LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake + Autospeed CBE Review

aperfectlegacy

2007 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 5EAT w/ SPT intake and Autospeed cat-back exhaust

Video: (Exterior Rev's, Take off, and In-car) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ORWhS-ynp0]YouTube - 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Autospeed Exhaust[/ame]

Let's start with the SPT intake:

1. Yes, it is loud (unless you drive you car under 2500 rpm constantly). The intake becomes quite vocal and "whooshy" between 3000-5000 rpm's.

2. Yes, it makes the bypass valve infinitly more audible. Sounds quite nice when you let off the throttle (but who wants to do that!?)

3. Installation is straight-forward and rather idiot proof.

4. Aesethically pleasing :)...

Now for the Autospeed CBE:

1. Fitment leaves A LOT to be desired. The driveshaft rub was so severe that the exhaust had to be dimpled using a rubber mallet and sandbags. Adjusting the mufflers correctly in the rear valence to line up the tips was also a treat requiring modifications to the factory hanger brackets.

2. Ahh, the all important issue of tone. Of course this is all subjective and everyone will have their opinions. Obviously, I am going to provide mine here. Overall, the exhaust is much quieter than I had expected (which isn't a bad thing at all). That being said - the catback gives a nice, deep boxer rumble, which nearly disappears when it should and opens up when it should. Its a very subtle, classy cat-back. There is some droning (or rumbling, not sure how to describe it) at interstate speeds, but it can be easily ignored by turning the stereo to a volume of 3 or so. At wot, this exhaust comes alive nicely, with a throaty, deep sound.

3. Bottom line - Look somewhere else if you want to avoid frustration with your catback exhaust. I nearly pulled my hair out with this system. However, if you are patient and willing to work at it, this system best fits the personality of the Legacy GT (in terms of looks, sound, etc.).

Also, I'm thinking about adding the Cobb SS 3" Downpipe and running their Accessport Stage 2 map (when they release the 07 update that is)

Hope this helps. Peace.

Wasn't there a thread some time ago in which COBB tested the SPT intake and found it created less power than the standard airbox due to swirling around the airflow sensor? What's a good place to see the exhaust? Will it fit wagons?

^^Autospeed discontinued the wagon exhaust :(. Did you search for the exhaust on youtube? I have a video up on there (see the link above). There is also another video on youtube showcasing the full turboback. If not try www.autospeedperformance.com As far as the intake goes, I would be highly

skeptical that it decreases performance. The standard airbox seemed highly restrictive as I removed it for the install. I have heard that the SPT intake creates turbulance around the MAF, but I have no idea about the performance ramifications of such. As far as a subjective measure of power, I would say that the intake was at least good for 5-10 foot pounds of torque as the car seemed to pull harder (especially at the higher rpm/speed range). I would love to get the car dyno'ed but I have no idea where the nearest AWD dyno is. I will have to do some research and post some numbers.

• 1 month later...

Well, everything previously reported here regarding the Autospeed TBE is indeed true. Sound and Look are simply awesome and WAY APPROPRIATE for the LGT - loving it!! :wub: Nuff said.

However, I also PULLED my hair out with this installation as (1) there was no documentation whatsoever. No biggie here. Just had to play lego puzzles for a little while. If someone has little mechanical/auto-repair experience, this is not for them (2) FITMENT - SUCKS ASS IMO for what I expect from this priced item. Still not fixed. I had no driveshaft rubbing but it's really close. It's also very close to the rear sway. The middle/resonator hanger is fine. The muffler hangers needed mucho manipulation/stretching and the mufflers still DON'T LOOK RIGHT. One side sticks out more then the other. The passenger side is touching/rubbing the plastic and I just can't position it centered the way it should be. I guess I'm gonna have to try Kartboy hangers or something. Someone please chime in if you have the fix. (3) FITMENT to COBB Catted DP - not good. Cobb DP actually has a smaller opening then the TBE but that's a minor issue. Flanges line up fine but need manipulation while tightening to center - no biggie. OEM bolts become useless and no one warned me. I had to take my bike to Home Depot while leaving my LGT mid-air to buy 5/16" x 2" bolts with washers and lock-washers. UGH! Some have drilled out the Cobb flange to use the OEM bolts. Whatever works I guess.

