LegacyGT.com

Installed the woodgrain!

John M

[img]http://moojohn.com/subaru/woodgrain.jpg[/img] "Genuine roseweood" from exoticwooddash.com Just a quick picture (with flash) from this morning. I'll take more inclusive ones this weekend when the weather cooperates. I absolutely hated the "80s boombox" silver; it made the car look too cheap for $30k. Yes, my car had the factory woodgrain and it did not match the new. I gave it a quick sand and sprayed with black trim paint for a stock appearance. I like the luxury look it has now. The kit includes wood for the ashtray and the storage bin / AC vents but I left them off for now. I'm working on a carputer w/ touchscreen that will be flushed between the vents. Then I'll put the woodgrain on for an OEM look. The clock / computer display will be moved to the ashtray location at that point and it will be painted black. Woodgrain will go on after that if I can make it look good.

[quote name='jedimaster']Is that the stuff from exoticwooddash.com? I want the cf kit...[/QUOTE] I like the sound of some real CF trim - did you see anything on that site? I looked around, but it wasn't very user-friendly. At least I didn't see anything specific for the LGT.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I saw a kit that was cf- not real cf, but the stick on kind, like what you see above- I think it'd look nice, but I don't want to be the first to try it and I think it's still a bit pricey for a bunch of stickers- once more manufacturers start making kits, the price should lower. BTW, JohnM- I like what you did with painting the trim pieces- it looks factory and much nicer than what comes with the car stock. And ignore my previous post- you answered that in your own post. reading > me :D

Patagonian GT - go to the "flat dash kits" section, enter the car's year & make, and pick your kit. They offer real and simulated carbon fiber in several colors. This is the best stick-on kit you'll find. The adhesive is a new super-thin type from 3M so the trim doesn't appear to hover above the surface. Everyone that's seen it in person says it looks factory.

Got it now. Thanks. Somehow, I couldn't get there before. Guess that Venti Starbucks helped! It says 'real carbon' - does that mean real fake carbon or real carbon fiber?? I am thinking the "synthetic gray wood" would look good with the black leather interior - kind like this Acura CL pic: [url]http://www.exoticwooddash.com/photogallery/photo565/wd346_lg.jpg[/url] I would like it better if it was real bird's eye maple. What do you all think?

[quote name='SFGR415']to be honest with you...wood grain is not my thing (although i do like that grey marble they use on the high end MB's) but this kit looks real nice and elegant compared to the shitty looking kits they make for many american cars.[/QUOTE] did you look at the pic I posted? It has the look you are speaking of.

[quote name='Patagonian GT']Got it now. Thanks. Somehow, I couldn't get there before. Guess that Venti Starbucks helped! It says 'real carbon' - does that mean real fake carbon or real carbon fiber?? I am thinking the "synthetic gray wood" would look good with the black leather interior - kind like this Acura CL pic: [url]http://www.exoticwooddash.com/photogallery/photo565/wd346_lg.jpg[/url] I would like it better if it was real bird's eye maple. What do you all think?[/QUOTE] They mean it is real carbon fiber. It is all stick-on no matter what you choose.

[quote name='John M']They mean it is real carbon fiber. It is all stick-on no matter what you choose.[/QUOTE] From what you said, the kit is very thin right? I don't think they would look good unless they were very thin.

Guest *Jedimaster*
So if it's not real CF and it looks just like it, why bother with the real CF? It's decoration and it's not like you're adding it for performance anyway.

Personally, I much prefer the stock titanium finish in my car. I think fake wood looks cheap and tacky. There is only one kind of wood worth putting in a car and that's the kind that comes from trees. I've never understood American's love affair with fake wood... Sly

If it looks good and it seriously looks real and it's just for decoration, why does it matter if it's fake? I don't think the ounces you're gonna save from a real carbon fiber dash are really gonna make any difference in the performance of the car. I would personally rather have the real stuff myself also, but if it looks good and you can't tell the difference, who cares?

You're talking carbon fiber, which is a different story. I could live with fake carbon fiber. But to my eyes, fake wood never looks good or real. If it looked and felt real then I wouldn't mind, but I haven't seen any fake wood that met that challenge. I love wood: I love working with it, touching it, looking at it. I find fake wood tacky, what can I say. To each his own!

[quote name='jedimaster']So if it's not real CF and it looks just like it, why bother with the real CF? It's decoration and it's not like you're adding it for performance anyway.[/QUOTE] Looks like they have both real and fake CF. The difference being about $50. I would like to see a pic with the real CF....either a whole dash shot or an up close pic to see the detail. I doubt I would use the whole kit anyways.......bits here and there for a different look, but a CF film (real or not) over the center console would be a bit obnoxious. The car has no pretensions of being a race car, so it might seem out of place.

[quote name='Patagonian GT']did you look at the pic I posted? It has the look you are speaking of.[/QUOTE]no...i didnt look at the link but that is not dark enough as i like...that is what comes stock on the acura cl's and tl's...i like it slightly darker

the thing that sucks about the carbon fiber kits are that the gel coat on them can get really scratched up and then the piece doesnt shine anymore and looks all scrathced up...trust me...ive seen many hondas and toyotas at my work with those kits and they dont hold up well unless you always keep them in good condition...maybe those poeople bought cheap kits...

• 8 months later...

Archived