signal/hazards.

Off-axis, yes, there's some decrease in light output, but again, once you hit the brakes (engaging the high-burn element in the 7443 setup) or the turn signal (7004 single element on/off), the light comes right through.

You can see this in the night-time comparison shots that I made with my wifey's '04 WRX sedan, with no tail-light modifications, in this post:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255198&postcount=87

For those of you who are interested, OCDetails also posted some shots of his LGT, with the "cleared stacked ovals" film on the left tail-light housing, and the unmodified on the right. It is in post #80 of that thread.

Hope this helps!

remember also visibility for braking we have a 3rd light or for us with spoilers who havent removed the bulb in the back seat we have 2 extra brake lights... speaking of which im about to go remove the 3rd light inside...

That was quick. Anybody do anything cool with that space now that they arent using it as a 4th brake light? Like spray the lense black or install some other sort of light. I love thinking of mods that require no complex tools or items cause im stuck at school with no garage and almost no budget but I love tinkering with things

Archived