LegacyGT.com

Stohlman Subaru wrecked my car (NOVA)

I recently moved to the DC area from Denver, CO and took my car to Stohlman Subaru to have a VA inspection performed and received a call two days later from the Service Manager asking me when I was going to pick up my vehicle? I mentioned to her that I would be in the following evening as I was working late. Then she proceeded to mention that I needed to see her when I picked up my car. Sensing that something was a bit odd, I asked if everything was okay and she responded "yeah, everything is fine." The following morning, when I arrived at work I had a voice mail from the Service Director (at 7am) telling me that my car "appeared" to have been in an accident (I'm pretty sure its easy to tell if it HAS or HAS NOT been in an accident). He mentioned the damage was minimal (approx. just over $1,000); when I arrived to see it later that day is was far from minimal. The kid driving my car at the dealership had taken a corner too tight and drove the right side of my car down the corner of another car on their lot. Both passenger doors are damaged (need to be replaced, not repaired), the rear passenger wheel is mangled, the rear quarter has damage as well as the rear bumper. TOTAL BODY SHOP ESTIMATE IS $3000!

Now if thats not enough, when I was at the dealership, the Service Manager was talking to my co-worker that brought me, and mentioned that the kid driving has been suspected of doing this to two other cars perviously, however he never fessed up and so they had no proof. Turns out, when talking to another porter at the dealership, I found out that the kid that wrecked my car was a terrible driver and can barely drive a manual transmission (which mine is). Nevertheless, I asked the dealership to buy my car and they offered me their "fairest" price of $18,000.

In addition to this, the loaner car which they gave me broke down and stranded me on my way home from NYC.

So now I'm stuck with my damaged car, that had never had ANY dings, dents or damage on it until it went to the Stohlman dealership for a $16 state inspection. Their insurance is going to cover it, however they are only going to REPAIR the damage with bondo and repaint it. They believe this will get the car back to the condition it was when I brought it in; which we all know is BS!

So in conclusion, I'm hoping to give everyone fair warning as to the terrific customer service that Stohlman Subaru provides :icon_roll so hopefully you will not be caught in the same or a similiar position as I was.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to lawyer up I'm afraid. Either that or try and take it up with the local BBB and then maybe SOA if you don't get anywhere.

I would want all those parts replaced or a new car myself, like you. Tell them to offer at least excellent dealer retail on it for trade in and then maybe you can up yourself to a new Spec.B? Otherwise threaten them with a lawsuit if they continue to be difficult.

That sux. Thats where my mom gets her car serviced (I'm assuming you went to the Vienna location). I go to the Herdon location, but either way they are all morons. I agree with Pinski, try to get a deal on a trade. Atleast, all parts should be replaced with new parts; but unfortunately the car will always have that "stigma" of being involved in an accident.

I work for a company that insures car dealerships. Most likely the company that insures the dealership is Sentry, Universal Underwriters, or Federated. I'm a licensed agent for one of them. :icon_bigg

From my knowledge of all of these policies, they are set up to indemnify the claimant. Which means not using bondo, unless the car is over 7 years old.

My guess is the dealership is taking you for a ride. They are probably giving the insurance company one estimate for replacement parts, and you another. The difference, they will try to pocket.

If I were you, I would ask them which company insures them, then contact them directly.

If I can be of any help, feel free to PM me.

I work for a company that insures car dealerships. Most likely the company that insures the dealership is Sentry, Universal Underwriters, or Federated. I'm a licensed agent for one of them. :icon_bigg

From my knowledge of all of these policies, they are set up to indemnify the claimant. Which means not using bondo, unless the car is over 7 years old.

My guess is the dealership is taking you for a ride. They are probably giving the insurance company one estimate for replacement parts, and you another. The difference, they will try to pocket.

If I were you, I would ask them which company insures them, then contact them directly.

Very good advise, I would do that. :)

Cool :) Hope it works out for him. He's really getting taken for a ride.

kujhawk80 - please PM me. I've got contact info for the regional SOA rep for this area. I'll give you my number and you can call me, and I'll make a call on your behalf. Perhaps I can help. I've had an open dialog with him about the quality of our local dealers and I'm sure he'd like to know about this.

Sorry you have to deal with these guy. I, too, have been screwed by their incompetent porters - one backed out WRX over the curb when parking it and bent the exhaust to the point it rattled. Brand new car....

-PGT

One more option I wanted to mention as well. If you have collision insurance on your car, you can make the claim with your insurance company. You would be out your deductibe until your insurance company subrogates against the car dealers insurance company, but it's another option.

Once your insurance company subrogates against the car dealers and gets their money back, you get your deductible back, and the claim would show zero payout on your insurance record, and thus not be counted against you.

In this scenario, the car dealers insurance company would have no choice but to pay what it costs your company to fix the car.

Subscribed as well. I'm dealing with a non-disclosed new car damage issue myself here in cali. Click here. I am very interested in how this goes for you.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

The last thing you want to do is let them do the repairs.

12345 +,,,,,,,,,,,, If it was me I'd get my car outa there,contact MY insurance co and let them take it from there.

You may have to eat your deductable fr awhile but in the long run you will get it back.

tell them to lick your hogmeat, and give you a new equivalent. I mean - don't go huge and shoot for one $5000 more than yours new...If they trashed an 05 GT, get an 06 GT.

Or, park outside the dealership with the damage facing the road with a sign, saying "This is what ABC XYZ Dealership did to me - and didn't make it right." Honk for them to fix it!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Archived