LegacyGT.com

2000 2.5 engine, interference or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and http://www.porcupine73.com/graemlins/welcome.gif

That would have the 2.5L sohc (phase II) engine. Yes that is a piston to valve interference engine per the Subaru interference engine list. The timing belt interval is 105 months or 105k miles. Time is an important factor on the timing belt too (not just mileage), since the belt can stretch and oxidize over the years.

Hi and http://www.porcupine73.com/graemlins/welcome.gif

That would have the 2.5L sohc (phase II) engine. Yes that is a piston to valve interference engine. The timing belt interval is 105 months or 105k miles.

^^correct. The 2.5L SOHC PII is an interference engine.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Uh, all 2.5's are interference. Most of the 2.2's as well.

And the 2000 was Phase 1 SOHC. Phase 2 is the EJ253, which was used in 2003 and newer. The EJ251 and 252 are phase 1.

There were also two phases of DOHC motor, the Phase 1 in 1996, and phase 2 in 1997-99.

erm..there is no such thing as a phase I 2.5L sohc. Phase I 2.5L's are dohc type with the potential exhaust blowing into coolant leak. Some people think the Subaru cooling system conditioner does not help at all with the Phase I leaks, though it does seem to help with the phase II peeping leaks.

Phase II 2.5L sohc started in '99 with some Impreza and Forester and in '00 with Legacy and Outback.

erm..there is no such thing as a phase I 2.5L sohc. Phase I 2.5L's are dohc type with the potential exhaust blowing into coolatnt leak.

Phase II 2.5L sohc started in '99 with some Impreza and Forester and in '00 with Legacy and Outback.

Oh, you're right, I'm thinking of the CR increase in 2003 as a Phase 2.5 motor. Blah.

erm..there is no such thing as a phase I 2.5L sohc. Phase I 2.5L's are dohc type with the potential exhaust blowing into coolatnt leak.

Again correct - April 1999 manufacturing date (U.S. builts) was the notional cutoff/introduction date for the PII engines.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived