LegacyGT.com

Ignition key red light blinks???

I did a little searching for this but could not find an answer to it. Does anyone else’s red light around the ignition switch blink while the car is running? I just noticed it after I picked up my car for some service yesterday. They had to replace the computer due to a service bulletin. Oddly enough, now my spare key will not start the car. Sorry if this is a repeat question. 2005 LGT Wagon.

I had my ECM replaced for the fan issue. They had me bring in all my keys, said they each have to be registered with the new computer. Did they have you bring in yours? If so they probably just forgot to do it.

The light just sounds like loose wire somewhere.

• 2 months later...

Well I got tired of the dealer not knowing why the light blinks, so I finally just yanked the wire from the light on the ignition switch. I did shoot the wire and it is receiving a 12volt pulsing signal. Oh well, now it wont bug me at night.

If anyone is still following this thread,can you tell me if the light is always on when the key is in the run position? Thanks, Tom

I think the ring is illuminated with the interior lights when the car isn't running. At least mine appear to be. Not an educated guess of any kind.

Get in the car, open the door and the ring is illuminated. Upon leaving the car, the light stays on until the interior lights dim off.

By the way, after 3 replacement ECU's by the dealer, I stopped caring and pulled the wire. I won't get into their inability to get rid of CEL P0420 or to fix my not so cold A/C. I work on aircraft, I know how to troubleshoot. These guys work on cars, are they not taught how to troubleshoot???

They don't troubleshoot, only replace parts until the problem is gone. Plus all the information they would need is on a need to know basis and the car manufacturers tend to think they don't need to know. Though, aircraft manufacturers are the same way too in my experience.

By the way, after 3 replacement ECU's by the dealer, I stopped caring and pulled the wire. I won't get into their inability to get rid of CEL P0420 or to fix my not so cold A/C. I work on aircraft, I know how to troubleshoot. These guys work on cars, are they not taught how to troubleshoot???

Lol, yeah thats sad. all of those things should be fairly easy for any "TECH" to diagnose. well hf, if u can troublshoot aircraft wiring, u can definetley figure out a canbus lol.

Troubleshooting = Plugging in OBDII connector, turning on computer and reading code. Then check code and repair procedure in shop book. Proceed with repair according to book, do not think, do not make conjectures, do not deviate from book in anyway. Done.

Send happy owner (soon to be pissed owner) home with reoccurring problem. Count your change and call it a good day :D

Troubleshooting = Plugging in OBDII connector, turning on computer and reading code. Then check code and repair procedure in shop book. Proceed with repair according to book, do not think, do not make conjectures, do not deviate from book in anyway. Done.

Send happy owner (soon to be pissed owner) home with reoccurring problem. Count your change and call it a good day :D

Thats the problem with techs today, they dont verify the fix, and they dont really care if it is fixed.

Thats the problem with techs today, they dont verify the fix, and they dont really care if it is fixed.

That is so true. In the Air Force, If we get a repeat or reoccuring writeup, all hell rains down upon us until we can duplicate it and fix it. I would like to charge Subaru for my troubleshooting time.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Old bump.

Anyone know if the "red ring of death" is the actual Immobilizer or just a light source for key and/or BIU status? My LGT came w/o the ring installed, kinda makes the column covers not fit real well.

I can get used modules with the ring for like $35 shipped but if I can just get the illumination ring part off one with no key I may save a few $$$.

Heaven forbid if all their parts swapping and educated guesses don't fix the problem and there's an open or short inside the wiring harness. They'll never figure that out.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Archived