System is beautiful though and sounds amazing. This is the exact sound and level of sound I was looking for. Wish they'd work out these BS issues though.

:confused:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

For a good experiment I would reccomend using a good panel filter in the stock airbox. From measuring the diameter of the factory intake system it shouldn't be restrcitive until above 380 Hp. Also, the factory airbox does allow for consistant maf readings at all RPMs, that is my major concern about the SPT piece. It's also the main reson Accessport maps arent recommended with the SPT intake for this car.

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/TestingoftheSPTIntakeSystemfortheLegacyGTv1.03.pdf

the factory air filter is a restriction at stock power levels (a small restriction though.)

I think most of the gain you are feeling is because of the filter only, if you try the stock airbox with a good filter it should feel the same/better.

For a good experiment I would reccomend using a good panel filter in the stock airbox. From measuring the diameter of the factory intake system it shouldn't be restrcitive until above 380 Hp. Also, the factory airbox does allow for consistant maf readings at all RPMs, that is my major concern about the SPT piece. It's also the main reson Accessport maps arent recommended with the SPT intake for this car.

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/TestingoftheSPTIntakeSystemfortheLegacyGTv1.03.pdf

the factory air filter is a restriction at stock power levels (a small restriction though.)

I think most of the gain you are feeling is because of the filter only, if you try the stock airbox with a good filter it should feel the same/better.

I went from a K&N panel filter in my stock airbox with a removed silencer to the SPT intake and could still feel a difference. The power delivery feels more consistent. With the stock airbox, the low end felt a little empty but with the SPT, it's better -- not off-the-wall better, but still better. Enough so that I'd recommend it. I don't have dyno numbers to prove it, but I can definitely feel it. Even my girlfriend can feel it :).

With the stock airbox, the low end felt a little empty but with the SPT, it's better -- not off-the-wall better, but still better. Enough so that I'd recommend it. I don't have dyno numbers to prove it, but I can definitely feel it.

Are you the same guy that recommended the "product from Sun Automobile called the Hot InaZma Eco"?:rolleyes:

stock airbox is not restrictive. SPT intake is the worst intake you can put on legacy

TDC tunning:

1) SPT Intake - Not very effective on any level of car. A lot of turbulence and unpredictable readings from the placement of the MAF sensor. Harder to tune, less power overall then other intakes. LOUD

This intake skews maf readings because its inside diameter is smaller than a stock intake. Being smaller changes how the MAF sees airflow and how it is interpreted into LOAD by the ecu.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48882

forgot to add: since your car is not tuned and SPT intake is smaller in diameter than stock - what's happening is that your ECU thinks MORE air is coming in and dumps in more fuel - so your car runs richer.

In reality, LESS air is coming in than stock and more fuel is burned - engine runs richer

^ the more i drive the car, the more i come to the startling realization that the spt intake is less than i had hoped for. +1 for the intake causing a rich state. my exhaust tips are constantly coated in carbon. not to mention, i can NOT make over 15.9 mpg in the city no matter how hard or nice i drive (according to the lying trip computer that is). so there may be a slightly used spt intake on the market soon. any suggestions for a better aftermarket intake? or shall i wait until cobb releases theirs. i don't drive the car that often as of now, so i'm not concerned about gas milage or running rich (for now).

keep stock box and replace stock panel filter with AVO panel filter

otherwise, you can go with AEM cold air intake which you must get tuned

^ the more i drive the car, the more i come to the startling realization that the spt intake is less than i had hoped for. +1 for the intake causing a rich state. my exhaust tips are constantly coated in carbon. not to mention, i can NOT make over 15.9 mpg in the city no matter how hard or nice i drive (according to the lying trip computer that is). so there may be a slightly used spt intake on the market soon. any suggestions for a better aftermarket intake? or shall i wait until cobb releases theirs. i don't drive the car that often as of now, so i'm not concerned about gas milage or running rich (for now).

forgot to add: since your car is not tuned and SPT intake is smaller in diameter than stock - what's happening is that your ECU thinks MORE air is coming in and dumps in more fuel - so your car runs richer.

