LegacyGT.com

CD Changer Ate My CDs!

S4

Well, it happened to me tonight. I just burned a new CD, went out to my car which was cold and hadn't been driven all day, start it up and switch to CD. Then I press the button for the disc I'm going to eject (2) and I hear some cd-changer noises, then nothing. It switches back to FM and stays. Now, the CD button doesn't even change it to the CD player. Sometimes pressing eject causes 2 to blink like it is going to eject, but there's no noise at all and nothing happens. After one or two tries, it quits even acting like it. I pulled the fuse to the stereo to reset it, and still no luck.

Guess I have to take it in sometime this week.... :(

6500 miles, and the first warranty issue. At least it's minor.

Happened to me when I left it sitting upside down overnight when installing my sub.. the mechanism gets jammed and the I guess it just decides to never boot up if it can't run through the init. Just had to pull on it by hand.. Of course I had it out with the cover off :)

Bummer... does that mean it eats your CDs and you can't get them back out of the unit at all? Meaning, you'll never see those CDs again?

If so... it'd be worth having all burned CDs rather than the originals, just in case...

I don't know, but I NEVER use originals in the car, so they are all backups. I ocassionally put an original in on the way home from the store, but that is it. So, I just have to reburn 6 CDs...still...

The reason I don't leave originals is that I've had too many friends get their entire CD collection stolen. That'd suck.

My WRX ate my CD's once and the dealer had to order a new head unit. I never got my CD's back, but I know some other people who had this done by Subaru received their CD's back in the mail after a few weeks. I guess the dealer send it out to a repair facility. My problem was related to using a CD with a label on it, and there was a thread on this forum a few months back about an LGT owner who had his CD's eaten and it turns out he was using a labeled CD also. Never put a CD with an adhesive label on it in your changer.

I had no labels on the CDRs. I'm pretty sure there was one original in there too. The dealer said that if they couldn't get them out when they take the player out, then Subaru would probably send them to me.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I've heard they don't even try to take them out and your CD's are as good as gone. This is why if it happens to mine, I'll take it apart and get them out, then take it to the stealer.

that is not true. you will need to go in so they can check it out and order a replacement for you. dealer will replace your cd player, send the broken one back to get it fix. after a few weeks the factory either clarion or panisonic(suabrus use these two brands) will return the cd they took out back to the dealer. then its up to the dealer to call you to let you know the cds are back. this happens all the time, cause that is how we do the claim in our dealership.

hope this info help

mike

ps: try not to take the cd out yourself , then subaru can deny you of warranty work since they can tell if the cd player has been tamper with. then you will be stuck of buy a new player for the car which is probably close to a grand in total. 05 cd player is very different, face plate and the unit itself is two seperate piece.

Update: I did get my replacement player in, and everything is working fine. They said that they couldn't get the CDs out (I don't know if they really tried or not), but what would happen is that when the player is taken apart to be repaired, they would get the discs sent back to them. They said they'd expect them to be returned in about 5-6 weeks and if I didn't hear from them by then, to call them.

just happen to me :(

6 cds in it..

nothing work anymore.. like !S4..

I read somewhere that if on startup if a function does not report as "ready", then that function is just not available. That's why pressing CD doesn't do anything at all.

Yououoou.. good news..

I have decided to remove it for the last time.. Since I was having in mind that probably the cd was jam... I remove the radio (for the 6 time app).. but this time, I have decided to give the "ultime last ressort all arround fix solution" I hit the s** of bi***.. replug.. dont work.. Again.. replug.. bling bling.. CD goes on.. I heard all the system .. eject all the 6 CD. and everything works now.. ;)

Lucky day I guess. lol..

;)

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com

• 1 year later...
Same thing is happening to me, cds won't eject and after awhile the CD player function is not selectable at all.

I have jazzy's mod currently installed, any ideas?

That's not good. It'd really suck if you had to pay for a whole new OEM unit because the warranty is void due to mods AND maybe not get your CDs back in the process.

• 3 years later...
CD player will not even go into CD mode. It has a CD in the player. New head unit en route. They said it would be here in a couple of days. My unit goes to Southern California for "CD Extraction". They said they would mail the CD to me in about a month.

my cd changer died because of a loose battery cable, caused by terminal corrosion . the car died and came back, then,, the unit was toast. i took my cd's out myself which involved destroying the unit.

i have an older LegacyGT, so i went aftermarket stereo w/ a USB port. it has a cd player too, but i hardly use it.

mp3's FTW!

• 1 month later...

Mine bugged out on me last week. I could use the Jazzy mod for my Ipod but I couldn't adjust the volume and I had no display on the radio. My HVAC display was jacked up too and unuseable. I got no resonse when I adjusted anything.

I took the mod out and everything is fine but only one CD slot works. The rest don't because all i hear is the eye trying to read the disc. This was the original problem I had which made me want to get the Jazzy Mod in the first place. I think I'll try to get an '07 HU or a refabbed '05 ad not run the JM. It was fine for a year or so.

My '03 Cobra ate CDs a couple of times. Once I got the unit replace and another time CD 6 got stuck and stayed in there for a year. One day I got a coffee at Caribou and I came back out and the CD ejected itself.

• 2 years later...
^^Same thing happened to me a couple of months back with my 05 stock radio. Changed out to a 203uh from an 07 I believe. Worked fine for about two months, now his morning the same thing all over. CD button does not work and I cannot eject any cd's.

Archived