LegacyGT.com

Bad rattling from front when turning over uneven surfaces

t0ad

Anyone have an issue like this? I noticed it a little before I had my superpro LCA bushings pressed in, and now that they're in the rattling sound is way worse. It only happens when i'm slowly driving and turning while on uneven terrain like gravel or rough roads. I've looked under the car and everything I can get to seems very tight.. could it be in the steering rack itself?

I'll double check, but i'm pretty sure they were tight. Everything was put back on pretty friggin' tight when they put my bushings in from what I could tell as I watched.

Mine always did it stock....and now that you mention it...it does do it more and louder since the SuperPros were put it.

I'm not to worried about it unless it starts doing it on every turn or on bumps when the wheel is straight.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Subaru Steering rattle

Summary

• Description: Loud thunking and/or rattling coming from the steering or suspension components during turns into a road depression, such as a driveway or off the pavement to a highway shoulder. In some cases it may be felt in the steering wheel.
  • Affects: 1995 to 2007 Legacy & Outback, or any 90s Subaru with the rack & pinion steering system.
  • Diagnosis: Current theory states that it is caused by components internal to the rack & pinion steering system shifting as the suspension absorbs the bump.
  • Reported solutions: No official solutions. Dealers usually say the sounds is "normal." One owner has found that spraying a rust preventative on the suspension components deadens the sound.
  • Detrimental effects: None known.

Every Subaru I drove had that clunking noise: Outback, LEgacy, Forester, Impreza... it appears to be normal (engineering defect)

Fark .. I was afraid of that. Good that it's not a 'bad' thing, but pretty depressing to hear that there's no real solution to it though .. it just makes the car sound a lot cheaper than it is when it happens :(

Archived