In reality, LESS air is coming in than stock and more fuel is burned - engine runs richer

I'm assuming you are getting your info from COBB. First off, off topic a little, they never used the heat shield, and thats why they got major heat soak, and a great loss in power. Secondly I highly doubt they reset the ECU so it was able to adapt to the new SPT intake. Subaru states that in order to avoid running lean, the ECU must be reset. I bet all they did was hook it up and dyno it. You can't do that, and assume everything is going to operate correctly. I cant believe you all trust COBB not even knowing the full details on how they tested it. Subaru is not going to sell an intake or any other part for that matter without thorough testing. Why would they just throw an intake on the market causing the car to run lean potentially damaging an engine that they would have to repair under warranty costing them money. Sorry, but its just not going to happen. If you still have your doubts, contact COBB and get further details, and Subaru to get further details on their testing process.

dude, the intake was tested by Cobb and TDC and other tuners.

It's very simple: the diameter of the tube is less than the diameter of stock box. Which means your SPT intake sucks in LESS air than stock and also hotter air than stock.

Since MAF sensor is the same and ECU tables are designed for stock box, the smaller tube in SPT intake gives LESS air and the engine still thinks the volume of air is the same as stock box because MAF sensor only measures a portion of air coming in using MAF tables

ANY AFTERMARKET INTAKE must be tuned. :spin:

learn to read: car runs RICH, not lean and SPT intake is garbage

I'm assuming you are getting your info from COBB. First off, off topic a little, they never used the heat shield, and thats why they got major heat soak, and a great loss in power. Secondly I highly doubt they reset the ECU so it was able to adapt to the new SPT intake. Subaru states that in order to avoid running lean, the ECU must be reset. I bet all they did was hook it up and dyno it. You can't do that, and assume everything is going to operate correctly. I cant believe you all trust COBB not even knowing the full details on how they tested it. Subaru is not going to sell an intake or any other part for that matter without thorough testing. Why would they just throw an intake on the market causing the car to run lean potentially damaging an engine that they would have to repair under warranty costing them money. Sorry, but its just not going to happen. If you still have your doubts, contact COBB and get further details, and Subaru to get further details on their testing process.

I dont know where the heck your getting YOUR info from but I think you need to look into it a little more. The COBB test was total BS, and the ECU will adapt when reset. COBB does not reccomend a tune with the SPT intake. I still take Subarus side on this one. and let me quote myself: "Subaru is not going to sell an intake or any other part for that matter without thorough testing. Why would they just throw an intake on the market causing the car to run lean potentially damaging an engine that they would have to repair under warranty costing them money."

a) car runs rich and NO ECU won't adjust. MAF tables are hardcoded.

b) read this carefully:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48882

c) search

d) the intake on your car is garbage and NO, you cannot justify your purchase to us. Yes, you can justify it to yourself. You will get less power and dirtier engine with less gas milage with your SPT intake unless you tune the car.

I dont know where the heck your getting YOUR info from but I think you need to look into it a little more. The COBB test was total BS, and the ECU will adapt when reset. COBB does not reccomend a tune with the SPT intake. I still take Subarus side on this one. and let me quote myself: "Subaru is not going to sell an intake or any other part for that matter without thorough testing. Why would they just throw an intake on the market causing the car to run lean potentially damaging an engine that they would have to repair under warranty costing them money."

http://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/gun_gun.gifhttp://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/rl.gif

http://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/shootme.gif

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I know. The problem is Carter chooses to ignore what's written in this and other threads and went as far as saying that Cobb are stupid etc.

