LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R or GT?

Skater

Having been a member of this fine message board since early 2006, (although I have very rarely spoke up and voiced my own opinion) I would like to ask for your help.

The lease of my 2005 GT Limited is up in a few months and I can’t decide on which new Legacy to purchase.

The choice is between either a 2008 Legacy 3.0R or an automatic 2008 GT Limited but with no Navigation. I don’t drive that far where I will need the navigation but it comes standard on the 3.0R.

I live out here in New England and my wife drives the car about 90% of the time.

We’re both in our early 50’s (Yeah, we’re old!) but I still like to do some spirited driving once in a while. My wife has no opinion on one or the other but she does like the Harvest Gold color that you can only get on the 3.0R.

I will not be modifying the car since I will be leasing it.

The difference in price between the 3.0R and the GT is not that much when you consider the 3.0R comes with an automatic transmission, Bilstein suspension, 18” wheels and navigation.

Help me out gentlemen. I trust your opinion.

Thanks,

Coach

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gitster

3.0R for you good sir.

You wont need the difference in power and the upgraded suspension will treat you well. I like that color as well.

3.0R for you good sir.

You wont need the difference in power and the upgraded suspension will treat you well. I like that color as well.

+1 bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

3.0R will handle a lil better and be a smoother engine

GT will have more power than you know what to do with, but it will be slow to come on.

Just test drive both and see which you like better

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Go with the 6, you won't be disapointed. Nav system has some neat features and the possibility of expansion being as it is a Kenwood (2k as option) but don't let this affect your decision. Wives will never have to ask for directions, very well done nav system and obviously you don't mind that you can only get the automatic with the 6.

Will it handle better? The Bilsteins are offset by a big, heavy 6 cylinder out front of the axle. What's that unit weigh compared to the 2.5 turbo?

Just drive both and see which you like more. Don't take our opinions. Our opinions are worth what you pay for them.

Will it handle better? The Bilsteins are offset by a big, heavy 6 cylinder out front of the axle. What's that unit weigh compared to the 2.5 turbo?

Just drive both and see which you like more. Don't take our opinions. Our opinions are worth what you pay for them.

mine are free you just have to ask (see avatar) :lol: bosco

you are correct though drive them both also premium or regular?

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I agree, go for the 3.0R....if you were determined to get a manual transmission, I'd be recommending the GT. However, from what I remember reading in various reviews of GT's, the auto is not the ideal tranny for that motor. I have to think the 3.0 6 will be a better match for the auto. Plus, you get extra goodies like the suspension upgrades and color your SO likes.

BTW, I don't actually own a Subie (yet), but I'm in the process of lusting over a '08 Spec. B, which I've test driven a few times. I love the 6-speed! So, just offering my 2 cents....Good luck!

Guest Gitster

Opinions are like ... oh well you know what theyre like ;)

if your not modding then go with the 3.0r

it's been a smooth engine with enough pickup to get you on the highway quickly.

btw this my second h-6

plus you will be getting some very nice looking rims like these

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/car%20show%208-18-06%20web%2002.JPG

Howdy! i'm intrigued at your GT vs. 3.0 question. Like you, I'm an old dude (54) and there ain't no way I'd mod my car. I'd have the same question you do were I in the market for a new Leg. (which I'm not)

I'm a straight-line driver (i.e., mostly interstate), so why in heaven's name did I buy the turbo? answer, all there was back in '05. I fell in love with the appearance of the Legacy and I decided to indulge my life-long desire for a turbocharged car. I've not been disappointed!

I guess, for me, the deciding factor would be acceleration at highway speeds as when passing another car. I've become addicted to the ability of my LGT to move out big time, from say, 75, up to 85-90, when "necessary." If the 3.0 can't match the turbo, that would probably decide things for me. One possible mitigating factor would be the gearing. Like many others on this board, I wish that the turbo tach'd a few hundred RPMs less than it does at highway speeds, but, at the same time, I guess that's why the turbocharger is ready to spool up to "answer the call," when it comes.

It will be fun to hear what you decide. regards, eljayi

i'm way out of my depth . . .

