LegacyGT.com

$100 Factory Sirius Solution?

Ari_OutbackWagon

I may have an idea here people!

Looking at this picture, it seems you could just get the aftermarket Clarion SIRCL3 as pictured with the right BUS connection and it would work? I'm willing to be a guinea pig and give it a try if you guys think it'll work.

This one is $349 from subarupartsforyou.com:

http://subarupartsforyou.com/images/products/SIRIUS.jpg

The unit is only around $100 depending where you order it, however Crutchfield and some others seem to be out of stock. Tt looks like it used the same bus connection (but I'm not sure).

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2006/020/h020SiRCL3-f_dg.jpeg

ummm i used a alpine one on my car. The units themselves are awesome. But i used the alpine to a alpine iva-w200.

But thats my only input. The only thing i could see running issue would be the display for the siruis. Because with those units you need to be able to scan through names and such...but do it!

You see that extra pink connector on the right, pictured in "F" on the diagram. I wonder what that's for? Of course it is possible that subarupartsforyou.com just pictured a generic Subaru unit that maybe goes in the Impreza or some thing. Any other ideas? Is there a small BUS port like the one above on the back of the HU?

You can download the full mounting instructions here (scroll down to the 2008 Satellite Radio section): http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchFree.jsp?publication_type=12&text_keyword=&keyword=&free_pub=13. It looks like the '07+ cars come with an antenna wire running from behind the back of the headunit up to inside the map lights in the headliner. The connector F is a jumper cable to hook from the back of the headunit to the existing wire. The antenna unit then connects to the other end up in the headliner.

I doubt it will work. But am interested in checking. I am currently running a Stilleto with docking kit hardwired into the fuse box and the CleanSweep. If you're clever doing the wiring, you could probably snake a cable along the center console and hook it into the auxilary, or just use the FM modulation from the docking kit. You could do an option like this for I'm guessing about $340, $250 for Stilleto, $50 for docking kit, $40 for proclip and "y" type cable.

• 2 weeks later...
The Clarion Sirius unit definitley does not work. Different cables. I have one at home from the Clarion head unit I was running in my old Nissan. The CeNET cable has a different interface than the Subaru factory unit. I'm picking up my Subaru Sirius tuner today, so I will update with how that works. The Stiletto car dock just sucks and I'm tired of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know this isn't a $100 solution, but the '08 Sirius Kit will work with an '07. Don't know if it will work in a Spec B; however, the instructions don't say that it wont. I posted more info on it here with a quick walkthrough, Check out LGT Dave's post above and follow that link for the instructions. I have posted a quick walkthru anyway.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1467743#post1467743

• 1 month later...
Hey everybody, there is another of these units called the SIR-PAN1, which is designed to work with Panasonic head units. They are available for around $100, looks the same as this, but maybe a better chance of working since the subie head unit 07+ is a Panasonic. Anybody think this might work? I would pick one up and try, but being that my car is 1 day old, I am a little paranoid of tearing the dash apart to try this (I know, I am a baby!)

Hey everybody, there is another of these units called the SIR-PAN1, which is designed to work with Panasonic head units. They are available for around $100, looks the same as this, but maybe a better chance of working since the subie head unit 07+ is a Panasonic. Anybody think this might work? I would pick one up and try, but being that my car is 1 day old, I am a little paranoid of tearing the dash apart to try this (I know, I am a baby!)

SIR-PAN1 installation directions: http://www.sirius.com/pdf/manuals/SIR-PAN1-Install-Manual.pdf.

Unfortunately, the connector for the headunit wire on the SIR-PAN1 doesn't look anything like the connector on the back of the '07 HU. I don't think that one would work either.

give it a try and let us know :spin:

Archived