Sure, Subaru and any other firm will sell you anything as long as you pay. One can go and buy dog's poop as long as he/she doesn't try to convince others that it's good stuff.

http://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/gun_gun.gifhttp://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/rl.gif

http://www.longislandsubaruclub.com/forums/images/smilies/shootme.gif

I dont know where the heck your getting YOUR info from but I think you need to look into it a little more. The COBB test was total BS, and the ECU will adapt when reset. COBB does not reccomend a tune with the SPT intake.

I am happy to go into details concerning these tests. I will try to not get defensive, but I have a few things I would like to state:

We only performed these tests because our AccessPORT users asked us to.

We have nothing against Subaru or any performance parts they may brand.

I actually made the raw test data available to those that requested it when we originally released this report, I recall e-mailing the raw data to 4 different people so that they could make their own analysis/conclusions/graphs, etc.

Now, with that stated, we spent extensive time resetting the ECU, driving with the intake system installed, etc. If you read through our article you will note that "This intake was tested over an extended period of time which allowed the ECU to make any fueling corrections it found fit during closed loop operations. These corrections made by the ECU can be seen in the datalogged variables, A/F Trim Immed. & A/F Trim Learned. We re-set the ECU and tested this intake immediately after an ECU re-set to see how accurate the fuel and ignition advance calculations are using a stock Intake Calibration (MAF calibration). This showed us how well this intake worked with a stock Intake Calibration (MAF calibration) setting found in all AccessPORT performance maps." We really allowed the tests to be as impartial as possible.

We did not have the ability to test with the heatshield because it "was not available" at the time according to our local Subaru dealerships. Regardless, a heatshield that is not moderately or totally sealed air tight to an ambient air source will not change ANY heat soak characteristics. Aluminum will more quickly absorb and dissipate heat than most other common automotive manufacturing metals. We recognized this and completely changed our intake system from aluminum to an very non-thermal conductive material. Again, I am happy to go into testing details if you would like me to. Upon last inspection of this intake system, I noticed that nothing in its design or manufacturing process appears to have changed so my guess is that this intake still performs similar to the ones we tested did.

Take care,

Christian.

I know. The problem is Carter chooses to ignore what's written in this and other threads and went as far as saying that Cobb are stupid etc.

Sure, Subaru and any other firm will sell you anything as long as you pay. One can go and buy dog's poop as long as he/she doesn't try to convince others that it's good stuff.

You're starting to become a nuisance. I never stated COBB was stupid. I may plan on getting the AP depending on how I feel later on with my car. I just dont want an interference when it comes to the intake. When COBB told me a tune with the SPT intake will "Damage my engine" that makes me think twice, especially when there is no reason given. I did buy the SPT intake and I am not justifiing buying it. I bought it because it wont void my warranty. And when people here say that even just the intake can cause engine damage, clarification is needed, proof is needed. I have yet to hear about a damaged engine from the SPT intake.

Anyone here who will deny the fact that Subaru wont put out junk for their vehicles needs a lesson. What benefit does Subaru get in selling junk that causes damage to your engine that they would need to repair?? Is the ~$210 Subaru is selling it for worth the risk?? No. If you disagree with that, well I'm sorry, but its true.

I would be more than willing to get rid of the intake and heat shield. I spent a lot less on the pair than MSRP. Money isnt an issue for me. If I find an intake that strikes me as good, then I'll go for it. I would like to see what COBB has in development for a GT intake that would be compatible with the AP. If the results are promising, then I will consider it. But to be honest, I still think that the COBB test isnt accurate without the heatshield. Every good intake now has a heatshield and that test wasnt exactly fair. I know that it would make a big difference with the heat shield.

If I go AP, there goes my warranty anyway. I am just looking for hardcore evidence that the SPT intake has major flaws. 1/32" is so minute, were talking a 20# paper thinkness here....Thats hardly restrictive. The only thing I can think of with the Air flow problem is heat. Hot air is less dense than cold air. I have requested info from SPT about this "restriction" and "design flaws" but have yet to hear back from them.

Archived