LegacyGT.com

The '05 Legacy ECM is way to smart....

It not only monitors just about everything...from doors being open to wheels speed to proper bulb operation and more. It can be "customized" for the following things (by your dealer...or anyone with a Subaru Select Monitor system and the proper cartridges): - Set the ECM/speedo, etc. for 18" wheels (upcoming option?) - Set all doors to lock or unlock with the key, or with the remote. - Option to turn NAVI on/off (upcoming option?) - turn on rear fog-light circuit (must have rear fog-light equipped taillamp lens). - Set the car to auto-lock itself (Off, 30 or 60 seconds) - Set the rear defogger to shut off after 15 mins or run until the switch is pressed. - Same for the wiper deicer (15 mins or continuous) - Turn the Security Alarm on/off - Turn the Impact sensor on/off - Alarm set delay (Can set the alarm to arm with the "lock" function or to delay for 30 seconds after the "lock" function. - Lockout prevention on/off (Won't allow doors to lock if one is open) - Alarm beeping on/off - Alarm parking lights flash on/off - You can disable the keyless entry portion of the remote (will just arm/disarm the alarm, not lock/unlock doors). - Set the interior lighting to auto-shut off after 30 minutes if door is left open. And more...pretty interesting stuff in the service manual... it also appears that you can swap the A/C systems control unit (single zone & dual zone) if you set the ECM for it....still reading

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='RoundBoy']so we *need* the dealership to do this ?[/QUOTE] It appears so... [quote name='canis']Opie, I had my impact sensor sensitivity dropped from 5 to 2, and I still can't get it to go off unless I drop the hood from about 2.5 feet![/QUOTE] Yeah, mine is stil st at the factory default (5) and I can't get it to go off...I guess I'll have them set it to 1 to see if that helps.

Thanks Opie for the info. I just picked up my '05 GT and haven't finished reading the manual. Could you tell me what the default condition is for the Auto Lock feature? Mine seems to be off, but I am hoping that I don't find out the hard way that it auto locks in a situation that I haven't been in yet. Harry

Perhaps this post that I linked to below could be of some help here. I'm not saying that the shock sensor has an adjustment inside it, but if it does, that's another option. [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49585&postcount=44"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49585&postcount=44[/url] BTW Opie, what does a Subaru Select device look like. How does it connect? (I'm assuming through the ODBII) Could you tell me where you found this information in the manual? I'd like to read that section! Thanks! HarryD, I'm pretty sure that the auto-lock is off. I'd love to have mine enabled if it works like it does on my GTP! It won't lock with the key in the ignition. And it makes it much easier to get the kids and all of their stuff out after closing the driver's door and putting the keys in your pocket!

• 3 months later...
[quote name='canis']Opie, I had my impact sensor sensitivity dropped from 5 to 2, and I still can't get it to go off unless I drop the hood from about 2.5 feet![/QUOTE] Most alarms i've dealt with..you turn UP the numbers for more sensitivity, not down.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hi guys, I finally made the jump and will pick my car up tomorrow...wwooooooooohoooo. I hope my Subaru treats me as well as my Nissan did. Got A Silver Wagon Limited, 5EAT with the subwoofer and will be ordering the Autodim with Homelink from Opie soon. Man I never thought I'd be driving a wagon, but it looks great ..way better than the sedan :p . Anyway, in regards to this thread. I wanted to get the dealer to program some things in the ECU and was hoping someone here with a manual can tell me what the default setting is for the Auto-lock feature. I honestly don't want the car doing this as my wifes' does it and it's a pain in the arse! Also, what's the default setting for the interior light Auto-shutoff after the car has been turned off? Thanks, Brian

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='wunderkind']I wonder if you were to overclock the ECU, will it make the Legacy go faster? say 1mhz = 1hp. :D[/QUOTE] Hehehe- or maybe some nice neons and a few other case mods- too bad it's under the floorboard.

