LegacyGT.com

When is the legacy getting a new A/T?

Does anyone know when its gonna get a new autobox? i know the tribeca has a 5at, 4AT's are old technology (my 94 maxima has a 4AT) and 5 or 6 speeds will get better mileage. Heck, chevy is gonna stick a 6 speed on its I4 malibu real soon.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not so sure that they LGT would get the CVT. I can guarantee that the 2.5i will and it should definately benefit from it.

I find it odd that the Ford Focus has a 5 speed auto and the 2.5i's do not. But then the Civic si has a 6 speed and the WRX does not. I would be more inclined to buy a WRX if it had a friggin 6MT.

Carter, are you actually "praising" something about your car for once??? Ah, just razzin' you. :lol:

Go read my thread that no one has posted in (probably because everyone is sick of me :lol: ) My car ran really well tonight *knock on wood* I enjoyed it tonight.

Im not so sure that they LGT would get the CVT. I can guarantee that the 2.5i will and it should definately benefit from it.

I find it odd that the Ford Focus has a 5 speed auto and the 2.5i's do not. But then the Civic si has a 6 speed and the WRX does not. I would be more inclined to buy a WRX if it had a friggin 6MT.

mazda 3 has had a 5 speed for a while. mazda 6 has had a 6 speed i think even longer.

the civic has 6 gears cause it is a gutless wonder that relies on hp in the upper revs.

the porsche tt has a 5speed auto and does fine. merc's 5 speeds seem to have done well.

heard a rumor once that the last gen m5 was quicker in the 1/4 by skipping second. torque was enough to pull it through.

imo...they keep the 5eat in the "upper" cars to justify the price.

Jatco just released a new 7EAT which will replace the 5EAT found in Nissan/Subaru's.

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/show/2007/public/gallery/photo/80_030_Parts-N/img_s/WT1_0713.JPG

It's supposed to be out for the 09 G and FX.

Since Toyota bought part of Subaru, I'm not sure if they will continue on with Jatco as their tranny supplier though.

I agree that the 2.5i NEEDS the 5EAT... wouldn't it be easier for Subaru all this time to focus on one type of Auto tranny? They can handle the power of the engine when turboed, so that means they can probably last much longer on weaker engines.

I think it just seems silly, the car doesnt get mileage thats very good compared to something like a camry and i understand its because it has AWD but to compensate for the poor MPG they should be making 6speed auto's and 7 speed autos' etc. If they can get their mileage to 25-35 im sure many more civic/corolla/cavalier buyers would look at the impreza

I think it just seems silly, the car doesnt get mileage thats very good compared to something like a camry and i understand its because it has AWD but to compensate for the poor MPG they should be making 6speed auto's and 7 speed autos' etc. If they can get their mileage to 25-35 im sure many more civic/corolla/cavalier buyers would look at the impreza

i think you are missing something. beside you not knowing im using my blackjack at work on the can...

the 5ea final ratio is pretty good. the new one is even faster. thats all you are describng. extending the final ratio to a theroetical 200 mph isnt gonna matter too much imo. just wide ass gearing nd no accleration. something had to give. acceleration does not equal better mikeage and nevr will. you think the new m3 will be 20mpg in the city?

imo the highway mpg quoted by subaru was not false but dead on and some even do better. even while doing 80mph.

7 gears is too much imo. especially if it is a short ratio and our turbo has died out and there in no power. what is the point? i think a 6 woukd be prfect. the 3rd gea e have niw is loooooong. unlike the trash talking manual drivers. 1st gen 5eat 3rd tops out at 95 at shift. manual is what? 88? too much gearing and definitely not enough engine.

imo...makers are doing the ol more is better. our cars have well enough torque to run out the gears. not enough top end for more gears. the bmw m know how to do it. 7 speeds with crazy high redlines. i a positive 7 gears for us is useless without a better breathing long winded turbo.

back to your regularly scheduled program...

i think you are missing something. beside you not knowing im using my blackjack at work on the can...

the 5ea final ratio is pretty good. the new one is even faster. thats all you are describng. extending the final ratio to a theroetical 200 mph isnt gonna matter too much imo. just wide ass gearing nd no accleration. something had to give. acceleration does not equal better mikeage and nevr will. you think the new m3 will be 20mpg in the city?

imo the highway mpg quoted by subaru was not false but dead on and some even do better. even while doing 80mph.

7 gears is too much imo. especially if it is a short ratio and our turbo has died out and there in no power. what is the point? i think a 6 woukd be prfect. the 3rd gea e have niw is loooooong. unlike the trash talking manual drivers. 1st gen 5eat 3rd tops out at 95 at shift. manual is what? 88? too much gearing and definitely not enough engine.

imo...makers are doing the ol more is better. our cars have well enough torque to run out the gears. not enough top end for more gears. the bmw m know how to do it. 7 speeds with crazy high redlines. i a positive 7 gears for us is useless without a better breathing long winded turbo.

back to your regularly scheduled program...

you sir, have totally lost me. I don't understand a word you said. If you have 2 similar cars, one with a 4speed auto and one with a 6speed auto the 6 speed auto will get better mileage, im pretty sure about this.

proof?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050912/ai_n15668552

Chicago Sun times " With more gears, automakers are able to eke out improvements in fuel efficiency while advertising a sportier performance."

as far as your spiel about acceleration goes, i have no idea but i think it'd depend on the engine and at what rpm the most power is made.

Archived