I'm old too (50), don't mod (I like dependability), drive an auto (did the stick for a long time and am over it), and would prefer no turbo lag (I'm getting used to it), so given the choice, I would go with the six (personally I would wait until they were giving them away-my leftover '05 was $6000 off sticker).

And mweiner...I am not sure what exactly you meant, but I take offence if you were insinuating a GT is too powerful for us old farts:

GT will have more power than you know what to do with, but it will be slow to come on.

It is still ugly.

My XT had more power than I knew what to do with when I first got it. Took a while to get used to. Then I got bored with it. Then I went stage2 and scared myself again...for awhile... now I'm bored with it again.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I was in a similar situation as you, although I am about half your age :) We ended up going with the 2.5GT (should be here in a couple of weeks) simply because it is a proven engine, gets decent mileage and has a little more torque. Plus if we get bored with it, as several have eluded to, it has decent mod potential, everything from simple exhaust and intake to full changes.

Funny, I'm in the same boat as you and the auto with the turbo doesn't seem right.

My wife drives the car about 85% of the time here also, and she would like an auto.

I did drive the 3.0R the other day and it shifted really smooth and had quite a bit of power, surprisingly. Not like my M/T GT but more than adequate. The auto is perfect for this car.

I also went to the dealership and looked at the Harvest Gold and the Quartz silver side by side and the silver is way better. Not crazy about the chrome sill strips, which really stood out with the gold, but blended in with the quartz.

Wheels looked much better on the quartz too.

The interior with the taupe leather looked okay but the black dash and upper door panels look kind of funky.

Still working out some details with my trade, but it looks like a quartz silver 3.0R is in the very near future.

For the same price, make your wife happy (85% of the time).

I am guessing automatic, are they both 6 speed?

I'll also guess, the 3.0 is a tad better as a hiway crusier, probably a bit quieter @ speed.

If your wife is driving it 90% of the time, I'd let her drive both, and then she should make the decison. The main difference is the lag, and the torque produced. Minor difference in MPG. I drove the LLBean Outback before my LGTwagon, and the 3.0 is much smoother. If your wife wants a sports sedan, get the spec B, if she wants a touring sedan, then get the 3.0. If she wants a car that is pink with blue kittens painted on it, well then you can object.

BTW, I drive like I'm old, but I still like the LGT. Couple months a go my wife had the car, and someone didn't yield at a merge. Since was at cruising speed, she was able to accelerate around and avoid a nasty accident with my precious LGT. She said had she been in her forester, she would have had not so free ride to the emergency room. Torque is a good thing, when used properly. (not sure this has any thing to do with your decision, but just crossed my mind as I was finshing up my post...)

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Auto with paddle shifter manual mode. After 1000mi, I average 21.4mpg with mixed city and highway driving (I am a maniac so you may get better as my MPG gauge is rarely in the middle let alone in the +). Acceleration is way more than my 190hp '00 2.5rs(5mt), but not nearly as dynamic, just doesn't feel as fast even though I'm doing 20mph more. 75mph set on the cruise is peaceful going up I95 even with the sun roof open wide. The auto and 'puter do a wonderful job of keeping the 6 where it belongs when going straight, way better than me playing with the paddles although you may want to use the - paddle coming into a corner to keep a neutral throttle, and it is an auto and a little slushy off the line. Si-drive settings do make a big difference in fun or economy. I don't have the specs in front of me but the weight difference between the 4 and 6 isn't more than like 50lbs.

These are my opinions and as stated above we all know the saying is

3.0R for smoother, less racecar ride

2.5GT for more torque, more racier

3.0R has something like 30 less ft/lbs of torque (someone can indulge us with exact figures) so it's goig to be less punchy as others have said. On the other hand, it should drive alot smoother.

I got an '08 2.5GT Auto, and I effin love it!! SOOOO much fun to drive!! The AT is not bad at all IMO, especially if your not buying it solely for a racecar (which if you were, you would probably go get an STI). It shifts GREAT in D, and is pretty responsive in Sport Shift. Plenty of power with no mods, want more... get more mods!

BTW: Red Beast... that avatar is disturbing in so many ways! LMAO

Archived