Hadn't seen this thread for awhile but I'll try and answer some questions: [quote name='HarryD']Could you tell me what the default condition is for the Auto Lock feature? [/QUOTE] Default for the Auto Lock is "Off" [quote name='Trent Bates']BTW Opie, what does a Subaru Select device look like. How does it connect? (I'm assuming through the ODBII) Could you tell me where you found this information in the manual? I'd like to read that section! Thanks![/QUOTE] The current version of the Subaru Select Monitor looks like an oversized multimeter, about 12"W x 6"D x 3"H. It has a red or green rubber protective sleeve and plugs into the OBDII port. It uses different cartridges depending on the car. To see a pic of the Select Monitor and where I found most of this info look in the Service Manual > Body Section > LAN System (Diagnostics) > Subaru Select Monitor. [quote name='fbi012']so anyone know how to enable the auto-lock feature?[/QUOTE] I know the dealer can do it with the Select Monitor, not sure if it can be done by the user If it can be done by the user it should be outlined in the Owners Manual, I've never looked. [quote name='Triple Digits']It may be a smart ECU but it seems afflicted with early onset Alzhimers if extreme cold does stuff to it so it'll forget the seatbelt chime override or lock you out of the car.[/QUOTE] The "trick" outlined here to disable the seatbelt chime is temporary. I'm not sure exactly how or why it works (latching & unlatching belt) but the chime [b]can[/b] be turned off by the dealer using the select monitor. This way it will not come back on unless you have it re-enabled. [quote name='firedawgs']So, where did you find this info?? I know some of it is in the manual. Does every authorized Subaru dealership supposed to have one?[/QUOTE] All in the Service Manual, yes every dealership [i]should[/i] have both the Service Manuals and a Select Monitor tool. [quote name='mwiener2']Most alarms i've dealt with..you turn UP the numbers for more sensitivity, not down.[/QUOTE] From the Service Manual: [I]IMPACT SENSITIVITY ADJUSTMENT 1) Connect the Subaru Select Monitor to data link connector. 2) Turn the ignition switch to ON. 3) Select {Impact Sensor} from the main menu. 4) Make a {Sensitivity Adjustment Mode}. • Sensitivity can be adjusted in 11 levels (0 to 10). • Initial setting is 5. • [B]Smaller number means more sensitive. • Larger number means less sensitive.[/B] 5) Turn the ignition switch to OFF, and then remove the Subaru Select Monitor. NOTE: • Set the sensor so as not to let the alarm on normal vibration (reclining to the door, hit the ball and etc.). • Set the sensor to operate the alarm with hitting the door or window glass, etc. continuously like a mayhem by robbery. • Ask the customer about parking situation for setting, because the alarm operate when the vibration not only the burglar but also the construction, etc.[/I] [quote name='legacy_y_tu']Anyway, in regards to this thread. I wanted to get the dealer to program some things in the ECU and was hoping someone here with a manual can tell me what the default setting is for the Auto-lock feature.Also, what's the default setting for the interior light Auto-shutoff after the car has been turned off?[/QUOTE] Default for the Auto-Lock is "Off" Interior Light Auto-Shutoff can be adjusted...I just can't seem to find it now.... [quote name='racerdave']And to a bigger picture, how can we turn this stuff on and off ourselves? Is there any software that can be purchased to, say, hook a laptop up to it and enable/disable this stuff??[/QUOTE] Some of the settings can be adjusted by the owner, those that can be manually adjusted/set have instructions in the Owners Manual. I think the manually adjusted ones are very limited....no software currently availible. And I don't think the Select Monitors are availible to the public...if they are they are very expensive...around $6,000 for the unit not including any cartridges... [quote name='Deer Killer']If only there was a subaru enthusiast just as smart, we could change these values ourselves.. I don't know why Cobb doesn't do something, it should be easy with their architecture.[/QUOTE] Problem is Cobb (and ECUtek, etc) are changing the values in the ECU, the majority of these other functions are controlled by the Body Intergrated Unit (BIU) not the ECU. It's a totally different architecture. The car actually has an internal LAN that connects all of the car's systems, the BIU is the main unit, it processes and routes all the information gathered from the other units (ECU, TCU, etc.).

[quote name='Opie']Problem is Cobb (and ECUtek, etc) are changing the values in the ECU, the majority of these other functions are controlled by the Body Intergrated Unit (BIU) not the ECU. It's a totally different architecture. The car actually has an internal LAN that connects all of the car's systems, the BIU is the main unit, it processes and routes all the information gathered from the other units (ECU, TCU, etc.).[/QUOTE] Right, and who else has a field-updatable dongle? Just a matter of software.

Archived