LegacyGT.com

JDM ACC Controller.. CLICK ME!

MaStaMooN

Would you donate money for this to happen?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you donate money for this to happen?

• Yes
    • No

SEE POST #38 for latest Details!!!!

I know there is another thread, but not sure if anybody but the people wanting one is looking at it.. so I wanted to post this question in a new thread to catch more looks..

Is there no electrical guru's here who have figured out 10 different ways to connect an IPOD or any of the various electronic tweaks that wouldn't like to give this JDM ACC thing a go? With TDC being so tight lipped about this thing that works for them, but cannot even give us a tiny bit of info on how it works or if/when it will be released.. Don't any of you guys wanna jump in there and try to get this to work before them?

I personally don't care if its color matched or displays the wrong temp (F vs. C) or if the right knob controls the left or whatever.. I just want to buy one of these things and get some good tunes in my car without having 2 flippin radios installed. CS/3sixty or whatever, don't interest me.. I wanna take the POS we have in there out and replace it.

If one of you EE's or gurus wanna take this on.. lets get a donation thing going and see if we can this to work sometime in the next couple months..

Anybody?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about picking one up to try it out, but I've been busy getting the exterior of my car in shape. I'm doing an interior swap in a few weeks so I will probably order one some time after that.

Hope someone else can pick up the ball and run with it.

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

Everyone that's tried it (read: two or three people) have succeeded; however, there were days of work involved, lots of liability with cannibalizing the old unit, and long term stability was undetermined.

They did it, but I don't think they want to do it as a full time job.

Did it with the JDM ACC add-on? Or you mean hacking the stock radio/acc? Im talking about...

Ah, gotcha. Well, from what I understand, the first issue at hand was making that unit fit properly. After that, I guess it would be fashioning a kit for the remaining gap, and creating a wire harness to separate the power for the new HU, and that HVAC. I guess.

Don't know who on here is qualified that would actually take the time to create all that.

Like has been mentioned, the first question is the pin out of that controller. It is almost certainly different than the US spec car since there's no power on US 8-pin connector if I remember correctly.

Look around some more because you're not the first one to try that controller...well, possibly the first to try the dual-zone version but others have tried the single-zone version with little success.

Something I've always wondered is - the ACC unit controls everything over CAN to the BIU right? So - if you have a CAN-compliant ODBII chip, could you control the HVAC system over the ODBII? ...might be an interesting possibility for the carputer peeps...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Something I've always wondered is - the ACC unit controls everything over CAN to the BIU right? So - if you have a CAN-compliant ODBII chip, could you control the HVAC system over the ODBII? ...might be an interesting possibility for the carputer peeps...

Reading through some other posts about this dual zone and the single zone that has already been tried.. it seems that these really are just remote controls for the HVAC system. One post had showed somebody having their AC on and then removing the system and plugging this one and and the AC was still running.. meaning something else IS actually commanding the heat/ac/fans to work.. which should mean its should be nothing but a what pin goes where kinda deal.

Maybe ive missed this posted before.. but before today, i thought the unit itself was the brains.. not just a remote control. Which makes me even more disturbed that its taking so long to get this working.. when a skilled EE or something like that could figure it out pretty simply... again, with all the EE's working on a AUX-in project that you already basically filled.. i wonder why nobody wants to try to get this to work?!

Im starting to consider just getting the AVO double din and calling it quits.. this is really getting on my nerves waiting and waiting and waiting, especially when you know its not still being worked on by TDC.. they have a "working" setup and just wont give us any more detail than that.

What I was hoping is that one of you EE's or just somebody who is a electronic gadget kinda guy would stand up and say, ill give it a go if.... Then maybe we could get some interested members to kick in a set amount of cash to get the piece for you to mess with. Id rather spend 50 bucks now and get this to work, than wait around for 6 more months or more and/or spend money going another route only for this to work out down the road.

It just feels as if we are so close.. people have spent alot of time, money and energy working around this problem, when we have a pretty good chance of getting this to work with out big issue.

What I was hoping is that one of you EE's or just somebody who is a electronic gadget kinda guy would stand up and say, ill give it a go if.... Then maybe we could get some interested members to kick in a set amount of cash to get the piece for you to mess with. Id rather spend 50 bucks now and get this to work, than wait around for 6 more months or more and/or spend money going another route only for this to work out down the road.

It just feels as if we are so close.. people have spent alot of time, money and energy working around this problem, when we have a pretty good chance of getting this to work with out big issue.

Possibly. I imagine we dont have access to schematics for either the stock HU or this JDM part, but at least a wiring diagram or a high level block diagram would be helpful. I'm maybe willing to give it a go, but I dont want to set myself up to fail either. I'm pretty sure we have a wiring diagram for the stock HU. Do we have one for the JDM part?

Go Cardinals!

I dont think so. AFAIK anyway but I dont read every post on this board neither. What I was thinking is that if we have the stock diagram.. and the pin outs on what wire goes to where... Im pretty sure it shows what wire/s the ACC stuff goes over... IIRC, somebody here (jazzy?) hooked up some sort of scope that he used to check out what kinda signal each button sent out when pressed.. I was thinking that we could do the same and press a few of the ACC buttons on the stock radio.. then do the same for the JDM part and see if you can figure out what goes where.

Im no EE nor understand what all those things do on a PCB, but i figure with some equipment that you EE's have/use along with being able to open both up and look at the traces and that kinda stuff, could probably figure something out pretty quick.

I got a quote from japanparts.com for the part.. turns out its only 261 + 25 shipping... so 286/5 or more is only 57 bucks... and that goes down with each person willing to send an equal part. Im good for $50 for sure

It does stink that with that 50 bucks, this part if we figure it out and is cheap to get working, turns into a 300 dollar part even before like maybe painting it or anything else.. that ontop of a good DD radio.. jeez.... Subaru really shafted us with this integrated radio/acc thing... damn.

None of these wires show being the output for the HVAC? The stereo schmatic manual located on this site seems to have some pretty detailed mappings of the radio/hvac... but I dont really know what im lookin at.

http://www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/0505cqef1561l.pdf

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l320/mastamo0n/bbb.gif

Okay, I'd be happy to take a look into this if you guys still want me to. My march is real busy, but I can definitely start really taking a crack into it in April.

For my credentials, I'm an EE from Purdue University. My main focus down there was Audio study and design, and also in industrial controls and power distribution. I also work at a rather large engineering company and have access other engineers who I could probably get an opinion from should I get stumped.

If anyone would rather someone else do it, thats fine. Just thought i'd offer, since I would really like this solution to work, and I know a lot of you guys are getting desperate for something here. Anyway, just let me know.

Go Cardinals!

You sound fine to me.. If the people who claimed they are willing to donate want to PM me or something, ill hook you up with my paypal or if we want to let meltdown order we can figure that out too... I dont care who orders, Id just like to see it happen soon.

Thanks!

Archived