LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

AVO makes a turbo kit for the Impreza. It has fit issues with Legacy 2.5i due to a top mount intercooler. Ross and I are working on a new FMIC kit for the '05+ Impreza/Legacy 2.5i. At the end of this month. Full production kits will be avilable late summer this year.

Here is a link to the current turbo kit for Impreza 00-04:

http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html

I welcome your input!

Sean S.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AVO makes a turbo kit for the Impreza. It has fit issues with Legacy 2.5i due to a top mount intercooler. Ross and I are working on a new FMIC kit for the '05+ Impreza/Legacy 2.5i. At the end of this month. Full production kits will be avilable late summer this year.

Here is a link to the current turbo kit for Impreza 00-04:

http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html

I welcome your input!

Sean S.

will our engines be able to handle max psi of this turbo kit?

will our engines be able to handle max psi of this turbo kit?

The kit is designed to run @ 5psi. The stock engines can handle up to 5psi on pump gas with proper tuning no worries.

(Most run into issues with DIY turbo kits because minimum boost on most turbos is 8psi, which is just too much for the stock engine. A low pressure turbo kit needs proper engineering and tuning)

-Sean S.

This is a cheaper route for people who either have a car thats paid off, keeping the car for the long run, or do not wish to lose a good chunk of coin on trading in for a gt.

i might consider this after my warranty is out... i paid in full when i picked up my car ;)

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

On another note...

Only running at low boost would allow for the use of a smaller and/or faster spooling turbocharger. This would compensate for no MAD upper rpm boost, and make it much more streetable as an everyday driver with a flatter powerband. I know the older wrx's with auto trannies made use of a smaller turbo to compensate for it having a slushbox auto tranny with less gears, although it still ran much higher boost than we are talking here.

Also, if someone is going to use a FMIC, boost MAY be allowed to go a little higher. A cooler air charge allows either less octane, or more psi. The whole formula for boost is like a fire triangle. PSI, octane, and air temperature. All three directly relate to detonation. Mess the ratio up, and KABOOM. No one should ever touch a car if they cant chat these three to the cars' owner. If they dont know, they dont know how to tune. Modify one, and it affects the others. The drawback to a FMIC is longer lag time due to more cubic feet of tubing that has to be pressurized before "boost" is acheived. Also, if only 5-6 psi is needed, then a turbo that can generate 30 psi is WAAAAYYYYY out of context here, although cfm does play a small role. Thats like grandma with a 600 hp blown grocery getter corvette or something. You just wont use it, and it will not operate as good as something designed for the task.

I see a huge benefit of having a tiny turbocharger boost instantly, and then allow that same 5-6 psi to apply to the entire powerband, especially for someone that drives at elevations higher than sea level. Imagine a dyno curve entirely raised entirely about 20 hp minimum. This same rational idea is like saying a N/A Honda is faster than a scooby due to more horsepower only in the last 1000 rpm of acceleration = big huge top end turbo VS. a N/A Subaru that has loads of broad rpm horsepower across a larger section of rpms = small broad rpm turbo. Basically, how much shifting do you want to do to equal the same thing? There are pros and cons to each depending on use. I dont know any hondas that have the torque or ability to start in 2nd gear(although my VX can in 3rd. hehehehe). Anyone?

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

I think it will do right at, or better with exhaust and intake, than 200 crank hp IF someone picks the right components, and has a proper tune done. I cannot think of a single reason why it wouldnt. Hell, some custom exhausts on restrictive oem designs yield that much increase. Subaru doesnt have that problem though.:lol:

gees, it's like 2000 all over again. people with their blowing somethin up comments. sean, when did you put your avo kit on? yesterday? thanks for the worries guys, really. your wisdom is so overpowering, that it spilleth over from the turbo powertrain forum, and into the n/a powertrain forum.

if you don't have anything to gain in the na powertrain forums, because you bought a turbo gt, keep your tired comments to yourselves. the "i told you so" trolls need to poo off. you aren't helping avo's cause, rallitek's cause, or a person interested in putting a turbo-kit on their cheap, or paid off, base legacy...

Lol. Did I not predict almost exactly the look of a blown N/A graph with the exception of a little more gain above midway? Between 20 and 30 minimum across the whole powerband. Hard to predict the maximum of certain parts of the powerband without knowing component specifics. I am a very critical person, so I see the whole band, and that is VERY good.:)

Now that is a torquey powerband indeed!!!!! Thats close to the 04 Forester XT powerband too. Minus the EJ255? motor change!!!!!!

gees, it's like 2000 all over again. people with their blowing somethin up comments. sean, when did you put your avo kit on? yesterday?

Good point!

The Stage2 AVO kit on my Impreza has been on there since 2002. I use the car mostly for track use! I have taken it on 1000 mile trips with the AVO kit installed. I get 30mpg @ 70mph and do not burn even a little oil between changes.

There are over 300 AVO turbo kits in use around the USA right now.

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

Lol. Did I not predict almost exactly the look of a blown N/A graph with the exception of a little more gain above midway? Between 20 and 25 across the whole powerband. :)

your math is a little off, it is about 100hp at peak output...

sean, that's the sheet from your RS, right?

gees, it's like 2000 all over again. people with their blowing somethin up comments. sean, when did you put your avo kit on? yesterday? thanks for the worries guys, really. your wisdom is so overpowering, that it spilleth over from the turbo powertrain forum, and into the n/a powertrain forum.

if you don't have anything to gain in the na powertrain forums, because you bought a turbo gt, keep your tired comments to yourselves. the "i told you so" trolls need to poo off. you aren't helping avo's cause, rallitek's cause, or a person interested in putting a turbo-kit on their cheap, or paid off, base legacy...

I agree, some of the GT guys are more negative than positive, it's our n/a's. I think we should be able to do whatever we want with them.

Did I mention anywhere peak? No. I said minimum. Last time I checked, my college algebra average was still 100. Whats yours? I dont care about maximums for a couple hundred rpm because I knows da diffrnce and what it means to desire one over the other. Ones bragging rights, and one is taillights.

Archived